Make sure you have a smart dog before doing this...

Options
Does anyone watch the show, The Dog Whisperer? Well he takes dogs out on runs with bikes and roller blades. So I've been taking my dog out when I ride my bike and he's done pretty great. Last night I bought some roller blades for more motivation and to add another way of working out. I thought, "hey maybe I'll take my dog out with these and when I need a short breath he can pull me like the dogs do on the show." Well now I know why that show says dont do any of the techniques without a professional...

First of all my dog was afraid of the roller blades. Once I got him going he wouldn't stop lol. I'd try to brake but we were going so fast that the sound of the brakes hitting the street only scared him more and made him go faster! Just picture a dog pulling a girl super fast who is trying to stop without killing herself. We were out of control and I had to use all of my strength to not fall. And to make it worse right when we were at the most out of control point there was a couple walking by with their super obedient dog. We must have looked like idiots :laugh: Great way to start the day...

But we finally stopped and I took him home and finished roller blading on my own. It's a great workout!

:heart: Kels

Replies

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Does anyone watch the show, The Dog Whisperer? Well he takes dogs out on runs with bikes and roller blades. So I've been taking my dog out when I ride my bike and he's done pretty great. Last night I bought some roller blades for more motivation and to add another way of working out. I thought, "hey maybe I'll take my dog out with these and when I need a short breath he can pull me like the dogs do on the show." Well now I know why that show says dont do any of the techniques without a professional...

First of all my dog was afraid of the roller blades. Once I got him going he wouldn't stop lol. I'd try to brake but we were going so fast that the sound of the brakes hitting the street only scared him more and made him go faster! Just picture a dog pulling a girl super fast who is trying to stop without killing herself. We were out of control and I had to use all of my strength to not fall. And to make it worse right when we were at the most out of control point there was a couple walking by with their super obedient dog. We must have looked like idiots :laugh: Great way to start the day...

But we finally stopped and I took him home and finished roller blading on my own. It's a great workout!

• loseronpurpose
    Options
    :laugh: that is just too funny! Have you ever read the book, Marley and Me? If not, I highly recommend it.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    *LOL* way too funny. i have a one year old collie/retriever mix. he seems smart, but he'd likely slam me into a tree after being distracted by a squirrel or something.

i have the book Marley and Me but haven't read it yet.
  • loseronpurpose
    Options
    i have the book Marley and Me but haven't read it yet.

Oh, PLEASE read it! you are missing out. It is definitely my fav. book. Of course, the dog, Marley, is JUST LIKE my dog, so the book really hit home for me.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    i shall move it to "next in line" :laugh: i'm currently reading Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich and have about six books to read from my latest BN splurge :blushing:
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OMG - that is so funny!!

I bought my dogs backpacks for Christmas. I plan on getting some sand bags to weigh them down so they get a better workout when we walk.

However, when I first put the pack on my squirrelly lab, Lucy, she just shut down. She sat on her butt, put her head down and would not move.

I had to make her wear it around the house for a few days to get used to it. I had to do the same thing with the leash the first time I tried to walk her. She easily freaks out.

My pit bull mix is very smart and not afraid of anything. She is a great dog. :smile:
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Thanks for my first laugh of the workday! I can totally visualize that!
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT ABOUT DOING THAT. I HAVE A 100LB. CHOCOLATE LAB. MAYBE I'LL START IN MY DRIVEWAY BEFORE I GO OUT ON THE TRAIL (AFTER HEARING YOUR STORY). ALSO, MARLEY AND ME IS A GOOD BOOK AND I LOVE DOG WHISPERER! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Glad I could give you all a laugh!! :laugh:

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    ho men .. thanks for the laugh !!

i used to rollerblade when i was a kid with my dog. we loved it !!!!!! but it was hard to stop ... trowing yourself unto the nearest patch of grass was your safest bet.

i LOVED marley and me, i have never laughed and cryed so much while reading a book.

cheers !
    may
  • Deeterz
    Deeterz Posts: 17
    Options
    I def knw what you went thru! My dog drug me (on the ground) thru and alley on my rollerblades! :mad:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Sorry it was such a mishap, but thanks for the laugh. I almost fell off my chair when I read your story. I have a bassett hound and he can barely make it around the block much less for a long bike ride!! I don't guess I will be investing in pair of rollerblades anytime soon.:laugh:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    LOL. Thank you for the laugh,
    Glad you are OK. That would have been a great Americas funniest home videos.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    just wanted to say i finally read Marley and Me. such a great read!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My dad bikes with his dog on a leash and he has come home with MANY scrapes and bruises from their falls. Usually swearing like a sailor. :laugh: