people at the gym who arent getting results?

Options
what do you think of people at the gym who dont look like theyre getting any results?
do you feel sorry for them? do you try to rescue them to salvation?
there is this guy at my small gym who works out M-F before work and he hardly does anything. he will do a couple sets on a nautilus machine then do cardio for no more than 15 min and then he hits the showers and leaves in business attire. he has looked the same all year long (top heavy and flabby)
i feel like he is wasting his time. he could do so much more even in that small allotment of time. i know he could push himself more.
do you notice this at your gym too? is it frustrating or do you ignore it? i just think if youre able bodied then you can get the results. some people just dont know what can be attained in the gym and i want to scream it out loud for them!!!

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I ignore them.
  • gymgymdazzler
    Options
    some people will train and train and train but if they dont feed themselves right and sleep well there pissing in the wind.. alot of people are like this at my gym, the reality is that if your lazy then it reflects in your progress, im sure your aware of that, i think some people just go so they can tell there friends they 'work out'.. and chances are if you tryed to advise him you will get no thanks for it.. such is life
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It isn't your place to "save" them.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Maybe he doesn't want more.
    Maybe he's okay with how he looks and his fitness level.
    Have you ever spoken to him or know anything about him?

I don't want other people advising me on how to work out, especially if they don't know me.
    The exception would be my class instructors.

I don't think I have a right to say anything to anyone.
    I just need to focus on myself and my fitness.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I ignore them.

^this

I am not a super hero.

or am I?
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    I don't know why it would bother you? I could care less what people are doing around me. At least he's there and not on the couch!
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    so???? :huh: :huh: maybe they need some help
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like to mind my own business. I don't knit, scrapbook, or climb mountains, so this is my hobby, instead.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What? You have no idea what his goals are. Leave it alone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Careful. Noticing other people at the gym is a lightning rod on MFP.

Good luck.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's almost never a good idea to give unsolicited advice - maybe he exercises for other reasons - for his mood or mental health, etc.
    I know I'd feel terrible if someone came up to me at the gym and said what you are thinking.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my husband approx a year ago. It was all he was allowed to do. You see, he has heart issues & had been hospitalized like 8 times the year before. He's been given the all clear now & is doing a 14 mile bike trail next weekend.

Point is this: mind your own business! You don't know what his story is, and it's not for you to know.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It isn't your place to "save" them.

This.

Plus, there could be health issues going on. I've had a few minor injuries this year that's resulted in some really short, slow workouts. Might not look like I'm doing much, but if nothing else, I'm there moving at least a little just to keep in the habit. If anything, the point is that they're out there. Beyond that? Not your business.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    maybe the results they are aiming for is to stay looking the same
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    maybe the results they are aiming for is to stay looking the same

Or maybe the results they are aiming for have very little to do with just looks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The only time I pay attention to other gym-goers is if they are using the squat rack when I need it.

People rarely appreciate advice, even when they've asked for it. If they haven't asked for it, I definitely wouldn't make it my place.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have noticed it but if you think about it we never even notice progress on ourselves. Maybe some of them are making progress. If i can I might try and give pointers to people with no good form but that's it. I try to concentrate on me, that's why I'm there.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Some exercise, some train.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my husband approx a year ago. It was all he was allowed to do. You see, he has heart issues & had been hospitalized like 8 times the year before. He's been given the all clear now & is doing a 14 mile bike trail next weekend.

Point is this: mind your own business! You don't know what his story is, and it's not for you to know.

This

Other people's lives are none of your business. You do not know what is going on and they are not obligated to tell you

Count your blessings. Focus on your family and yourself. Good luck in your journey
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that song Eminem sings..where he says "I cant be your Superman"

hahahaha