Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need advice on upper body workouts please

I've never really had a ton of upper body strength, but I really want to achieve that as part of my ultimate goal. However, last year I injured my neck at work and was out for over half the year. Intense physical therapy 3 times a week, and 8 spinal injections later, the doctor said I was at maximum medical improvement and that I have 20% permanent damage to the nerves in my neck and have a bulge between C5 & C6. He gave me permanent restrictions of 25lbs for pushing, pulling, and lifting.

I really want to know how I am supposed to develop significant upper body strength slowly. Not looking for an overnight fix. I know it'll take time. But I won't let this injury permanently damage me. I want to start with lower weights and increase it slowly if I'm able to. I'm really looking for some advice from people who are familiar with arm exercises I can do that would allow me to increase at my own pace. I'll most likely need to work on my form a bit as well, and since it will be a low weight I'll increase my reps.... but will I be able to build muscle on such low weights?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    That's definitely a tough limit t ohave imposed on oneself, physically and psychologically. But in many cases, people are abel to overcme nerve injuries. Have you looked into the Alexander Technique at all?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Did you ask your physical therapist?
    He/she is very familiar with your injury, limitations and what is best/safe for you.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Dumbbell bench pressing is really good for people with injuries because dumbbells can weigh practically nothing, or go all the way up to over a hundred pounds. DB Bench Press also allows you to have good control over your movements, if something hurts you, you can change the angle of your hands, etc.

It is also an amazing upper-body strength builder. I recommend starting there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    He/she is very familiar with your injury, limitations and what is best/safe for you.

^^I would start there.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member

^^I would start there.

Always listen to Sara first.:flowerforyou: