Tips on increasing fiber? Discussion too, maybe?

Options
2»

Replies

• frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to raise my fiber. I was trying to extremely low carb, and I got my IBS-constipation out of control. I realized that on my lowest carb days, my fiber was really low. I am going to try to eat more avocados (probably off the list for you). Nuts and seeds, chia, flax, hemp, etc help, but are pretty nutrient dense, so I doubt you'd want to get all of your fiber needs from this group. I am interested in seeing what everyone else offers, but for now I think I need to get off of the very low carb diet to get my IBS under control. Which a lot of fiber is from fruit and veggies (carbs), so I feel your pain!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    metamucil if all else fails

more fresh veggies
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To know how to get fibre, you need to know where it comes from. Plant matter has fibre. Animal products do not. The fresher the plant, the more chance it is fibrous.
    Foods highest in fibre are raw plant foods. E.g. fresh fruit and vegetables. Have fruit on your cereal, as a snack or dessert. Have salad with lunch and vegetables with dinner.
    Moderate fibre foods are cooked grains (oats, cereals, bread), nuts, seeds, lentils. Tip, swap to brown bread, high fibre cereals (low sugar), swap baked potato for pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato, eggplant. Yummy! Put dried herbs and olive oil on top!
    Low fibre foods are white bread, pasta, etc. they are generally high GI.

Oranges, apples, bananas, watermelons, pineapple, grapes, blueberries, strawberries.
    Lettuce, carrots, celery, spinach, watercress, parsley, onions, sprouts
    Chickpeas, brown lentils, baked beans, refried beans.
    Getting any ideas? :)
    Hope this helps x

...did you even read the post?
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    To know how to get fibre, you need to know where it comes from. Plant matter has fibre. Animal products do not. The fresher the plant, the more chance it is fibrous.
    Foods highest in fibre are raw plant foods. E.g. fresh fruit and vegetables. Have fruit on your cereal, as a snack or dessert. Have salad with lunch and vegetables with dinner.
    Moderate fibre foods are cooked grains (oats, cereals, bread), nuts, seeds, lentils. Tip, swap to brown bread, high fibre cereals (low sugar), swap baked potato for pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato, eggplant. Yummy! Put dried herbs and olive oil on top!
    Low fibre foods are white bread, pasta, etc. they are generally high GI.

Oranges, apples, bananas, watermelons, pineapple, grapes, blueberries, strawberries.
    Lettuce, carrots, celery, spinach, watercress, parsley, onions, sprouts
    Chickpeas, brown lentils, baked beans, refried beans.
    Getting any ideas? :)
    Hope this helps x

...did you even read the post?

lol I was going to say the same thing!
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I get most of my fiber from green foods.

I eat a lot of celery
    I also enjoy Fiber One bars. They do the job.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    dried apricots are my favorite dried fruit. If you can have prunes those are great too. My kids call them giant raisins :D
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    They have low card high fiber tortillas

La Tortillia Factory Smart & Delicious - Large Tortillias. Low Carb, High Fiber, Whole Wheat

80 calories 18 carbs 12 fiber - and they are big!!

Ditto! I love these.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    can you eat sweet potatoes/squash?
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My favorite foods to get fiber from are:
    -Fiber one chocolate cereal (80 calories/0.75 cup = 9 grams of fiber!)
    -Raspberries (1 cup = 8 grams of fiber)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Buy fibre powder
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    My apologies if anyone else suggested the Vitafusion Fiber Gummies. I've been using those for about a year now. 2 gummies will give you 5g of fiber.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That is so sucky... Most of my biggest fiber sources are the foods you are allergic to.

Of the things that aren't on your list, I'd recommend lentils for sure--huge source of fiber. Are split peas a problem?

I also get a lot of fiber from 100% rye bread. The German brick variety that comes in a little plastic baggie is one type. If you have any Russian or Finnish communities nearby, they make much tastier rye bread. Finnish ruis is just amazing.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of packaged oatmeals that have 5-10 grams of fiber. Archer Farms was my favorite, but they don't make it anymore (at least they don't right now, they kind of start and stop with it). See if you can find one that fits with your dietary limitations? Also, I eat my sandwiches on brownberry or sara lee sandwich thins, which tend to have 5 grams of fiber per serving. Same for the 45 calorie multigrain Sara Lee bread.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    My fiber intake is about 30-40g a day. Mostly from avocados, nuts/seeds, ezekiel breads/tortillas, spinach, oats.
    One piece of advise... slowly increase your fiber day by day. Otherwise you will get very bloaty and maybe even gassy, lol.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

This! Especially the part about start slowly. Also Fiber One or a soluble like Metamucil are good suplements to your food diet. Lentil soup....extremely easy to make, tasty, loaded with protein and fiber and low calorie! How can you beat that? Got a recipe if interested.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Can you do whole grain pasta & breads? I'm also a fan of Fiber One Bars. I use them like candy bars.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Quinoa is a good source of fiber, as well as calcium, protein and iron
  • bootpeg
    bootpeg Posts: 5
    Options
    You can mix ground flax seed and/or chia seed into oatmeal. Actually, you can mix the ground seeds into pretty much anything. They're not only an excellent source of fiber, but also contain omega-3 and a bunch of other good stuff.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you have an OAS (oral allergy syndrome). My daughter has OAS to birch pollen but can still eat many vegetables if they are cooked (yes I know it decreases fiber). I also most OAS don't includes leafy green vegetables as reactive. Whole grains may be the best place to look for fiber sources and throwing on some leafy greens may also help.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above, but I didn't see a recommendation to mill your own wheat.

I buy white winter wheat kernels from Shelf Reliance. Thirty year shelf life unopened, 6 months opened.

I make whole wheat bread, Belgium waffles, bagels, and cinnamon rolls with it and they all freeze fine. I make up 3 month supplies to minimize kitchen time.

Saves me money, tasty, fun, and fiber has not been a problem since.