best option for a curry???

Options
Hi guys just a quick question im going out for a meal in a few weeks for a curry just wanting to know what would be the healthiest curry to order in a restaurant. Im looking for lowest fat and salt etc. Can be any sort of asian curry made with veg fish or meat and any spice but unsure what type is actually the healthiest as don't want to get one full of oil etc

Replies

• lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is best, but I know anything coconut based with be HIGH in fat, saturated fat, and calories
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Righ check avoid coconut and creamy curries. Any other people like to help me
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just eat less the rest of the day and enjoy what the restaurant has to offer.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i dont eat it but calculated the calorie content of a meal my son and partner had from labels on things at home.... one naan, korma and pillau rice amounted to 1050 cals each and they finished it off and had cake and custard.

I cant see there being a low cal version !!!!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    High calorie choices:
    Naan, rice, cocunut based sauces, ghee used in cooking.

Low calorie choices:
    Chicken/lamb tikka, daal, tomato/onion based sauces, vegetarian dishes often lower.

Personally my option would to to exercise like a maniac during the day and earn some more calories!!
    :drinker:
  • hammomh
    hammomh Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Tomato based are the best option, no creamy ones. Could still be oily though, depends on the restaurant.

Best option is to go for a dry curry, just spiced meat or fish, no sauce (cannot for the life of me remember the name)

Then go for salad/vegetable sides
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A lot of people recommend traditional tandoori (dry, without a masala sauce) or anything with a non-cream based sauce. The problem with that is that if you prefer mild curries, it can be hard to find something low fat.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    You will likely find tandoori dishes or mixed grills but if you really want the curry then i'd go with tomato based sauces and forget anything with the word 'creamy'. Usually balti, jalfrezi are good options. You could have boiled rice instead and swap naan for poppadom and some spiced onions as a starter?
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Go for Tandoori and Kebab dishes...If you want curry go for red sauce without butter,Chicken or Fish Tikka! Enjoy!!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    High calorie choices:

Low calorie choices:
    Chicken/lamb tikka, daal, tomato/onion based sauces, vegetarian dishes often lower.

Personally my option would to to exercise like a maniac during the day and earn some more calories!!

Vegetarian dishes being lower is a myth,
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I can't skimp on my curry so I make room for it my choice is chicken pathia with pilau rice and a naan washed down with a couple of cobra beers
  • selina884
    Options
    Best curry made by an asian. Period.

Anyhow, the only unhealthiest part of a curry is the oil (ghee, oil, butter - whichever you usually choose), reduce that and your curry is healthy.

and I guess cream too, I forgot english catered curries tend to contain alot of dishes with cream.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like a saag, so long as it isn't made with cream. Spinach has plenty health benefits, which can't hurt! I imagine dal and lentil based ones are also pretty filling for the calories.

Indian dishes tend to work well as veggie options, I think because the country has a large vegetarian population, so if you wanted to be really saintly you could go for one of those. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hi guys just a quick question im going out for a meal in a few weeks for a curry just wanting to know what would be the healthiest curry to order in a restaurant. Im looking for lowest fat and salt etc. Can be any sort of asian curry made with veg fish or meat and any spice but unsure what type is actually the healthiest as don't want to get one full of oil etc

Is it an Indian restaurant or Pakistani? See if they got "Korma". Ask for a couple of paper towels and slide the palte a bit so the excess oil gets there and use the paper towel to collect it. Korma is delicious stuff, you will like it.

You can also go for "Haleem". It is very delicious but once again, I prefer the Delhi style or Karachi style, which isn't often found in US based Indian restaurants.

Try to avoid the cream based curries. Ask the waiter if its made from cream. Look for mutton or chicken kadhai (I prefer mutton/beef/lamb over chicken personally). If its without cream, you will love it.

The BEST one I can suggest would be Achar Gosht. DO the paper towel oil collection thing and eat it up. You will DEFINITLEY love achar gosht. Its good recipe both indian and pakistani way and its not made with cream so for your, its the best option. And it is DELICIOUS!
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Shashlik is good if they have it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If it was a one off occasion, I'd just order what I wanted and not worry about the calories

if I'd already had a meal like that that week or there was some other reason why I would need to worry about calories, then I'd go for the following:

chicken tikka or chicken tandoori without the sauces, plus salad.

no need to have rice or naan bread, or if you do keep the portions down because they're high in both carbs and fat

personally, i'd order double the amount of tikka/tandoori and lots of salad then not have the rice or naan
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    High calorie choices:

Low calorie choices:

Unless you're replacing the meat with fried vegetables or carbs, I don't see how? Apart from the oil in sauce, which you can't change, the protein is likely to be the most calorie dense thing on the plate.
  • 999peanut
    999peanut Posts: 14
    Options
    definitely not a tikka masala.. lots of cream in those.. tandouri dishes are better without the sauces, jalfrezi is a tomato based without cream and usually a fair option , avoid the extras, all fried, and plain rice..

all restaurants cook differently though , so some may use a lot of oil when cooking..
  • selina884
    Options
    High calorie choices:

Low calorie choices:

Unless you're replacing the meat with fried vegetables or carbs, I don't see how? Apart from the oil in sauce, which you can't change, the protein is likely to be the most calorie dense thing on the plate.

In restaurants, the calories rack up to similiar values.
    and ps - how much protein are you expecting in your curry to rack up the calories to extortionate amounts? lol
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Just have a fast day from 7pm the night before, and enjoy your curry, seriously you don't need permission :wink: