Skinny *****....the book

Options
lahlie
lahlie Posts: 149 Member
Has anyone read this book? What are you thoughts about it? It seems pretty extreme to me....

Replies

• sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I only picked them up (there's a whole series of them) once when I was in the bookstore. I honestly don't remember any specifics, but I remember thinking " ***** is right!" :laugh:
  • GreenieBean
    GreenieBean Posts: 64
    Options
    I really enjoyed that book!! I never got into following it though. I became a vegetarian for a while and it was great. I felt so good and lost some weight from it. I never went full on vegan though. Some of it really is extreme like not being able to have any refined sugar because it goes through animal bones or something...even though we shouldn't eat it anyway lol but it sounds crazy.
  • scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    Options
    Hated it!
  • mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    I felt like it was misleading. They even do like a disclaimer at the end like "don't be a beeotch and don't try to be skinny". It wasn't so much focused on weight loss as it was on the possible (granted, likely,) weight loss that would come as a result of eating an all organic vegan diet, which, let's face it, is nearly impossible.
    I did take some good things from the book. I completely stopped drinking pop and switched to stivia instead of chemical artificial sweeteners, but it was definitely extreme. I'm glad they brought more attention to the inhumane practices used in slaughterhouses but they shouldn't market it as a diet book.
  • stefanienoel
    stefanienoel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bought it, got home, read the first few pages, got back in the car and drove to the store to return it. I prefer the Cook Yourself Thin, and the HungryGirl books.
  • lahlie
    Options
    Ok. Well, I only got through Chapter 3 and I was totally not ok with what I was reading.....I was totally mislead and very dissappointed! I am glad I am not the only one. Vegan or vegetarianism is not for me. But I do respect those who live those lifestyles. I was taught "to each his own". I do buy my veggies fresh every year from a local farmer, and freeze them. I VERY RARELY buy store bought veggies. I also get a majority of my fruits fresh, but there are always the exceptions, and I don't feel the need for a BOOK to make me feel grossed out or guilty for that. Maybe it is the truth, but it sure was extremely biased in my opinion.....
  • disnylndprincess
    Options
    I read it and was completely shocked-it's actually the reason I became a vegetarian and wannabe vegan (life without ice cream??) :o). But I agree, really misleading... even though I am all for exposing inhumane treatment of animals. Be prepared to cry, that's all I can say.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i picked it up a while ago and haven't touched it since but i vaguely remember a lot of obscure ingredients because of the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

and i don't like the word skinny.
  • kristenMcP
    kristenMcP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought it, got home, read the first few pages, got back in the car and drove to the store to return it. I prefer the Cook Yourself Thin, and the HungryGirl books.

I did the exact same thing. It was completely misleading. Most of it was just a big to do about how you should become vegetarian/vegan because of how the animals are treated. Not that I agree with how meat is made but if you're looking for a "weight loss" book than this is not it.
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed it. I read it in July of 2009 and I have been a vegetarian ever since. It might be a bit extreme, and it probably shouldn't be marketed as a diet book, but I feel like you can really learn a lot from it still.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Like everyone, I thought it was misleading. Not terrible, but not at all what I expected. I don't like the word skinny, either, and its not a weight loss book. I haven't tried any of the recipes. Probably wouldn't recommend it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Vegan propaganda...yeah, pretty much.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agree with the vegan propaganda thought! I am so not against vegans or vegetarians at all, but it is entirely misleading. Kind of pissed me off actually because they don't even hint at what it's about. I read the entire thing, so I didn't return it.. but I was really disappointed.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Agree with the vegan propaganda thought! I am so not against vegans or vegetarians at all, but it is entirely misleading. Kind of pissed me off actually because they don't even hint at what it's about. I read the entire thing, so I didn't return it.. but I was really disappointed.

It makes entirely too many generalizations about animal consumption and the state of (all) livestock farming. I'm certainly no proponent of factory livestock farming but there's a dirty side to ALL agriculture. Be it the happy processed soy products the "Skinny B****" authors relentlessly promote or GMO crops. Unfortunately they don't go into much detail about non-animal agriculture and its potential negative effects but continually trash the consumption of animals with broad generalizations.

I am a proponent of organic crops, grass-fed meat, wild caught fish, etc etc and am trying to keep my diet low in any commercially farmed products (i.e. factory farm items). I don't find eating animals in itself to be cruel in any part - it's the way in which they are raised and slaughtered that makes a lot of difference to me. And yes, I have actually slaughtered cattle and deer before, and there is a profound respect gained in doing so. Slaughter in this sense is much more humane than the natural world - think of a gazelle ravaged and ripped apart by a lion and hey, there you go.

I look at it this way - eat what you want to eat; what suits you. But don't be entirely too swayed by propaganda with questionable citations.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I loved it. I had just started moving into a vegetarian lifestyle when I read it and after I made the switch, I re-read it. It is a little extreme at some points, but I found you have to take those pieces with a grain of salt. I found everything they said to be totally right on the ball. I feel so much better now. I'm not saying that everyone should read it and go veggie. My mother read it and she's not veggie. But she said it was very interesting to read. She's reading her labels more and now understands more of what those labels mean. IMO, everyone..vegan, vegetarian, meat eater.. everyone.. should know what those animals go through. It's disgusting and cruel, and there is NO need for it. (there that's my little rant for the day :) )
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    It piqued my interest enough to look up their website. I haven't really dug into it yet, I will in a bit when I have a little more free time. I did see a section on recipes. It had a few, but I didn't see any nutritional data listed.

Anyone buy the Recipe Book? Is nutritional info listed there?

I wanna be a SKINNY son-of a B*TCH!!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options

Thanks,. I checked out the Cook Yourself Thin and found several recipes I am going to try. Tonight I will try the Veggie Couscous and Tomato Salad, only I am going to subsititute Quinoa for Couscous.

I think I'll try one or two recipes each week. Much more user friendly than Skinny B*tch.
  • lahlie
    Options
    It piqued my interest enough to look up their website. I haven't really dug into it yet, I will in a bit when I have a little more free time. I did see a section on recipes. It had a few, but I didn't see any nutritional data listed.

They have a Skinny *kitten* companion....LOL!
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    My sister-in-law bought me the Skinny *kitten* book for x-mas not knowing what it was all about.

It's an easy read in the sense that i finished the entire book in one sitting during the down time at work (although some of the chapters were easier mentally to get through then others).

Extremely misleading. I basically called my sister-in-law and told her that the book's reason i am fat is because i am not a vegan. she apologized.

When i finished the book, i kinda laughed to myself. I didn't get fat because i ate meat and dairy and all of that. I got fat because i ate TOO MUCH meat and dairy, and didn't offset that with exercise.

All in all, i didn't care for this book one bit. If you are vegan...great. if you are not...then that's great too. I just felt the book went overboard on trying to pound certain key phrases and ideas into my head in hopes that i would just ultimately give up eating meat and dairy.

A friend of mine summed it up best for me with a spoof on those office inspiration posters. It was a picture of a cow going number #2. The caption underneath said, " My food craps on your food. " Still smiling over that...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

:laugh: