Back on MFP, ready to shape up

Options
It's been about 2 years since I've used MFP and I'm ready to get back in shape!
I stopped running and exercising about 6 months ago and hadn't been able to find the time or energy to start up again (mostly due to work). A month ago, I had a 5 day stay in the hospital which set me back further but also prompted me to quit smoking after 23 years of being a smoker. I haven't smoked in a month and I started exercising again this week - my goal is to lose about 15 pounds, but mostly, I want to tone up and get back in shape. Short term, I'd like to lose 5 pounds before I go on a trip in 2 weeks (though I've gained 2 pounds since I started exercising this week).
I would love some motivation and would be happy to provide it, so please feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• pogiest
    pogiest Posts: 8
    Options
    I wish the best of luck to you in both the weight loss and the quit smoking thing.

I know how hard it can be to get back on the exercise wagon. I fell off it many years ago when I was in the Navy due to school commitments (9 months of schooling that counted for about 1.5 years worth of credits).

Prior to that, I would bike (I hated running) and go to the gym for weights. While I was in school, I just didn’t have the time to work out like I used to. Most days, I wouldn’t go to bed until near mid-night because I was up studying and doing homework. The weekends were about the only time I had to exercise, and even at that, I was normally too wiped out from the week to bother.

It was very hard for me to get back into the exercise routine, even though I was still in the Navy. I think it was more because it was something I had to do rather than something I wanted to do.

It’s funny, but I think I’m in better overall shape now that I’m retired than when I was active duty. And again, I think it’s simply because I don’t have to be in shape anymore, it’s my choice.
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    First of all congratulations quitting smoking. Also getting back on track with staying healthy. Wish you the best of luck.
  • heenyhome
    heenyhome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I was also in the Navy (and hate running) and find it's easier now to stay in shape. :smile:
    I wish the best of luck to you in both the weight loss and the quit smoking thing.

I know how hard it can be to get back on the exercise wagon. I fell off it many years ago when I was in the Navy due to school commitments (9 months of schooling that counted for about 1.5 years worth of credits).

Prior to that, I would bike (I hated running) and go to the gym for weights. While I was in school, I just didn’t have the time to work out like I used to. Most days, I wouldn’t go to bed until near mid-night because I was up studying and doing homework. The weekends were about the only time I had to exercise, and even at that, I was normally too wiped out from the week to bother.

It was very hard for me to get back into the exercise routine, even though I was still in the Navy. I think it was more because it was something I had to do rather than something I wanted to do.

It’s funny, but I think I’m in better overall shape now that I’m retired than when I was active duty. And again, I think it’s simply because I don’t have to be in shape anymore, it’s my choice.