Do squats really work the butt?

Options
I want a more firm butt. Though my husband thinks it's fine. I just told him see?! Poke my butt! I wanna be able to bounce a penny off it, not have it like throwing a slice of balogna at a window!

So ya,.. I've been doing squats and lunges almost everyday for a month and am currently on day 4 of level 1 of the 30 day shred. I dont feel any muscles in my butt sore or anything, even mid squat I feel it working my thighs, not my my butt!

What else can I do to perk up my toosh?

Replies

• _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump! Totally wondering the same!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What else can I do to perk up my toosh?

You're on a holy mission. Allow me to aid you. Do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZLzVGbgRNc

Now tell me, think dat *kitten* is soft? Negs. It'll dent a quarter.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    I've been doing squats! And lunges, and a few wall sits in there. Not nearly close to lifting 250 lbs tho!

The ONLY thing that hurts is the side of my thighs.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    google bret contreras. Squats are not enough.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Go deeper. Squeeze your butt at the top of the squat. Do Deadlifts!
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options

So basically I'm SOL having bad knees....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Add some real weight to these squats and lunges and get back to me if you don't both feel it and start seeing results in your butt. Right now you're essentially doing bodyweight exercises and wondering why you aren't getting the results you want. If you want your body to change, you have to force it to adapt. And the way to do that is by giving it a challenging weight to handle.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Bump
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

So basically I'm SOL having bad knees....

Everyone will respond differently to the exercises, but I can't imagine the hip exercises being any harder on the knees than doing heavier weight squats.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats, Bulgarian split squats(ouch), deadlifts, and more deadlifts.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    I should have also thrown in the that I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. So I can only go so low, and I can only do so heavy, but I do them to the point it burns.

Basically wanna know what are other things I can do that aren't so hard on the knees.

Great replies so far!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I should have also thrown in the that I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. So I can only go so low, and I can only do so heavy, but I do them to the point it burns.

Basically wanna know what are other things I can do that aren't so hard on the knees.

Great replies so far!

Do heavy squats to parallel (deeper if your knees allow it, I have a dodgy knee, and it doesn't bend as far as the other one does). Also, do heavy deadlifts. I don't do lunges because of my knee... but as mentioned earlier, your knees might respond differently to mine.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    If for whatever reason you cannot do heavy/deep squats, then try stiff-legged or Romanian deadlifts. And please make sure to learn to do them with proper form.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just popping back in to point out that doing a ton of light weight reps "to the point that it burns" is probably not what I'd recommend for a person with knee issues.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Hmm then try dead lifts. There are also a bunch of floor exercises you can do. I'll try to find a page with demonstrations tomorrow.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I also have really bad knees. Doing bodyweight squats "until it burns" causes me a lot more pain than doing heavy squats. And building your leg muscles will help your knees.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Hmm then try dead lifts. There are also a bunch of floor exercises you can do. I'll try to find a page with demonstrations tomorrow.

Ty!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Give glute bridges a try. Look up "what makes you bootiful" on youtube.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    You could also do weighted pelvic thrusts :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good Mornings (if you have access to barbells), glute bridges, hip thrusts, hill sprints, deadlifts.

(normally squats would be #1, but those have been discussed)