Oh So Moody! Is 1200 Cals a Day the Culprit Or...

Options
So this week, I noticed that I feel a bit more agitated than normal, but mostly at home. It could definitely have something to do with the fact that I am on my healthy lifestyle journey alone (live-in boyfriend is thin, and likes to eat unhealthy 85% of the time).

Has anyone else dealt with feeling moody during their transition to health? I do cardio 3 days a week, and feel way better afterwards. I just feel a little less than stellar on the days that I don't go. Not punching walls angry or anything, just not the pep I would like to have lol. How did any of you overcome that under the weather feeling? Is anyone else going through this?

All feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It could be the 1200 calories, I know I get moody when I don't eat very much!
  • rizzy898
    rizzy898 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love my food and do get moody and unhappy at times, when I've nearly used up my 1200 calories and my days not over yet. I try to balance out my meals throughout the day. I eat little but often, so i try to have meals that are around 2-300cals each every 2-3 hours. I try to have water or tea or some fruit or low fat snacks. There are a lot of stuff u can eat that are under a hundred cal and it would fill u up for a good couple of hours :) message or add me if u ever need any tips or advice or even just support :) good luck xx
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    <---Eat more food like this.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    that is what everyone refers to as hangry when you're starving on 1200 calories...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I was pretty moody during my first week of cutting back calories and using a food diary. I didn't go down to 1200, but just cutting 500 cals from what I was eating (3000 - 4000 cals per day as a guess) really hit me. Things cleared up when my body and brain realized this is how it's going to be.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    <---Eat more food like this.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    AAMMMENNNNNN
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    RAISE YOUR CALORIES TO 1500 OR MORE THEN DROP EM A FEW DAYS ETC.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am always moody but that is more related to being sleep deprived cuz i was this way before i started my healthier me.

it happens sometimes lol we are women after all. :) just gotta make the happier times better and last longer.

plus being stressed or someone making me mad would also set me in a different mood even if i was happy.
    so it could just be stress. whether it is diet related or not i don't know because i am not near u daily or ever lol
    but you could just be stressed or aggitated because ur boyfriend is not going along with you in this journey.
    i know i get a little frustrated at my husband sometimes because of that...

anyways i hope you figure it out!!! good luck on ur journey. hope u feel better too!!! :)
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the math behind 1200... Unless your a petite person who doesn't exercise you need a little more to at least stop the PMSing... I think a lot of woman on here on 1200 blame PMSing for their moodiness but the reality is low carb diets and low calorie diets does make this happen to you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3889&d=1361780403&thumb=1
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I get incredibly grumpy when I'm hungry, most people can still achieve weight loss while eating more calories than 1200. Try eating more veggies that way you get more volume per calorie
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    EAT!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • PhoenixRox
    Options
    I still don't understand the math behind 1200... Unless your a petite person who doesn't exercise you need a little more to at least stop the PMSing... I think a lot of woman on here on 1200 blame PMSing for their moodiness but the reality is low carb diets and low calorie diets does make this happen to you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3889&d=1361780403&thumb=1

I agree with this 110%. I made the adjustment to 1500 and it made my weekly goal realistic and I did not feel restricted, cranky and desperate to exercise to get those calories back.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't enough calories. Go to www.fitnessfrog.com and calculate your TDEE to get how many calories you really should be eating to lose weight.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    See this link to work out what you really should be eating. 1200 is not enough for you or just about anyone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was an angry little punk when I tried doing 1200 calories, barely made it a month before I upped things.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It could definitely be the calories. I could also be a side effect of not eating your emotions (if you did that before), or just a general increase in energy that turns grumpy if it doesn't have an outlet. Both those things still happen to me and I am short/40s and eating 1550+exercise. Are you eating enough fat? Sometimes that is the first thing people try to chop when shooting for 1200, and that is bad for the mood as well.