waking up wayyy too early

Options
Ever since i started eating less (1400-1500cals), and cleaner, ive been waking up like at 5:30/6am (a bit anxious) and i've been going to bed at 10 (because im pretty tired by that time).
Dont get me wrong i kind of like waking up early to get stuff done, have some alone time, but ... there's not much to do.
why do i wake up so early ? i dont even feel like it's a good rest because i wake up a bit tired (like im anxious and hyper, but im still tired) and i have big undereye circles.

im not restricting too much food; it's not like a starvation-primal-hunt-for-food kind of thing. i dont get it.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're getting 8 hours of sleep, the average adult only needs 6 to 8 hours. Try going to bed later if you don't want to be up so early.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Why don't you exercise then and get it over with for the day? I do most days. I'm often out walking as the sun comes up. It's a beautiful time of day and reminds me how lucky I am to be alive.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You're getting 8 hours of sleep, the average adult only needs 6 to 8 hours. Try going to bed later if you don't want to be up so early.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

You need more if you're working out.
  • RAURARIKES
    Options
    the reason im concerned is because i wake up not feeling well-rested and jittery. i know it averages to 8 hours, so why dont i wake up feeling refreshed?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You could go out for a run, that's what I would do.

That or have kids. Then you won't have to worry so much about not having anything to do at 5:30am.:drinker:
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    the reason im concerned is because i wake up not feeling well-rested and jittery. i know it averages to 8 hours, so why dont i wake up feeling refreshed?

Do you sleep through the night or do you wake up from time to time? Does the grogginess go away relatively quickly or does it ruin most of your morning? What time do you eat last the day before?
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Ask your doctor, there could be a medical reason.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Usually when I wake up nerved up like that, I assume something is going on that I mostly sleep through. Maybe there's someone leaving for work earlier nearby or a trash truck coming earlier than they used to or maybe you're waking from a bad dream?

These days the birds are starting to chirp really early and that's been waking me up. It's also been warmer out so I wake up just because I'm hot and sweaty and need to get up to open the window.

Are you sleeping well for those 8 hours? Are you having bad dreams or waking up frequently or getting up several times to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water? Could your cell phone be going off for some reason?

One thing you could try is to set your alarm for about 10 minutes before you've been waking up and see if you hear any new noises. And as others have suggested, maybe take advantage of that energy and get some exercise in. That would definitely take care of the anxiety!
  • RAURARIKES
    Options

Do you sleep through the night or do you wake up from time to time? Does the grogginess go away relatively quickly or does it ruin most of your morning? What time do you eat last the day before?

-I wake up 1x to use the restroom (and fall back asleep immediately).
    -I dont feel groggy, just jittery & anxy through out the morning
    -Last time i eat at night is around 6pm

thanks! :)
  • RAURARIKES
    Options
    Usually when I wake up nerved up like that, I assume something is going on that I mostly sleep through. Maybe there's someone leaving for work earlier nearby or a trash truck coming earlier than they used to or maybe you're waking from a bad dream?

These days the birds are starting to chirp really early and that's been waking me up. It's also been warmer out so I wake up just because I'm hot and sweaty and need to get up to open the window.

Are you sleeping well for those 8 hours? Are you having bad dreams or waking up frequently or getting up several times to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water? Could your cell phone be going off for some reason?

One thing you could try is to set your alarm for about 10 minutes before you've been waking up and see if you hear any new noises. And as others have suggested, maybe take advantage of that energy and get some exercise in. That would definitely take care of the anxiety!

that's a great idea!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

-I wake up 1x to use the restroom (and fall back asleep immediately).
    -I dont feel groggy, just jittery & anxy through out the morning
    -Last time i eat at night is around 6pm

thanks! :)

You may be breaking a cycle with the new wakeup time: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/sleep-101

Try going to bed a half hour earlier and see if that helps.

Same deal with waking up to go to the bathroom (though it's not as likely since this is relatively new).

Try saving a bit of food from your 6PM meal to eat right before you go to bed and see if that helps.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You could be experiencing mild hypoglycemia if you are waking up earlier than normal feeling anxious and gittery.

I would suggest trying to maintain stable blood sugar levels by eating lots of high quality protein and fiborous vegetables while keeping processed carbs in check, particularly in the evening. See how that goes for a few days. If it doesn't work seek alternative solutions (such as eating more generally)