What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options

If you don't know your own activity level, how are we supposed to know? Just pick an activity level and try it out. Read the topic, it says "if no change" reduce your calories by 10% next month... Your activity and TDEE are just estimates anyway....

I know what my activity level is. There is usually not an option on those calculators that matches my activity level, so I choose 'sedentary' and add my workouts. However, that will still under-estimate my TDEE because I don't only sit on my butt all day then hit the gym.

I am netting under my RMR so I don't see how reducing my calories is going to help.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    This is simple and it tells you how to set up your calories and it's short...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975707-fat-loss-tactics-guide

That refers me to yet another calculator with vague, unhelpful 'activity levels' that don't match my own activity level. I never know which one to pick. If I go for 'moderately active', which is exercising 4 days a week when I actually work out five days a week, my TDEE x .8 is 1660. I don't eat anywhere near that much.

Online TDEE calculators suck. I want a device that I can wear all day long that tells me how many calories I'm burning.

Maybe you could start putting money aside for a heart rate monitor?
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    This is simple and it tells you how to set up your calories and it's short...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975707-fat-loss-tactics-guide

That refers me to yet another calculator with vague, unhelpful 'activity levels' that don't match my own activity level. I never know which one to pick. If I go for 'moderately active', which is exercising 4 days a week when I actually work out five days a week, my TDEE x .8 is 1660. I don't eat anywhere near that much.

Online TDEE calculators suck. I want a device that I can wear all day long that tells me how many calories I'm burning.

Maybe you could start putting money aside for a heart rate monitor?

Don't need to set money aside for it, I can buy one today. I'd like some recommendations. I googled around on them over the weekend but couldn't find one that was consistently highly rated.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    So since you know your activity level, and you have your calories set up that fit you, then you should be losing weight just fine, so what's the problem?

You are netting under your "theoretical" RMR... and you're using your "THEORETICAL" TDEE... keep that in mind.

The problem is I'm gaining weight netting under my RMR, just like I said before.

My RMR is not theoretical...I had it properly tested at a clinic by one of those machines that you breathe into for a good 10 minutes.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are you insulin resistant? Maybe you should check into it.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    That exact scenario happened to me and is quite normal after losing significant weight and eating at a deficit for a long time. I would recommend doing what I am doing right now to bust through and begin losing again. I have 3 weeks to go of eating at maintenance level for 2 months. (My TDEE, which is 2250). No deficit for now. Then I will eat at a modest deficit again for while and then cycle back to maintenance. I've been eating maintenance level calories for 5-6 weeks and have not gained a thing. From what I've read, that's the most successful way to keep losing. Take a "dieting break" for 2-3 months and then eat at a deficit again. (Goal of 1/2 lb. per week). This has worked for many people and stayed tuned to see how it works for me. It sure is better than beating my head against the wall, eating at a deficit forever and nothing happening. Also, I'm working on building muscle to help my metabolism and fat burning ability while eating these extra calories. Good luck!

great information...THANK U! I have been having the same problem.......
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I know what my activity level is. There is usually not an option on those calculators that matches my activity level, so I choose 'sedentary' and add my workouts. However, that will still under-estimate my TDEE because I don't only sit on my butt all day then hit the gym.

I am netting under my RMR so I don't see how reducing my calories is going to help.

I had a really hard time with the activity level on those calculators too! I'm pretty sendentry other than my workouts so I went back to MFP basics - 1/2 lb week loss and eating back exercise calories. I've lost 10 lbs since September - it's slow but at least it's happening! I also got a fit bit - that tells me what I burn in a day. I try to keep a 200-300 calorie deficit from that - it seems to be working.

I started my journey over two years ago - I never would have dreamed that the hardest part of losing weight is finding that sweet spot between calories in and calories out!
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    Are you insulin resistant? Maybe you should check into it.

Last time I had bloodwork done everything came back normal. I don't know how IR would show up on a full metabolic panel, but there was nothing there that was abnormal.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    I had a really hard time with the activity level on those calculators too! I'm pretty sendentry other than my workouts so I went back to MFP basics - 1/2 lb week loss and eating back exercise calories. I've lost 10 lbs since September - it's slow but at least it's happening! I also got a fit bit - that tells me what I burn in a day. I try to keep a 200-300 calorie deficit from that - it seems to be working.

I started my journey over two years ago - I never would have dreamed that the hardest part of losing weight is finding that sweet spot between calories in and calories out!

What I'm doing right now is BMR set to sedentary and I'm only logging workouts. My BMR at sedentary on MFP is the same number as my RMR: 1340. I then add my exercise calories, using the MFP database figures. I usually burn 300-500 calories/per workout according to those figures. I have MFP set to lose .5 lbs a week and it calculates my 'goal' accordingly; I'm usually 300-400 calories under my 'goal' for the day.

I ordered a Fitbit Flex but it hasn't been released yet, so I don't have a shipping date for it.
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    What I'm doing right now is BMR set to sedentary and I'm only logging workouts. My BMR at sedentary on MFP is the same number as my RMR: 1340. I then add my exercise calories, using the MFP database figures. I usually burn 300-500 calories/per workout according to those figures. I have MFP set to lose .5 lbs a week and it calculates my 'goal' accordingly; I'm usually 300-400 calories under my 'goal' for the day.

I ordered a Fitbit Flex but it hasn't been released yet, so I don't have a shipping date for it.

Then you're really not eating back your exercise calories if you still have that deficit at the end of the day. Have you tried calorie cycling? 300 less one day - 300 more the next. I try to average mine out over the week as some days I'm not as good as I should be :smile:
  • bigdgeek
    Options

Then you're really not eating back your exercise calories if you still have that deficit at the end of the day. Have you tried calorie cycling? 300 less one day - 300 more the next. I try to average mine out over the week as some days I'm not as good as I should be :smile:

You're right, I'm not eating my exercise calories back. How could that be causing me to gain weight, though? I don't have an abnormally slow metabolism; the RD said it was right where it should be for a woman my age and size.
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    You're right, I'm not eating my exercise calories back. How could that be causing me to gain weight, though? I don't have an abnormally slow metabolism; the RD said it was right where it should be for a woman my age and size.

I have no idea - if you're not giving your body enough fuel to function, maybe it's hanging on to what's there? Wouldn't hurt to give it a try? Give it at least 4 weeks to see if there's a change. It's not something you'd be able to tell in a few days.

Believe me, I'm no expert! But having put back on 9 of the 14 lbs I had lost last summer, this is what's working for me now. 10 lbs since September. That's just over 1lb a month - very slow but at least it's happening :smile:
  • bigdgeek
    Options

Then how is it possible to gain weight if you're eating under your TDEE? Your miscalculating your caloric intake then.

And the vicious cycle continues. I'm not miscalculating it. I measure everything on a food scale. Unless my scale is lying to me, I don't see how I could possibly be miscalculating it.

Basically here's what happens...I tell people what the situation is and one of the following happens:

1.) I'm accused of lying about my food intake
    2.) I'm accused of misrepresenting my activity level (dunno how you can misrepresent sedentary)
    3.) I'm told that I possibly have a condition I've already been tested for and don't have (hypothyroidism)

So then the person I'm speaking to goes to one of the other options on the list...and so it cycles....then they finally say "Well you must be doing SOMETHING wrong..."

That's a very distinct possibility.

However, I work out. I don't sit there and read a book on the elliptical or play around on a recumbent bike. I get my heart rate up over 150. I sweat. I lift heavy weights. My trainer will tell you I'm not a slouch at the gym. I do this 5 days a week.

I measure/weigh and log everything that passes my lips. Everything.

I net under my RMR.

I'm not lying and it's incredibly frustrating to be told that I am.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew the "rules", but every day I question my nutrition knowledge. I just got back from Europe so I was eating full fat milk, cheese and cream as well as tons of fatty pastries and charcuterie. Since we were walking every day as well as riding bikes I actually LOST two lbs. The weight loss made me realize how sedetary my desk job is and how important it is for me to make time for the gym every day!

That and it should make you realize the human body runs better when it gets fat. Low fat in general is problematic.
  • erinsueburns
    Options

Then how is it possible to gain weight if you're eating under your TDEE? Your miscalculating your caloric intake then.

And the vicious cycle continues. I'm not miscalculating it. I measure everything on a food scale. Unless my scale is lying to me, I don't see how I could possibly be miscalculating it.

Basically here's what happens...I tell people what the situation is and one of the following happens:

1.) I'm accused of lying about my food intake
    2.) I'm accused of misrepresenting my activity level (dunno how you can misrepresent sedentary)
    3.) I'm told that I possibly have a condition I've already been tested for and don't have (hypothyroidism)

So then the person I'm speaking to goes to one of the other options on the list...and so it cycles....then they finally say "Well you must be doing SOMETHING wrong..."

That's a very distinct possibility.

However, I work out. I don't sit there and read a book on the elliptical or play around on a recumbent bike. I get my heart rate up over 150. I sweat. I lift heavy weights. My trainer will tell you I'm not a slouch at the gym. I do this 5 days a week.

I measure/weigh and log everything that passes my lips. Everything.

I net under my RMR.

I'm not lying and it's incredibly frustrating to be told that I am.

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. Increase your calories till you find the highest amount you can eat and not gain weight. Eat at that maintenance level for a while. Drop the exercise down to three days a week and give your body some rest. Don't net under RMR, that is likely to make the problem worse. Don't necessarily think of it as "starvation mode" think of it as underfeeding causing you to unconsciously decrease your non-exercise activity thermogenesis.

If I had to take a guess, at least one thing if not the synergy of your entire program is telling your body this is a crisis situation.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at what your TDEE is? Try eating 20% less your TDEE

That's just it, I have no idea what it is. Various calculators have it differing by 500 calories with the same inputs.
    I was over whelmed by the numbers..but really they are not usually too far apart..example if TDEE is 2300 and the other calculator say TDEE is 2150 then I set it at 2200...if one says BMR is 1450 and other says BMR is 1600 then I set it at 1500.,,then -20%..anything below those TDEE`s will be a deficit and you will lose weight.

I'm netting under my RMR and gaining.
    Eating under your RMR can cause you to gain weight. Your body burns RMR calories if you done nothing but sleep all day..so you need more calories. I learned this the hard way. I ate extremely low for years..it worked for awhile but now Im Insulin Resistant because of doing that. Now my body is against me all the time. I wish someone had of told me years ago to eat more!

I just have no idea what to do and I keep getting bounced around with different vague advice and referred to various websites and calculators which have only confused me more. I need someone to give it to me straight and pretend I don't know a THING about any of this.

Give us your height, your weight, gender, age and activity level.
  • bigdgeek
    Options

5'6"
    Female
    Desk job, mostly sedentary on weekdays but I hit the gym hard 5x a week.
    On weekends I'm running errands, cooking, doing laundry, volunteering, etc. Nothing horribly strenuous but I'm not on my butt all day either.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

5'6"
    Female
    On weekends I'm running errands, cooking, doing laundry, volunteering, etc. Nothing horribly strenuous but I'm not on my butt all day either.
    but why do you want to loose more??...that is aTOTALLY perfect weight for your height, gender and age
  • erinsueburns
    Options

5'6"
    Female
    but why do you want to loose more??...that is aTOTALLY perfect weight for your height, gender and age

Yeah, now I'm going to doubly say switch to maintenance for a while. Maybe assess what your goals actually are. Are you actually looking to lose more weight, or are you looking for a change in body composition? Have you actually had your body fat percentage calculated?
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options

5'6"
    Female

You are eating WAY too little. You should NEVER net under your BMR or RMR -- you are not fueling your body for living, let alone working out hard 5 days a week, and your body is probably freaking out a little.

Here is the range of calories you should consume every day, based on this website (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) and the information you gave above:

1583 (bare minimum) - 1762

If you ate that much, you would lose weight. End of story. Eat enough to give your body what it needs to actually "hit the gym hard", otherwise you're doing far more harm to your body than good. Stop netting under your RMR or BMR.

Side note: you also do not need to lose weight -- 126 for your height/weight/gender/age is fabulous.