Any low-cal pumpkin recipes?

Options
xonophone
xonophone Posts: 474 Member
I have a can of pumpkin pie filling left over in my pantry from my pre-MFP days. I love pumpkin pie, pumkin bread, pumpkin whoopie pies....all things that are no longer on my menu. Does anyone have any good low-cal pumpkin dessert recipes?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You can use pumpkin cake mix for a low calorie substitute for oil, water and eggs. hungry-girl.com is where I've seen the swap for a few recipes, but in general you can really do it with any cake mix. Just dump in the can of pumpkin and mix. I've been meaning to try it...
  • lilkeens
    lilkeens Posts: 9
    Options
    You can mix pumpkin into anything!!

stir some into plain greek yogurt or non fat yogurt

stir some into a whole grain pancake mix

mix into oatmeal

mix into a protein shake

fry up some ground turkey with onion garlic and spices and then throw in the pumpkin and add in any veggies that sound good
  • saraketner
    saraketner Posts: 53
    Options
    Oooo.. that ground turkey idea sounds great..
    I never think about pumpkin in anything but sweet dishes!
    Can't wait to try it!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    I've made pumpkin spice muffins. As previously mentioned, just substitute the pumpkin for the oil and eggs in a cake mix. I've also used pumpkin in place of the oil etc. in brownie mix. They were very moist.

I love pumpkin. You can check allrecipes.com. They usually give the nutritionals for their items. Just do a search on "pumpkin" and you'll see lots that come up. Pumpkin soup, anyone?????

00trayan - (did I spell that right? You know who I mean). The pumpkin in cake mix is good. I've made chocolate/pumpkin muffins. They don't rise as much, but they are higher in fiber and they sure have a "choclatey" taste to them!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    Report Inappropriate Recipe

Devilish Chocolate Muffins
    The use of canned pumpkin really packs a Vitamin A punch in these muffins.

Snacks |

Ingredients
    1 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin
    1 box devil's food cake mix

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Mix pumpkin and cake mix until combined.
    Mixture will be thick.
    Spoon mixture into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners.
    Bake for 20 minutes.

Number of Servings: 18

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user STACISHU.

Number of Servings: 18
    Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 18
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 127.3
    Total Fat: 2.3 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 179.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 25.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
    Protein: 1.4 g

Source: SparkPeople
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Cookies
    1 small can of pumpkin
    1 spice cake mix (dry)
    11-12 oz chocolate chips (You could probably leave these out and just have pumpkin cookies to lower the fat and calorie count)

Mix together and bake.
    approx 84 calories 3 g fat with the chocolate chips
  • alexzandra
    alexzandra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fat free pumpkin mousse pie

1 1/4 cup fat free milk
    1 pack (4 serving) sf vanilla instant pudding
    1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 cup can pumpkin
    1 tub ff coolwhip
    1 rf graham cracker crust

mix milk, pudding,spice, add pumpkin, fold in half of coolwhip. spread in crust. Top w remaining cool whip. Put in fridge.

Yummy!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    PUMPKIN TORTELLINI SOUP!
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    This recipe has been requested several times over the year by my son's classmates (and teacher, lol) since they only allow "healthy" snacks for parties at school:

PUMPKIN FLUFF DIP

1 can (15oz) pure pumpkin (preferably, but can use the pie mix)
    1 container (16oz) fat free whipped topping (cool whip)
    2 - 4 svg (or 1 larger 6/8 svg box) packages of sugar free vanilla pudding mix (powder only, unprepared) if you can find it, you can also use the seasonal pumpkin pie flavor.
    1 TB pumpkin pie spice (to taste depending on if you are using the pie mix or pie flavor pudding, use less)
    1 (8oz) fat free cream cheese block, room temp.

Combine cream cheese with pumpkin until well blended, add the pudding mix and spice. Fold in whipped topping and allow to chill.

Serve with red and green apple slices, low fat cinnamon graham crackers, and gingersnaps for dipping.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This recipe has been requested several times over the year by my son's classmates (and teacher, lol) since they only allow "healthy" snacks for parties at school:

PUMPKIN FLUFF DIP

2 - 4 svg (or 1 larger 6/8 svg box) packages of sugar free vanilla pudding mix (powder only, unprepared) if you can find it, you can also use the seasonal pumpkin pie flavor.
    1 TB pumpkin pie spice (to taste depending on if you are using the pie mix or pie flavor pudding, use less)

Combine cream cheese with pumpkin until well blended, add the pudding mix and spice. Fold in whipped topping and allow to chill.

Serve with red and green apple slices, low fat cinnamon graham crackers, and gingersnaps for dipping.

um. WOW. that sounds dangerously good. i might eat the whole tub.
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    lol..that's why I only make it for events or parties...and I just save a little for the house.... but everyone goes crazy over it. I haven't figured out the stats, but it would be pretty easy to do.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options

PUMPKIN FLUFF DIP

YUM!
  • xonophone
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!!! Wow, I can't wait to try them!!

@lilkeens, I eat either plain yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast every day with either dried fruit or fresh berries....I never thought of putting pumpkin in it! I know what tomorrow's breakfast is going to be! :tongue:
  • xonophone
    Options
    PUMPKIN TORTELLINI SOUP!

Do you have a recipe for this?