How do I level out my weight loss?

Options
One week i'll lose 5 pounds and the next week i'll either lose nothing or gain a pound or 2. It's happened for the last month.

A little insight: I weigh 213, I have lost 25 pounds so far. I am 5'6, I should be under 150. I typically eat 1200 calories because that was what myfitnesspal set up for me, but lately I was thinking about upping it because I've read a few posts that say 1200 isn't good. I try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, but lately i've been doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred (20 minutes a day)

Will eating 1500 calories daily affect my weight loss at all? Even it out, slow it down, etc? Should I eat more than that?

I'm new to weight loss, so I apologize if I sound like an idiot.. but i'd rather learn different now than find out a year from now I screwed up.

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 current 194 (started 218)
    I did WW then switched to MFP..the 1200 worked great at first then not so much, I now consume between 1200 - 1500 daily (days I work out I consume closer to 1500 or over)..I am doing TDEE- % however I do not feel as hungry on non work out days and struggle to eat more..I think it is physiological though! I started losing EVERY week since I started doing it this way. No HUGE losses..but a loss is a loss. I lost 1.6 this week and 1.2 the week before.

So yes UP your calories. My cal goal is 1514 cals per day currently.

Edit to add: do not forget to measure yourself / take pics. On those gain / no loss weeks you maybe getting some muscle growth ;) Especially with the shred..my understanding is a lot of people see no results for the few weeks even get discouraged with gains and then BAM...all of a sudden they realize they are leaner ;)
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I heard that eating at 1200 calories or so you won't have any muscle gain. Is this incorrect? I don't care if I gain muscle, the more the merrier, I just don't want to lose any while I lose fat.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Depending on a person's workout method - they can gain muscle so long as they are consuming the correct macros. If you are eating clean for 1200 - then you can gain muscle.

You do need to fuel your body for muscle gain - if you eat too little you may eventually destroy any muscle gain. It may not happen the first few weeks (depending on how much you have to lose) but over time.

I have lost inches in one week without body fat % or the scale going down..this is definitely why i am sure to measure - it gives me the boost when the other two do not lol
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I took pictures and there is a small difference in the last two weeks. Could just be this shred thing. If you walk or run everyday for exercise would you gain muscle?