Coconut Macaroons (under 100 cals each)

Courtesy of www.themodelfoodie.com

I made but in lower quantities due to my ingredient restrictions and they came in at 87 cals per macaroon. Available to view in my diary under recipes.

Salty Dark Chocolate Coconut Macaroons:

(makes 36)

Ingredients

2 large egg whites

2 oz (1/4 cup) Agave or honey (adjust to taste)

30 grams (1/3 cup) ground almonds

1 pinch baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or coconut essence if available)

250 grams (3 cups) shredded coconut

A dash salt

100g dark chocolate

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC /gas mark 3/340ºF.

2. Beat the egg whites until frothy then add the baking soda and carry on beating until soft peaks are formed. Add the agave a teaspoon at a time and whisk until the mixture holds its shape and goes a bit shiny. Fold in the ground almonds, salt, vanilla and coconut. The mixture will be sticky, but should hold its shape when clumped together.

3. Press into little balls, roughly 4cm in diameter, and place on a lined baking sheet. Be careful not to make them too flat.

4. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until they're just beginning to turn golden in parts.

5. Now, they’re great like this on their own (see image below), but if you fancy taking them a step further, melt the dark chocolate until it runs smooth and shinny.

6. Submerge half a cooled macaroon in chocolate, nicely coated it, place on baking paper and allow to dry.

Repeat with each Macaroon.

7. Light grind salt over the drying macaroons, so each one gets a sprinkle and allow to set.

Replies

• tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Mmmm, these sound delicious! I love coconut so I can't wait to try them!
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Oh yummy I love coconut macaroons! Thank you!
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    bump
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    could you specify if this supposed to be sweetened coconut or not?
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    bump
  • could you specify if this supposed to be sweetened coconut or not?

I used raw coconut meat, so I had a coconut and then I grated the flesh. Although if you didn't want to do that then I am sure dessicated coconut could be used. I've not tried them that way so I'm not sure exactly how they would turn out.
  • joebob66
    joebob66 Posts: 38
    bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Just checked out the website. Fancy the banana bread with cocoa!