Too Full for All My Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Look up what your TDEE is here is the website to calculate your TDEE - 20%. Also eating calorie dense foods like cheese, peanut butter, avacados might help get you to your calorie goal.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i think other people will jump in as well, but most people seem NOT to eat back the calories burned

If you are following the MFP plan, you should eat them. If you are unsure of your burns you may want to only eat a percentage of them to allow for margin of error, but if you go over the activity level you entered when you set up your account, then you should eat more than the suggested base.

OP, I glanced at your diary and most days didn't look bad. On the low days one avocado or spooneful of nut butter would likely be all the difference you need.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least half of them back. Make sure you're logging accurately, with a food scale. If you're coming up short add more calorie dense foods (full fat dairy, oil, nuts/nut butters, etc) or add an extra snack somewhere.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Look mang, when I first started here, I didn't eat nearly enough. I lost weight, and FAST. But, I did not replace my fat with muscles (because I wasn't eating enough and not getting the proper nutrients), so I was left with disgusting loose skin. Now that I'm eating more, and making sure I'm hitting my macros, I couldn't be happier.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    In the couple of days you logged I saw a lot of light or low-fat stuff. If you're happy with what you're eating and don't want to eat more, then opt for the full-fat versions of these things. Whole milk, whole eggs (not just whites), full fat yogurt, full fat ranch, etc... That should add more calories and you won't be eating more than you are now!

And the people who are saying to eat back your exercise calories are right. I'm set at 1200 cals and burn 250-400 per day in exercise. I have no trouble eating all of these calories back :) Feel free to add me if you need some clean-eating ideas to eat!
  • nikkim1010
    Options
    there are some days when if i have did a big run i struggle to get calories in and i was losing weight quite quick. i now have protein shakes before bed and healthier snacks like nuts etc. dont just look at calories you also need things with the good fat in them to break up the bad fat
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Also, it looks like belly fat is your biggest target area. According to most articles in Prevention magazines to try to work in one MUFA into every meal is a great idea. (Mono Unsaturated Fat)...I don't know what the "A" stands for. LOL

Those would be: olive oil, acocados, nuts, seeds, small square of dark chocolate, beans, etc. Most of those are calorie dense enough to help you with any deficit, but also meet the "healthy fats" goal in a great way that works for you, helps you feel full, and apparently, helps with belly fat issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i think other people will jump in as well, but most people seem NOT to eat back the calories burned

Actually, most who are ultimately successful and enjoy long term success DO eat back their exercise calories, or at least most of them. Ya know...considering that's how MFP works and all.

OP...more fat. Stop with the no fat/low fat bull ****. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Just substitute some of those items for full fat or more fat than the ones you're currently doing.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Eating back your calories depends on how you calculated what you need to eat. If you calculated TDEE and included your exercise when determining your activity level, you do not want to eat your exercise calories back. If you calculated TDEE and did not include your exercise, you do want to eat them back. Some great things to add to your diet to boost your calories:

Nuts
    Avocados
    Dark chocolate
    Full fat dairy products
    Whole grains or whole grain products
    Peanut butter
    Honey

^ This. Makes sure you read this carefully.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

This.

Except the exact opposite.

Eat em.

yup. eat 'em...unless youre following the TDEE/BMR method. Then don't. I do.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Yeah, you should eat back your exercise calories. Also make sure you're getting "correct" calorie information when you exercise, a lot of people over estimate. I am a big, big believer in heart rate monitors. Alls I know is I average ~500-600 a workout and if I didn't eat them back I would be keeling over by the end of the day. If you're still desperate for more calories, almond butter is the bee's knees.
  • jnlvscmi
    jnlvscmi Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate that...I'm going to try it out
  • jnlvscmi
    Options

Actually, most who are ultimately successful and enjoy long term success DO eat back their exercise calories, or at least most of them. Ya know...considering that's how MFP works and all.

OP...more fat. Stop with the no fat/low fat bull ****. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Just substitute some of those items for full fat or more fat than the ones you're currently doing.

LOL, thanks...yea I will try to eat more full fat foods, but do it in moderation...I just want to be successful
  • jnlvscmi
    Options
    So I am trying to make sure I eat the number of recomended calores that MFP is suggesting that I eat....Well for 1, I get full by trying to keep up w/ the calories and #2, if I excercise that day, and burn calories and I need to eat them back...I don't think my stomach can take all of that...I'm just mainly trying to tone up my stomach by eating right and excercising...What should I do???

5'6
    147lbs
    32 1/2 inch waist

If you can't even eat enough calories to lose weight properly, how did you get overweight in the first place?

The answer is that you don't need to eat foods you think of as "super healthy" and low calorie. Eat some avocado, ice cream, pizza, Pop-Tarts, butter, rice, pasta, etc.

Eat more of the stuff you used to eat.

1st of all I'm 147 lbs soaking wet, and I'm not overweight sweetie...I'm just trying to obtain a flat stomach....Thanks
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So I am trying to make sure I eat the number of recomended calores that MFP is suggesting that I eat....Well for 1, I get full by trying to keep up w/ the calories and #2, if I excercise that day, and burn calories and I need to eat them back...I don't think my stomach can take all of that...I'm just mainly trying to tone up my stomach by eating right and excercising...What should I do???

5'6
    147lbs
    32 1/2 inch waist

If you can't even eat enough calories to lose weight properly, how did you get overweight in the first place?

The answer is that you don't need to eat foods you think of as "super healthy" and low calorie. Eat some avocado, ice cream, pizza, Pop-Tarts, butter, rice, pasta, etc.

Eat more of the stuff you used to eat.

1st of all I'm 147 lbs soaking wet, and I'm not overweight sweetie...I'm just trying to obtain a flat stomach....Thanks

Well you certainly weigh more than you want to, and that can't happen if you're unable to eat enough calories to maintain your weight.

Eat whatever you want to hit your calorie goal.