Maybe you don't need to lift.

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
Here's some data I've compiled from Redsoxie's experience with MFP and a Fitbit this year:

Caliper measurements:
Between 4/16 and 4/28, caliper-measured body fat went from 29.7% to 27.3%. Fat mass decreased 3.5 lbs and lean mass increased 2.5 lbs. Overall weight decreased 1 pound. Actual caliper measurement decreased 4mm in the tricep and 2mm each on the iliac crest and thigh.

Body fat scale:
Between 2/24 and 4/28, body fat % went from 32.8% to 28.6%. Fat mass decreased 8.2 lbs and lean mass increased 0.3 lbs. Overall weight decreased 7.9 pounds.

Here's the thing: this is without lifting. She climbs about 15 floors a day on average and uses the elliptical between 1 and 4 times a week. Plus she plays tennis for an hour or two a week. She'll be lifting with me 2 days a week in the summer when she's back in town, but she hasn't at all so far this year.

As for calories, she uses a Fitbit and runs a deficit of about 500 calories a day. As a percentage her deficit is about TDEE-25% according to past Fitbit data (eg, 10,421 calories eaten vs 13976 burned for a week).

I'm not trying to assert that you don't need to lift, especially as body fat decreases more. But perhaps, if you're not especially lean and remain active in other ways (walking, tennis, elliptical), it's not quite so critical to lift in order to maintain lean mass.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Here's some data I've compiled from Redsoxie's experience with MFP and a Fitbit this year:

Caliper measurements:
    Between 4/16 and 4/28, caliper-measured body fat went from 29.7% to 27.3%. Fat mass decreased 3.5 lbs and lean mass increased 2.5 lbs. Overall weight decreased 1 pound. Actual caliper measurement decreased 4mm in the tricep and 2mm each on the iliac crest and thigh.

Body fat scale:
    Between 2/24 and 4/28, body fat % went from 32.8% to 28.6%. Fat mass decreased 8.2 lbs and lean mass increased 0.3 lbs. Overall weight decreased 7.9 pounds.

Here's the thing: this is without lifting. She climbs about 15 floors a day on average and uses the elliptical between 1 and 4 times a week. Plus she plays tennis for an hour or two a week. She'll be lifting with me 2 days a week in the summer when she's back in town, but she hasn't at all so far this year.

As for calories, she uses a Fitbit and runs a deficit of about 500 calories a day. As a percentage her deficit is about TDEE-25% according to past Fitbit data (eg, 10,421 calories eaten vs 13976 burned for a week).

I'm not trying to assert that you don't need to lift, especially as body fat decreases more. But perhaps, if you're not especially lean and remain active in other ways (walking, tennis, elliptical), it's not quite so critical to lift in order to maintain lean mass.

Interesting. These are exactly the lines I was thinking along a while back. Good to see evidence (even if only anecdotal) supporting it. I maintain that it's likely only larger amounts of muscle mass that require heavy lifting to maintain during weight loss, and that more modestly built individuals can likely maintain through calisthenics, swimming, elliptical with resistance, etc...
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I guess when you say "lift" you mean specifically weightlifting and regimented resistance training, because it's obvious that she actually does technically "lift," just in other ways.

As long as you use your muscles on a regular basis, they won't disappear. And if you push them to their limits on a regular basis they will grow. Weightlifting happens to be a really concrete and simple way to do that, but it's not the only way.