Increase cardio difficulty or time?

Options
UrbanLotus
UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi, newbie question here! I'm really out of shape, just started working out like a month ago after a break of several years. I'm wondering what would be more effective (for losing weight) as I get fitter - increasing the time or difficulty of cardio workouts? Specifically, I would increase resistance on elliptical or incline on treadmill - should I focus on making my workouts harder, or building endurance to workout longer? I started at like 15 min (it was really a struggle unfortunately) and am up to about 30 min,end up working out about 5 times a week.

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I wonder about that two. Some days I go for length, other days I go for intensity. Today I worked out intensely on the elliptical, alternating intervals of medium and hard intensity. Then I did half an hour of medium intensity and half an hour of low intensity. I figure it is all good. Whatever I do is moving me in the right direction (no pun intended).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It's better to work out harder and for a shorter period of time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    change it up all the time

difficulty / speed and length
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Yes. It's better to change it up then have your body get use to the same thing. It's more effective to have your body keep guessing what you'll do next.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I'd up the difficulty and do some interval training.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options

Yes. It's better to change it up then have your body get use to the same thing. It's more effective to have your body keep guessing what you'll do next.

^This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

This isn't true. You don't get better at squats if you do them one time then do lunges another day then leg press the next, etc. It's fine to do repetition of an exercise till you get better at it then change it or the intensity of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I vote for increasing the intensity and adding in HIIT or tabata drills.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If increasing time or difficulty increases your calorie deficit, then you'll lose more weight. However, there is a but.

Diet is ultimately what determines weight loss. However, exercise selection determines what proportion of that weight loss is fat tissue. Muscle tissue is metabolically "costly" so your body always wants to atrophy muscle if it can. It's a survival thing. Fat will help you survive a lean winter or famine, muscle won't. You need to provide a decent stimulus to your muscles whilst you are in deficit to persuade your body to hold onto it and lose predominantly fat instead.

If you do some HIIT with a focus on the whole body (ie something that includes burpees, squats, push-up varients, etc) then you'll retain your lbm and shred off the fat. SO my vote would be for harder, full-body type HIIT workouts 3 times a week and a sensible (TDEE -20%) deficit. You'll enjoy the body you end up with much more, I assure you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you do some HIIT with a focus on the whole body (ie something that includes burpees, squats, push-up varients, etc) then you'll retain your lbm and shred off the fat. SO my vote would be for harder, full-body type HIIT workouts 3 times a week and a sensible (TDEE -20%) deficit. You'll enjoy the body you end up with much more, I assure you.

this!