What is the best oatmeal??

Options
Is there one kind of oatmeal that is better than the others? Instant vs. old fashioned vs. steel cut oats? And I like plain oatmeal because I add my own fruits and such. Just wondering if anyone had a particular type that they think is healthier than others. I'm just about out of the oatmeal I have now and want to try something new.
Oatmeal and cereal are usually my go-to breakfasts so I eat it pretty regularly.

Replies

• mebsuta
    mebsuta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Steel cut is my favorite, plus it is the least processed.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think steel cut would be the best bet if you're looking for the most "natural" way to eat them.

I don't care for the texture/consistency of them though.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do the old fashioned oats. I tried to cook the steel cut ones once and I don't know if I did it wrong but they were gross.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I hear steel-cut and museli are really great. However, unless it's got horrible processed sugars in it, any oatmeal is fine.

My workmate makes steel-cut in her mini rice cooker. That stuff takes FOREVER to cook (which is why I stopped eating it)
    But it is pretty tasty.
  • KariKaz
    KariKaz Posts: 8
    Options
    I just use the old fashioned oats too. I don't know what I did wrong but I tried the steel cut once and they were nasty! ;)
    This is my new faves: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I love John McCain Steel cut oats. I make a large pot once a week and put it in 2 serving containers and refridgarate got my then micorwave for 1.5-2 min. One canister makes me about 10 containers or 20 servings. takes about one hour to make on the stove. But definently thicker and no mush. http://www.mccanns.ie/images/tin_new.jpg
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i use soft, flaked porridge oats in my smoothies (raw) and very rough or pin head oats for my porridge (soaked in water night before with raisins) then cook in morning.:happy:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Is there one kind of oatmeal that is better than the others? Instant vs. old fashioned vs. steel cut oats? And I like plain oatmeal because I add my own fruits and such. Just wondering if anyone had a particular type that they think is healthier than others. I'm just about out of the oatmeal I have now and want to try something new.
    Oatmeal and cereal are usually my go-to breakfasts so I eat it pretty regularly.

I started eating oatmeal with the goal of reducing my LDL. I've avoided "instant oatmeal" because my impression was that they were not very nutritious so I started with Quaker Old Fashioned Oats and recently bought steel cut oats.

They look different and have a different mouthfeel but I've never seen a quantitative analysis of the two. There are many articles on the web that tell me that steel cut oats "are better for you" because they're "not processed" but, like so much fluff on the Web, that's a completely meaningless statement. And, in that the authors fail to show data to back up their statements, I suspect that, like so much fluff on the Web, it is hype.

It would be great if anyone can provide a link or cite!
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    if you're looking for the best oatmeal health-wise, try to choose steel-cut or old-fashioned. the ones that are prepackaged contain a lot of sugar and preservatives.

i always have quaker's old fashioned oatmeal on hand.

old fashioned and steel cut are about the same, if you wanna get specific. but i still prefer my old fashioned! :-)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I tried the steel cut a few times, but just took too long to cook and didn't taste that great. Just sticking with old fashioned oats. Have a bowl every single morning with no sweeteners at all, a little milk and fresh berries.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I LOVE me some steel cut oats.

I never could tolerate the pasty flavorless oatmeal, even if I added good stuff to it. But steel cut oats have kind of a nutty flavor and a lot of texture and body. They're a little higher in protein. And they taste great with all the same add-ins. Or with just plain old raisins, which is how I eat them.

Also, you don't have to cook them the super-slow way. It takes me, literally, three minutes of boiling on Sunday. Let it sit overnight. Then I stir it and divide it into grab-and-go containers. So every single workday I've got a nice warm tasty bowl for breakfast after I pop it in the microwave for about two minutes. If you google it, you'll find lots of other options to make it more convenient.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    BEST = THE LEAST PROCESSED

YO try some Barley folks! If your not liking the oats.

Lower glycemic index then oats for those of you watching that.

#Pu****
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    # Push It

I'm sorry I didn't mean a swear word!!! ha!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Coach's instant steel cut oats ..... toasted & cracked .... yum ....http://www.coachsoats.com/

These cook in 5 minutes just like rolled (old fashioned) oats ..... but the texture is so good.

"Texture" is in the eye of the beholder. Overdone steel cut oats can be confused with quick oats (which I find disgusting) ......so texture is what you make of it.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Avoid any "Instant Oat Meal". They are loaded with sugar.

I use Old Fashioned Oats during work days and Steel Cut Oats for the weekends. Steel cut is an acquired taste, I agree.

I mixed my Steel Cut Oats with Quinoa. I cooked each on separate pots and mixed them after cool down. Then, I put the mix portions in the fridge and eat one cup every morning after heating at the microwave. I include some skim milk, walnuts. After reheating I put ground cinnamon and fruit of the season as a topping.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned with almond milk and then a spoonful of almond butter stirred in when they're done...OMG pure ectasy.