Fish Questions

Options
I've never been much of a fish eating type. I like shell fish but that's about it. I have been trying to incorporate more fish into my diet since it's so high in protein and low in calories (the non-oily kinds anyways). I've tried different ways of preparing it, in a baking pan, wrapped in a foil pouch, on the stove...with different spices and flavorings. And have yet to find a go-to fish recipe that I like. I mostly eat cod as it's cheap and always in stock. For you other non-fish lovers...what's your favorite recipe?

I have also always wanted to try sardines but the tiny canned fish thing scares me. I was thinking a good dose of oily fish & protein (such as sardines) in the morning would be great to have with breakfast or as a midmorning snack. What do you look for when you buy them (brand, packed in?)? What can I expect when I open the can? Do they have heads and stuff? I know these sound like stupid questions but I came from a family who never eats fish of any sort so this is all new to me.

TIA for helping this non-fish eater!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is a nice, mild whitefish. I have gotten frozen fillets in the past, not super expensive. I'd just sautee it in a pan with whatever seasoning sounded good, flip it once, and when it's flaky, it's done. Simple, and pretty tasty, and I'm not a fish person at all.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I'm not really a fish person, but I've learned to like a few. I get frozen salmon or tilapia then make them in the toaster/convection oven. I just put them on the tray still frozen, bake at 400ish for 20-30 minutes, and sprinkle some lemon and herb seasoning or cajun seasoning on it.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was not much of a fish eater growing up either. In my home it was a big pasta, red meats and chicken but not tons of fish and surely not any kind of fancy fish.

It took awhile to aquire the taste and now I love it. Here are some things I make constantly and love.

tuna fish - starkist select low sodium chunk light tuna (mix with celery and walden farms mayo)
    shrimp - i drizzle a little olive oil, put mrs. dash lemon flavored seasonings and bake in over or cook in skillet on a stove (shrimp is so good for you) i eat hot and cold
    tilapia - high in protein and low in everything else. i buy the filets and put on aluminum foil covered tray in over and use olive oil and mrs dash seasoning and some lemon. bake til flakey
    salmon - i make the atlantic salmon fillet with some aunt annies ****ake ginger marinade...you can buy at trader joes or fairway market
    crab meat - if i am making a brown rice pasta dish for lunch i will heat up some natures promise low sodium organic pasta sauce and throw in a can of crab meat. tastes delicous

hope this gives you some ideas. fish is a great form of protein!
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I like fish and am happy to share my favorite go to fish dish. Put filets in a skillet, thawed or frozen doesn't matter. Let simmer, covered, till fish starts to become opaque. Put some salsa over it, cover and let cook a few more minutes. Put some shredded cheese on top, cover, turn off heat. Let sit till cheese melts - enjoy.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...all these ideas sound good and I def like anything that has cheese. Never thought of making it into a "mexican" style dish. Have tried a version of fish tacos that didn't work out too well :) Any other ideas out there?

Or advise on sardines???