Anyone have extended weight loss of over 2lbs a week?

Options
I brought this up about 3.5 weeks after starting MFP, but was brushed off with the "It's just water weight." I have about 66lbs to lose to get to my target weight. This is what has happened:

In mid feb (estimate around the 13th, because it was right after I moved) : 225lbs
March 13 (started using mfp regularly): 218lbs
Today : 201 lbs

If you look at Feb to now it averages to be about 2.2-2.3 lbs a week.
If you look at March to now it averages to be about 2.3 - 2.5 lbs a week.
Either way that's not what I'm aiming for. I was aiming for closer to 1lb a week.

I got a fitbit the other day (gift from hubby) and am hoping to figure out about what my average daily burn is. So far with exercise it is about 2300 a day (but it's only been 2 days, waiting till 4 weeks to truly determine). I know this will be just an estimate, but I'm hoping it can help pinpoint where I'm going wrong.

Currently my goal is set at : 1694 (using lightly active, MFP says 1.1 lb a week, custom goal using heybales spreadsheet for 0.8lbs fat loss per week)
I don't weigh my food. Yep, I tell people that they should invest in a scale to get more accurate calorie counts, but I personally don't have one. I do my best with measuring cups and I guess at the weight of meats unless it comes pre portioned. So I could very well be eating way over my allotted goal. And yes I do eat exercise calories back.
My food choices aren't perfect. I am always over on sodium. I sometimes go over goal by several hundred calories. In general, I'm eating smaller portions of foods that I was eating before. I still go out to eat. I have swapped a few items for healthier versions (like whole wheat bread instead of white).

Looking at all this just leaves me like : :smile: to :indifferent: to :noway: to :grumble:

So has anyone else experienced something like this? It just seems odd. I don't want to end up harming my body by losing so fast. This is really my first attempt at something like this. I was always thin growing up and when I got to high school I was in the gym 3-4 times a week. I've only been overweight for about 3-4 years. Should I just ride it out and hope it slows down as I get closer to my goal?

Replies

• makenumpretty
    Options
    Im the same. when I calculated everything, it said I was losing about 3.9 pounds a week, but I set my MFP to lose 2 pounds a week. Im also high in my sodium aswell, like everyday. I need to figure out how to control that. BUT I just started some medication for my insulin resistance, I thought it was the medication that was making me lose more but I guess it might not be. :/
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you think you're losing weight too fast, eat more.

That's what I did. I had MFP set for half a pound a week, and was losing 1.5 pounds a week for the first 3 or 4 weeks I was here. I had to change my activity level to "Active," even though I don't fit the description, to slow things down. Why was I losing weight faster than predicted? Probably my metabolism is somewhat faster than the average person, and probably so is yours. People differ.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was between 2.25 - 2.4 lb/wk for the first 2 months but overall now I'm under 2 lb/wk as I re-adjusted my intake plus my TDEE has gone down with being lighter. I've adjusted so that current weight loss is 1 lb/wk target.

red line is 2 lb/wk trendline

tredline28april.png
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you think you're losing weight too fast, eat more.

That's what I did. I had MFP set for half a pound a week, and was losing 1.5 pounds a week for the first 3 or 4 weeks I was here. I had to change my activity level to "Active," even though I don't fit the description, to slow things down. Why was I losing weight faster than predicted? Probably my metabolism is somewhat faster than the average person, and probably so is yours. People differ.

I guess it could be metabolism. I guess it couldn't hurt to up my calorie intake and see what happens.
  • Puggles04
    Puggles04 Posts: 37
    Options
    You could probably up by 500 cals a day. Are you eating back all of your exercise cals as well?
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You have still got quite a few pounds to lose, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your body will readjust and lose less. I am averaging 2.4 pounds a week (have a lot more to lose than you!) and it's starting to slow down now. If you are really concerned, up your calories but if it was me, I would just see how it goes.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You could probably up by 500 cals a day. Are you eating back all of your exercise cals as well?

The majority yes. I usually like to leave a little cushion room since I don't actually weigh my food. Although the past couple days, I've been letting fitbit make adjustments and it's subtracting calories (yes I enabled this option) because I'm not very active.

Yesterday's active time according to fitbit:
    Sedentary- 19hrs 51mins
    Lightly Active - 2hrs 18mins
    Fairly Active - 1hr 42 mins
    Very Active - 9mins
    You have still got quite a few pounds to lose, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

True. Although I am tempted to set MFP to maintain and see what happens. I'm also worried that losing at this rate, might cause me to gain back the weight.