I need ideas on ways to cook side pork?

Options
joleenl
joleenl Posts: 739 Member
Please share your recipes. I have a few packs of side pork from the half a pig I bought. I have never had it or cooked it before. From what I read online.. it looks like uncured bacon, but doesn't taste very good unless cooked properly.

Replies

• joleenl
    Options
    Anyone?
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We just had 2 pigs sent to the.. well you know. I am wondering what cuts we will get as my husband took care of it all. I will let you know what I do with mine if we get some. I have never heard of side pork, so I googled it- it's uncured bacon and I saw where one person uses it for Boston baked beans. Sounds like it would be good to use as seasoning, but I am hoping for some good bacon personally!
  • joleenl
    Options
    Yes I would've preferred to have bacon too. The farm I bought it from is hormone and antibiotic free. It's a natural farmer. I could of got bacon (same with ham) at an addition cost because they would of sent it to a meat processor. Meat processors make me leery. Maybe I could buy cure, and smoke it myself? We have a small electric smoker. I'll research it online. With my pork, I got the typical pork roasts, ribs, chops, steaks, etc, just nothing processed so no bacon, ham, or sausage.
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should cure it or smoke it yourself.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Cook it like you would bacon. It tastes WONDERFUL!!! I adore side pork, but haven't had any in at least 10 years as it's too high in fat and sodium for me.