I need help with Protein powder

Options
2»

Replies

• Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying the Jay Robb line of protein shakes. There are a range of flavors to choose from. They taste great, use all natural ingredients and no added sugars. They can be purchased through Vitacost or Amazon. Also, they have 25g protein per scoop :)
  • johnguitarman
    johnguitarman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition. Its some of the best Protein powder on the market and its great tasting with alot of flavors to choose from. If you need to supplement your daily protein intake this is a great way to do it.
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold in water is good.
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold in milk is incredible.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'll third the Optimum Nutrition... tastes great and is much lower in cholesterol and sugars than other brands. I've enjoyed the Strawberry and Mocha Cappuccino varieties. Can anyone vouch for the other flavors?

I like the Delicious Strawberry too! I also like Extreme Milk Chocolate. I've tried the Double Rich Chocolate, but don't like it as much as Extreme Milk Chocolate.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I usually hated the taste of this stuff until I found Syntrax Nectar. I get Fuzzy Navel at the Vitamin Shop and it looks like you can order it online too. It's a the best I have ever tasted. It has a nice orange/peach flavor. Nectar is an whey isolate so it mixes very easily. I use a huge water bottle so I use a whole scoop. I just put about a quarter of the water in a water bottle, add my mix, shake, fill up the water and shake again. I don't get any big clumps nor lots of residue.

I'm eating low carb and this one is low carb. The Caribbean Cooler is tasty but the primary flavor is coconut so I just can't drink it every day. It does taste great mixed with some the Fuzzy Navel though. Crystal Sky has a really fruity berry taste that I usually need to water down a little more. That's all I've tried so far.

According to packaging a single serving is 1/4 scoop, to be mixed in 2-4 ounces of water. It is 25 calories, 0 carb, 0 fat, 6 gms of protein. I suspect that they give a serving as 1/4 scoop to keep it to 0 carbs. That's ok for me though because it's tasty and helps my craving for sweets & fruit so if my whole scoop is 100 calories, 24g protein and actually almost 4 carbs I have no problem with that.
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition 100% whey. I like the double chocolate (I haven't tried other flavors). It's not chalky like other brands I have tried. When I bought it, I found the cheapest place to be vitaminshoppe.com.

this is the only powder i buy, lowest calories, highest protein content per scoop, takes awesome in 2% milk, but i use 2 scoops with 8-10oz ice water in a shaker.

53$ at vitammanshoppe or amazon
  • kingmikedabeast
    kingmikedabeast Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find the taste of any protein powder to be a little gross, but recently I looked into unflavored ones, they still taste a bit off, but you can mix them with more things to mask the taste......also, my trick is to mix the powder with as little liquid as possible for it to still mix pretty smoothly and down it like a shot, that's if your not doing a smoothie type situation or if your looking not to add calories to the powder. good luck
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for anything in particular... I mean so say protein powder, but there a bunch of choices there. Soy protein, whey protein, Casein protein, "meat" based or paleo proteins, and even some other vegetable proteins that I can think of off the top of my head. Are you looking to use it to supplement and help with muscle growth or are you using it as a meal replacement powder, because that makes a difference as to what proteins you want to look for as well. I can offer some suggestions based on my experiences if you can give me a little more detail on what you want out of your protein or what your dietary restrictions are.