My MFP carb limit seems high and protein low?

Options
The recommended daily carbs for me through MFP is 165 and protein is only 45. Does this sound correct? I'm actually aiming for more of a high protein/low carb "diet" and that carb count just seems excessive to me. Your thoughts?

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic so the macros automatically set by MFP are way too high carb for me. I set mine 40:30:30, which keeps me under 150 g carbs a day- still not low carb, but I am trying to make small adjustments down over time. Most of my carbs come from fruit and veg, I eat very little refined and processed carbs.
  • Kgholli
    Kgholli Posts: 27
    Options
    I found carbs way too high and not enough protein. You can customize your settings by going to goals - change goals- customize

I have mine set at 30% Carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat, but you can make whatever suits your needs

Hope this helps
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The MFP settings are ludicrous.

You should be getting 2-3 times that much protein. If you're losing weight, set your protein goal to 1 gram per pound of lbm to maintain muscle mass. Set your fat goal to 0.35 times your body weight in pounds. Carbs make up the rest.

Treat these numbers as a minimum. The complication is that MFP doesn't let you set gram targets, they make you set percentages. So if you gain calories from exercise, your protein goal will go up dramatically. You don't need to hit this higher goal.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Change your settings so they're realistic, just don't be a slave to the percentages and instead focus on grams. I'd ignore the sugars column too, or change it to show fiber or iron.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The problem with the default MFP settings is that they are based, from what I can see, on the RDA % for sedentary people eating a maintenance diet.

Given most people on here are probably dieting and exercising they won't hold true.

Most decent fat loss programmes in one way or another have a hierarchy:

1) Set a reasonable deficit
    2) Set protein high
    3) Set fat at a reasonable level
    4) Carbs the rest depending on tolerance.

Follow the advice given previously and you will be golden.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over on protein on training days and under on carbs. I know what my numbers should be so that is what I focus on.