Just Started South Beach Phase 1

Options
I have been having trouble getting back on the wagon with my diet. In fact I have been in a downward spiral. I have put on 17lbs in 2.5 months. A large part of that in the last month. My wife started South Beach a few weeks ago and I realized I needed something different. Something to change my focus and shake things up. So, yesterday I started phase 1 of South Beach and I have made a commitment to my wife and myself not to have a cheat day till our vacation in 2 months. Then I am going to probably imbibe in quite a bit of alcoholic beverages so will probably have to do phase 1 again after vacation. :-)

I have chosen to track my caloric intake as best I can with MFP. I know in the book the good Dr. says you do not need to track but I have had my best weight loss when I was tracking diligently. I am also a believer that in the end it is still about calories in versus calories out.

Day 1 observation: There is definitely something to the sugars and refined carbs being addicting. I have had a type of hangover since last night. A slight headache that doesn't seem to want to go away and tired. In reading this is a common side effect of removing the sugars and refined carbs from your diet cold turkey.

Any advice from any of you that have had success with South Beach? Especially to get through phase 1?

Replies

• QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I found that after about 4-5 days, the sugar cravings were almost gone; it was definitely much more manageable. I have been doing SB since August 20, 2012. I did not count calories the first 3 weeks, but when I found MFP, I started counting calories....I like the structure of that.
  • MOOtoMILF
    MOOtoMILF Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that I, too, am doing Phase 1. I did SBD a few years ago and lost a ton of weight. Would have stayed on it but I got pregnant with twins, had to breastfeed (needed carbs) so couldn't do that diet through that, but I am back on it now. I agree with the earlier poster, you will feel better in a few days. You can do this! Check out the Kalyn's Kitchen blog too (just google it) she has amazing recipes grouped by phase
  • MOOtoMILF
    MOOtoMILF Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Queen-did you see a big difference in loss between tracking calories and not tracking calories?
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Well, actually I only went without counting calories for the first three weeks. Then I found MFP, and couldn't resist the food journal. I like the structure of that, even though SB doesn't require it. I lost 9 lbs the first three weeks (I was hoping for more!). Recently my loss has slowed down, as I have gotten closer to my goal, but until the last couple months, I was losing steadily at 2.5 lbs per week (average).
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    I just started SB Phase 1 today! I had great success with SB about 4 years ago and enjoyed the healthy lifestyle change that I made at that point. I am excited to get back to it but remember how challenging phase one can be.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Is the South Beach Diet still going?!! I tried that many moons ago! :laugh:
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    haha, it worked for me a while ago so I figured go back to something tried and true!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My mom and I did SB with much success leading up to my wedding. I lost 30 pounds and she lost close to 60. I always found the first 4-5 days to be the worst and then it got easier. I would always do phase 1 for 3 weeks, because after that first week, it is not bad. Then slowly introduce my grains and fruit back. I would have bad days or weeks, and then start on phase 1 for the 3 weeks again. 4 years later and my mom has kept off 45 of her 60 pounds. You can do it, good luck!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 days into Phase 1 and have lost 4 lbs. Getting through 1 and 2 aren't too hard for me since I don't like a lot of foods anyway nor do I have to have something different every day. Eating is just something I do to keep from starving to death, more an interruption in my day than anything else. I have done the diet before and lost weight but screwed up by going back to old eating habits in Phase 3. That won't happen this time.
  • Jeanne1974
    Jeanne1974 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am going to try this next week.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    -reserves seat for shlit storm-
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    -reserves seat for shlit storm-