Throwing up at the end of a race?

Options
Hey Guys!

So I just started running in February and had NO issues with Nausea in training. But my first 5k I felt EXTREMELY nauseated after for hours to the point where I laid in the back of the car with a bag on my lap on the way home. After my 10k I felt fine for about 45 min then all at once I felt like my body was on fire and freezing then I threw up.

I keep hydrated and eat 2 hours before the race. Not sure whats going on here as in training I'm fine.

Any suggestions to avoid this?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the adrenalin of the race makes you push yourself harder than you expect or are used to. Throwing up sometimes happens.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd go with that. When we are in the zone we tend to discredit any abnormal stomach feeling - I do it on the cross trainer all the time, and when I come off I feel like I'm going to blow! It's adrenaline and maybe motion.

Are you eating following the race at all? I'm just wondering whether it's any acid or something built up during running.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That's what I call "Getting the job done with style."
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    @Missybct

I had half a multigrain raisin pita thingy they gave us at the end of the 5k and at the 10K I managed 3/4 of a whole wheat bagel.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options

hahaha! I'm just glad it happened on the way home and not in front of alot of people!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common after races. I think another posted said it best about the adrenalin rush.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I puked at mile 12 of the Chicago Marathon and finished. I have no idea why.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I thought it was traditional and customary?
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well we are all proud of you! Great job on the 10k!!!
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Usually just over-exertion from pushing so hard. All junior high and high school I did competitive swimming, and people wouldn't even be surprised to see someone blow chunks mid race and then keep swimming back through it lol.
  • Tech49
    Tech49 Posts: 10
    Options

That's awesome. I gotta remember this.
  • adriennefit1
    Options
    Same thing happened to me after my first 10K. Felt awful for hours after. But I was told it is normal and I know I pushed myself more then I ever had in a training session. I havent figured out how to avoid it just yet. Maybe its all apart of the process for some. Congrats on the run though!!
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Well we are all proud of you! Great job on the 10k!!!

Thanks! Wasn't easy, but I'm glad I didn't give up.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Same thing happened to me after my first 10K. Felt awful for hours after. But I was told it is normal and I know I pushed myself more then I ever had in a training session. I havent figured out how to avoid it just yet. Maybe its all apart of the process for some. Congrats on the run though!!

I don't feel so bad now :) Thank-you
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Puke before the finish you went out too fast, puke after the finish you went out too slow, puke right at the finish line = perfect pace ; )

Personally I've never had that reaction but have seen many do. All part of stressing your body to your limits which is what racing is all about.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    good example of electrolyte inballance ...
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    This thread is scaring me out of wanting to do races... I have serious emetophobia and have panic attacks if I'm around anyone who gets sick or if I see puke. I have goals of different races, but now I'm not sure if I could handle them if people are going to be throwing up. :frown:
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    May be too much fiber.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't puke at the end of a race. Sounds like you pushed yourself too hard.

I have never puked at the end of any race, even ones that I've done in insufferable heat.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    This thread is scaring me out of wanting to do races... I have serious emetophobia and have panic attacks if I'm around anyone who gets sick or if I see puke. I have goals of different races, but now I'm not sure if I could handle them if people are going to be throwing up. :frown:

I've done 5 or 6 5Ks and I've never seen anyone throw up. I don't know if I can say I have emetophobia, but I definitely have a very strong dislike of being around people puking and it makes me feel sick and faint when I see it. Think of it this way, if you see someone puking you can run away!! :)