Pilates?

curvykatie
curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
What does pilates actualy involve?

For some reason i also seem to think its like yoga?

Katie
xxx

Replies

• nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    To me its like yoga. I have the Mari Windsor Pilates kit. I only use the Butt and Thigh because I'm so lazy and its done on the floor. Who doesnt want to lengthen and tone while laying on your side. :laugh: But seriously I love this one. I use it every other day and my butt and thighs are getting very toned.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    It reminded me of yoga at first but it's more controlled movement while you contract your muscles and ALWAYS engage your abs. Some workouts are easy and some are super hard. I have a few DVDs. My favorite is the Winsor Pilates ring workout. It's a 20 minute workout and (much like nicolina823) I love it because it's all on the floor. I use that at the end of other workouts just to wind down. Pilates does an excellent job of toning muscles and making them appear longer. I love the way my arms look when I am on a pilates roll.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Pilates is supposed to focus specifically on strengthening your core, although some teachers/classes/videos branch out and do a full-body workout. I think that yoga requires a lot more upper-body strength, and some of the poses are leg-tastic, too (warrior), whereas pilates tries to integrate your abs into every move.

They're alike in that gyms tend to group them as "mind-body" classes (whatever that means!), and they both focus a lot on proper breathing technique.

Hope that helps!
  • ekrueger002
    ekrueger002 Posts: 15
    Pilates is killer for tone/strengthening/stretching. I prefer it over yoga for the core benefits.

I do about 70 min 3 times a week. You should see a huge difference in just a few weeks. I warn you though...it looks easy...but if you stay true to the form and breathing it will kick you butt :-)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    To not really add much to whats already been said....Pilates is great,it does lengthen and tone,and the improvement it can give to your core,is,well,beneficial in other areas too.
    Using a resistance band or light weights whilst doing a pilates workout is also a good way of mixing it up a bit,whilst gaining strength.
This discussion has been closed.