Gain muscle AND lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    They don't (except on IF or gear). Most people bulk then cut. I've had pretty solid gains while cutting on IF but you have to be 100% spot on with your diet.

Are you talking about gaining strength or actually building muscle while cutting on IF. IF isn't magic and you still need a calorie surplus to build muscle mass. Strength though is definitely possible during a cut, but would likely be the same on IF or eating regularly throughout the day, it's just preference.
    I've gained .75" on my arms and 1.5" on my thighs while losing weight. I've also gotten considerably stronger, but definite mass gains were made.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I thought you bulk to grow muscle, and then you lift while cutting to try to minimize LBM loss during your cut.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Why does the body simply not burn the fat surplus to maintain or build the muscle? Why would you need to eat more?

I mean I've lost weight but am definitely also more muscular than previously. And I've never bulked.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

So in my opinion, you don't neccesarily need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle, and you don't neccesarily need to eat at a deficit to lose fat.

You need to work those muscles. Engage that metabolism. Fuel your body with the right sources.

This is the gray area that many people speak about, like there is a magic way to do both things, if you're in some ZONE of correct exercise and calorie consumption.

In my opinion, more research needs to be done about this, because its hard for most people to do both.

Yeah, like we mentioned, I probably have some genetics in my favor. It is still very hard for me, and a very slow process. I agree, more research needs to be done.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I'm currently over 22% Bodyfat I believe.
    sup bro. i think that at 22% bf u must focus on getting ur bf down to the mid teens. continue to lift heavy but focus on ur diet. good luck!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So I weigh 200lbs and I've been thinking about doing stronglifts to build muscle, does that mean I'll stay stuck at this weight? Should I lose the weight first then start doing weights?

Getting a bit confused with it all

x
    hi! i would focus on getting ur diet in check. never bulk until u have mastered the discipline of cutting weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    So I weigh 200lbs and I've been thinking about doing stronglifts to build muscle, does that mean I'll stay stuck at this weight? Should I lose the weight first then start doing weights?

Getting a bit confused with it all

x
    hi! i would focus on getting ur diet in check. never bulk until u have mastered the discipline of cutting weight.

Lift and eat at a deficit
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I thought you bulk to grow muscle, and then you lift while cutting to try to minimize LBM loss during your cut.
    Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've been doing both but the weight loss is slow because I eat a lot and my weight fluctuates.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Why does the body simply not burn the fat surplus to maintain or build the muscle? Why would you need to eat more?
    To build muscle is to add weight. You add weight from a surplus. Since fat doesn't build muscle (only protein does) you have to get an ample amount to build it. In a perfect world ALL of the protein would go to this, but unfortunately that's not the case.
    I mean I've lost weight but am definitely also more muscular than previously. And I've never bulked.
    All that means is that the muscle you've conditioned is now visible. You can also gain strength without bulking up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CheesyPoofs
    CheesyPoofs Posts: 31
    Options
    What resistance training program are you using to do this?

If varies, usually a fairly low volume strength cycle, like 5-8 sets of varying intensity levels.
    You're not training for strength (although that could be achieved with it), you're training for mass. So high volume (lots of sets between 16-24 sets) for each body part with reps between 6-12.
    Personally I do 4 sets per exercise with rep range 12, 10, 8, 6 increasing weight progressively each set. IE for chest I'll do incline bench, dumbell flat bench, dips and either flyes or crossovers. May even add a final set of pushups to really engorge my chest with blood.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

Why do high volume hypertrophy training if you're gonna be eating a calorie deficit and not able to gain the muscle?

I was told lower volume strength training is better for a cut, am I right?
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options
    Okay, well I've made pretty good gains in muscle over the past 4 months, but now at 22-24% BF, its definitely time to get that down to a point where I can see my abs or something.

I probably need to get my BF to 10% to see abs, so that means a lot of cutting.

Hence, a long cut and a lot of muscle lost, which leads me to being skinny and weak again.

So what preserves the muscle the most, HEAVY lifting at low volumes, or high volumes, or something else?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Okay, well I've made pretty good gains in muscle over the past 4 months, but now at 22-24% BF, its definitely time to get that down to a point where I can see my abs or something.

Hence, a long cut and a lot of muscle lost, which leads me to being skinny and weak again.

So what preserves the muscle the most, HEAVY lifting at low volumes, or high volumes, or something else?
    While cutting, the most important thing to do is to maintain weight on the bar. Let's say you normally squat 2plate 5x8. If you want to decrease anything, drop down ti 3x8. DON'T decrease weight.
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options

While cutting, the most important thing to do is to maintain weight on the bar. Let's say you normally squat 2plate 5x8. If you want to decrease anything, drop down ti 3x8. DON'T decrease weight.

Good advice, thank you.