Does 2000 Cals a day sound ok.

Options
I have used my Fitbit the last ten days and the average TDEE was 2868 Cals, I had MFP set at Sedentary and ate my Exercise cals which varied from 300 - 800 cals. Which meant I was eating between 1800 - 2300 cals a day.

TDEE - 20% is 2294 cals which I feel is a bit high to eat every every day I burn 7-800 calories about 3-4 days a week and about 300 the other 3

2294 is a real struggle as I find myself eating extra snacks for the sake of it.

If I set up at a square 2000 cals about 500 for breakfast, about 500 for lunch about 800 for dinner and the rest for snacks.

The deficit of 6076 calories average per week should mean a loss of around one and a half pounds.

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have used my Fitbit the last ten days and the average TDEE was 2868 Cals, I had MFP set at Sedentary and ate my Exercise cals which varied from 300 - 800 cals. Which meant I was eating between 1800 - 2300 cals a day.

TDEE - 20% is 2294 cals which I feel is a bit high to eat every every day I burn 7-800 calories about 3-4 days a week and about 300 the other 3

2294 is a real struggle as I find myself eating extra snacks for the sake of it.

If I set up at a square 2000 cals about 500 for breakfast, about 500 for lunch about 800 for dinner and the rest for snacks.

The deficit of 6076 calories average per week should mean a loss of around one and a half pounds.
    So what is your equestion?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    So you're talking about doing TDEE-30% (which is 2008). It's not too crazy, and as you lose weight, your BMR will drop... I'd recommend keeping your net calorie intake at 2000 cals, so you'll gradually move to TDEE-20%.

Weigh your food, and don't under-estimate the calories of meals you can't weigh.

Main thing is to watch the weight loss, and if you're losing more than 2lb/week then you're casting away muscle unnecessarily.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think 2000 would be fine. TDEE - 20% is more important as you get closer to goal, not so much now!

Zara.
  • joannemgregory74
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation all.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That's my calorie goal, well close to it. Sometimes it's hard to get my head around that I can eat that much and still lose. I was dieting decades ago in the era of you can't eat more than 1200 calories a day and lose no matter how much you exercise or how big you already are. I seriously failed on all those low calorie diets. But, I can't eat 4000 a day anymore either since I am not lifting and running around at work all day long anymore either.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    2,000 calories does NOT sound OK to me. Sounds to low to me however I don't know the following things about you.

How much do you weigh?
    What is your body fat percentage?
    What kind of calories do you eat?
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do a search for slope. There is a formula there that based on your bf% will give safe amounts to drop below your TDEE vs using the standard TDEE-20% or less. Good luck!!
  • joannemgregory74
    Options
    @gordoncat

I weigh 214lb
    My BF% is 34.5

I eat No meat or Dairy, No Alcohol Caffeine, Soda's or Artificial Sweeteners. I eat no Processed food or Junk. I drink mainly Water or Herbal Tea.

I eat mostly vegan food with the exception of Eating Fish once a week and using quorn occasionally in recipes.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Your slope formula would give you 22% decrease, which really isn't much different than the 20% deficit you had already calculated. It will obviously be up to you but you have room to up your calories above the 2000 mark. If you feel it's too much, maybe raise it a little on your most active days or look at your weekly totals. Also recognize that all these numbers are estimates. I have 3 different BMR estimates that I average and use to calculate my TDEE. In the end you need to do what works for you, is sustainable long term and leaves you full and satisfied!!