MFPEEPS, your take on 6 meals a day?

Options
I was recently reading a forum that asked the question, "What is the funniest weight loss myth you have heard?" Some one answered, "6 meals."

I have been told, by my personal trainer that eating 6 meals a day, or meals 2 1/2 - 3 hours apart helps speed up your metabolism.

( typically for me these meals are 200-300 calories a piece, all clean )

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Calories in<calories out to lose weight.

You can eat that over 6 meals, or 1 meal, whatever suits your fancy.

I have found no compelling scientific evidence that indicates that eating 6 meals a day is any better for your metabolism than eating 1.

There's a lot of "bro science" out there that is sort of myth taken for truth, and in my personal opinion this is one of those things.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Calories in<calories out to lose weight.

You can eat that over 6 meals, or 1 meal, whatever suits your fancy.

I have found no compelling scientific evidence that indicates that eating 6 meals a day is any better for your metabolism than eating 1.

There's a lot of "bro science" out there that is sort of myth taken for truth, and in my personal opinion this is one of those things.

Yeppers!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FYI - personal trainers generally have little to no formal background in nutrition. That doesn't mean that they don't know anything, but...

As for your question...

Nutrient timing is largely overstated. Is it completely irrelevant? No. But it's not the miracle approach that many people/articles/infomercials would have you believe, especially in the face of bigger over-arching goals.

First, make sure your total cals are where they should be based on your goals (moderate deficit to lose, moderate surplus to gain).

Second, make sure your macros are reasonable. I won't get into what "reasonable" means here as that would probably derail your thread completely, but a reasonably balanced diet is a good place to start.

Third, make sure you are kicking *kitten* in your workouts.

Once you get those 3 things down, then you can worry about the miniscule stuff. But those 3 things will trump all else. If you're doing them, you'll have success. If you're not, you won't. Regardless of what else you're doing.

• Snikkee
    Options
    I have also heard from nutritionists who help morbidly obese people lose weight, that they need to eat every few hours to speed up their metabolism...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no appreciable difference between them. What does matter far, far more is to eat in a manner that allows for the best energy, satiety and adherence.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I've heard that lots of times. I think it makes sense if you tend to get hungry or maybe if you have a very active job and need a more regular influx of energy, but it doesn't fit my schedule or my needs. I don't get very hungry between meals, and I function fine with a small breakfast and lunch and a bigger dinner.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I think the whole 6 meals a day is really another way of saying 3 meals with snacks. There are some who indicate that eating at various times helps regulate the sugar levels, blah blah. Maybe some truth to that, but I don't think 6 meals is either realistic or necessary....unless those meals are awefully small. Calories in<Calories out. Just my opinion.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    My work outs always kick *kitten*, I eat really clean, and I have not had trouble losing weight... I have been hitting platues every other week or two weeks its seems as of late, I am just seeing what I can change to reach my goals. One of those things was changing the timing of my meals, but was not sure if that really made a difference at all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about your PT telling you that, is that you know to never listen to your PT about nutrition again.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I usually eat twice a day. It works for my schedule and I enjoy eating a couple big meals as opposed to really small ones every couple of hours. I personally don't think it makes a difference.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have also heard from nutritionists who help morbidly obese people lose weight, that they need to eat every few hours to speed up their metabolism...

I worked with a multi-disciplinary team that provided a weight loss program for morbidly obese patients.

Now, as a disclaimer, morbidly obese people are generally a different kettle of fish, in terms of weight loss. I was once a morbidly obese person myself, so I have been there.

Anyway, this team consisted of an endocrinologist, two other MDs, physiotherapist, nutritionist, and a trainer, and not once did I ever hear anyone say "you have to eat every 2-3 hours to boost your metabolism." What I did hear was "you are going to die of diabetes soon if you don't get your blood glucose under control, and I need you to start eating on a schedule to do that."

Different kettle of fish.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Every person has to find their way through their own journey.

I found that eating six smaller meals throughout the day help me achieving my daily target calories and my macros (protein, complex carbs and healthy fats)

My breakfast is usually the most important meal of the day. Dinner is small.

Good luck in your journey
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I usually eat twice a day. It works for my schedule and I enjoy eating a couple big meals as opposed to really small ones every couple of hours. I personally don't think it makes a difference.

That's what I do too...FOLLOWER!
  • Snikkee
    Options
    Well thank you all. :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it speeds your metabolism or not, but I like spacing it out rather than eating a lot at one sitting and feeling overstuffed later. Handful of granola here, a banana there...just be sure to log it!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think they usually mean to say, 6 smaller meals will make you less likely to binge eat at 11:30 at night and clear out the fridge. That I can get behind. I eat 3 meals and end up having a late night snack. It works for me, but I don't sweat it if doesn't work out that way.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me, it's easier to have like 4 small "meals" throughout the day and then one larger meal at dinner. I tend to get hungry really often, so doing this helps me because I would almost always have a snack between lunch and dinner regardless of how many calories I ate at lunch, so it's best just to keep my meals on the smaller side. I've heard a lot of theories about this, but I think it's best just to eat however you have to eat to stay under your calorie goal.
  • beckyb1031
    Options
    I, personally usually eat 5-6 times per day. Each "meal" might consist of anywhere from 150 to 600 calories. For me who has a tendency to binge, this helps prevent me from getting super hunger at any time and giving in to a binge. I also feel like it keeps my blood sugar more level throughout the day which keeps my energy level more regulated as opposed to having an energy slump with a large drop in blood sugar. I have also noticed that when I am sticking to this, I lose weight and when I'm not, I don't lose weight. But that's just what works for me and may not work for others.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I follow the 5-6 meals a day program, but it's definitely more like 3 meals, and 2 or 3 snacks. I used to do 3 a day, but felt like I as eating too much in general. 5-6 a day has been working for me.