What's your Favorite No fat/ low fat salad dressing??

Options

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I always make my own, ingredients include the following, depending on my mood and the salad:
    vinegar (apple cider or balsamic)
    mustard (spicy or stone ground)
    olive oil
    honey (only sometimes, perfect with mustard)
    spices (get creative!)
    lemon juice (fresh)

I often skip the oil if I've got eggs (the yolk mixes in for a "creamy" dressing) or avocado in my salad already. I actually think salads are a great place to get "good fats" in, and don't go for low/no fat. per se, I just make sure the ratio of fat to acid is what I want it to be for my taste and daily goals. I've found that this is tastier and more satisfying for me.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The bolthouse yogurt dressing series is simply AMAZING! Its not zero fat grams but it ranges between 1-3 g of fat which is not bad at all. I really like the salsa ranch or ceasar parmaggiano. They both pack a ton of flavor and only cost 45 calories per TBSP as opposed to over 100 cals! Try it! Enjoy!:laugh:

agree...the Bolthouse yogurt ranch is delish! Lower calorie, lower fat, very tasty....total win!
  • HudaSaman
    HudaSaman Posts: 46
    Options
    salt and lemon
  • cindylou54166
    Options
    I had never tried the salads with strawberries, vinagarette dressing, etc. I tried it recently and am HOOKED! I just use a spring mix, a few pieces of walnuts, a few strips of grilled chicken, a couple of sliced strawberries and a very small amount of crumbled bleu cheese (or whatever you like). I tried several dressings and found that Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrett by Maple Grove Farms of Vermont is DELICIOUS (I found it at WalMart). 35 calories for 2 Tablespoons.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Paula Deens Garlic balsamic vinagerette
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste Low Fat Blue Cheese: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html

Super easy to make, delicious, and better for you than store bought. You would never guess it is low fat!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    I also use Good Seasonings packets (just add water, vinegar, and oil) to make my own sometimes.
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    I love mixing plain greek yogurt w/ salsa.....so yummy!

I've never heard of that before! Sounds great! Or sour cream with taco seasoning. :-)
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    Call me weird but I like the regular no-fat ranch and I water it down... that way every leaf gets some flavor, I never did like how thick dressing is.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    actually, i didnt read all the suggestions, but my FAVE salad dressing is SALSA!!

just regular salsa,
    mild medium, or blck bean and corn salsa, or if i want sweet the pineapple or peach salsa...
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So, you're telling me that fruits, nuts, and seeds are all vegetables? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes

:yawn:

Sorry to bore you, but you did ask. :ohwell:

You're not boring me in the slightest. I'm just trying to understand why you'd think a fruit, a seed, or a nut would be considered as a vegetable.

I don't think they are "considered" a vegetable. I would imagine many people don't "consider" them vegetables. But they are, nonetheless, vegetables by definition.

Fruit - The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.
    Nut - hard-shelled dry fruit or seed with a separable rind or shell and interior kernel.
    Seed - a plant structure (as a spore or small dry fruit).

Did that help you? :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, you're telling me that fruits, nuts, and seeds are all vegetables? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes

:yawn:

Sorry to bore you, but you did ask. :ohwell:

You're not boring me in the slightest. I'm just trying to understand why you'd think a fruit, a seed, or a nut would be considered as a vegetable.

I don't think they are "considered" a vegetable. I would imagine many people don't "consider" them vegetables. But they are, nonetheless, vegetables by definition.

Fruit - The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.
    Nut - hard-shelled dry fruit or seed with a separable rind or shell and interior kernel.
    Seed - a plant structure (as a spore or small dry fruit).

Did that help you? :flowerforyou:

Help me in what way? What is the source of these statements and how does it conflict with them being a vegetable?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The bolthouse yogurt dressing series is simply AMAZING! Its not zero fat grams but it ranges between 1-3 g of fat which is not bad at all. I really like the salsa ranch or ceasar parmaggiano. They both pack a ton of flavor and only cost 45 calories per TBSP as opposed to over 100 cals! Try it! Enjoy!:laugh:

Love Bolthouse when I want Ranch and it is all natural! No sugars added in, which is usually what happens with the low fat dressings...

I second stay away from the Walden Farms! All chemicals and GROSS anyway!

I like to make my own with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, minced garlic, and a teensy bit of olive oil. I blend it all up in my Magic Bullet, it is so delicious and low calorie and all natural!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I chop garlic and fresh herbs to a container of LF cottage cheese and add an acid like lemon or vinegar and top my salad with that. It has ninety calories, and I know it might seem like a lot but it also has 11 grams of protein so it doubles as a dressing and a protein. I think you could add salsa to it too, I was thinking some canned tomatoes basil garlic and balsamic for next time.
  • jenhed96
    jenhed96 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of bottled dressings, so I used to make my own balsamic vinaigrette (and use a ton of oil) but now I just buy a really good balsamic (like, not from the grocery store, but a place that specializes in oils and vinegars) and use that alone. I know olive oil is not the enemy here, but I feel much better not dressing my salad with so much oil.

I also roast lemons once a week or so (just cut a couple of lemons in half and leave flesh side up and roast with your veggies or chicken or whatever). I squeeze it on roasted potatoes, chicken, and salads. So good!

Fresh lemon and/or lime juice also works.

Skinnytaste has a good Caesar salad dressing recipe using Greek yogurt - I use that when I want something creamy.

If you grate raw beets into your mixed green salad, they almost make kind of a dressing by themselves...then when you add a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar it kind of mixes together really nicely and tastes fab. Top the salad with some goat cheese, whole wheat croutons (I just toast up some diced baguette sprayed with EVOO spray), and dried cranberries and its like salad heaven. I've been eating this salad every day for a long while now and I'm still not sick of it. Add chicken and it keeps me full for hours and hours!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much MFPals, some really awesome ideas!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The lowest calorie one I could find was either Kraft's No Fat Ceasar or Italian. Both are pretty good for store bought. I still perfer a rich blue cheese, but I cant have it every day. :angry:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i do straight balsamic vinegar. i have a specialty shop near where i live that has a bunch of different flavored oils and vinegars.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I thought I would never find a pre-maid low-cal salad dressing that I'd like, but every Newman's Own lite dressing I've tried I've liked. So far I've tried the caesar lite, honey mustard lite, and low fat sesame ginger. :-)
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess it depends on your definition of low fat, and where you're from if it's even available.. but that being said, I'm a big fan of Ken's Steakhouse brand "Lite Northern Italian with Basil & Romano" and "Greek with Feta Cheese, Black Olives, and Imported Olive Oil".

Lite Northern Italian with Basil & Romano
    Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
    Calories: 45
    Total Fat: 4.5g
    Sodium: 260mg
    Total Carb: 1g

Greek with Feta Cheese, Black Olives, and Imported Olive Oil
    Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
    Calories: 100
    Total Fat: 11g
    Sodium: 270mg
    Total Carb: 1g

Obviously the Lite Italian is healthier than the Greek, but man they're both soooo good. I wish I could find the Greek in Lite. I do try to make sure I take it easy on the dressing though. I used to slather my salad in dressing, now I try to keep it at a serving or two at most.