Farmer's markets vs. Grocery Stores

Options
I know that farmer's markets are supposed to better price wise and also have a lot more natural choices as far as jams and jellies are concerned but I am concerned more with the cleanliness. The last one I went to when I went to pay and the guy was boxing/bagging some of my purchases he found cockroaches in a box where he intended to set some of my items. Most of their produce sits out like any regular grocery store with the occasional items pre-shrink wrapped on the shelves.

With that said I am sure there are no guarantees in grocery stores either. Is there a rating system like restaurants have where you can see if the cleanliness is up to par? I've yet to see any roaches at the grocery stores I go to but it makes me wonder.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    With that said I am sure there are no guarantees in grocery stores either. Is there a rating system like restaurants have where you can see if the cleanliness is up to par? I've yet to see any roaches at the grocery stores I go to but it makes me wonder.

Not even in moonbatty CA or MA.

Just remember, insects are part of agriculture, part of the commodity price you pay at the market is the cleaning away and management of such things.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Not even in moonbatty CA or MA.

Just remember, insects are part of agriculture, part of the commodity price you pay at the market is the cleaning away and management of such things.

This is true. Thanks :)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wish there was. Truthfully....the only advice I have is to visit a couple of places. Check out the stand of the person you're buying from. Bring your own bags and boxes.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, just wash your product and you'll be fine! Now if you're eating at one of those places that may be another story!
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    Ehhh, just wash your product and you'll be fine! Now if you're eating at one of those places that may be another story!

LOL - yes I washed the stuff after seeing that. I did eat at the BBQ stand though. It was a stand alone building though. Maybe city code would not let them be adjacent.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Cockroaches are creepy, but clearly they are not using pesticides... so that's a bonus (IMO).
    I agree with aisgreen's comments about bringing your own bags/boxes. Support Local!
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    I wish there was. Truthfully....the only advice I have is to visit a couple of places. Check out the stand of the person you're buying from. Bring your own bags and boxes.

Definitely will consider bringing my own boxes/bags too. The price can't be beat that's for sure.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I second that insects are a part of nature and it's, what I would consider a flaw in our mass food production system, that people have begun to see signs of insects as a con instead of a pro. We would rather have our apples sprayed with toxic insecticides (most of with can penetrate the skin of a fruit - so washing them doesn't remove the insecticide) than cutting out a small worm hole. There's a good chance you're getting much healthier food at a farmers market than at a bigger store.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Now if cockroach allergy is a concern, just make sure to wash the produce anyway, which is a good idea anyway from farmer's markets.

As long as the fruits aren't blighted, or there's mammal scat, I think you're good to go.

Sadly, the farmer's markets here in the town I live in are of the commodity variety. Everything is nicely "dirty enough" while being heaped in cute little baskets with checkered flourishes and price tags that read $8 per pound for potatoes.

:(

I miss the farmer's market I used in SF, dirty, loud, busy, and stupidly fresh produce for super low prices.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    For produce, ask the producers/ vendors how they grow it (pesticides, other chemicals?)- they're usually really happy to let you know. If they're not forthcoming about their growing practices, be suspicious that they're possibly not growing the food themselves. I'll also second bringing your own bags.

For prepared foods, many localities require that anyone selling prepared foods (bbq/ breads/ pies/ etc.) follow all local health codes for restaurants. You could ask the market manager whether their vendors need to comply with local health codes. (Some places do have exemptions for very small vendors, but not everywhere.)

Finally, yay for shopping local!
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    For produce, ask the producers/ vendors how they grow it (pesticides, other chemicals?)- they're usually really happy to let you know. If they're not forthcoming about their growing practices, be suspicious that they're possibly not growing the food themselves. I'll also second bringing your own bags.

For prepared foods, many localities require that anyone selling prepared foods (bbq/ breads/ pies/ etc.) follow all local health codes for restaurants. You could ask the market manager whether their vendors need to comply with local health codes. (Some places do have exemptions for very small vendors, but not everywhere.)

This establishment is nearly like a small grocery store with shopping carts, doors etc and they did have baked goods, jams and jellies. Overall I think highly of the place and it is highly recommended by most people I talk to.
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    I did spend $40 on produce that lasted me well over two weeks. Sweet potatoes, apples, peppers, squash. It's time to go back.
  • jade14b
    jade14b Posts: 22
    Options
    Meh. The roaches wouldn't bother me. I mean it is nature, the food we eat has had all sorts of stuff crawling on it...unless it is sprayed with pesticides which is more gross to me than the bugs. You seem mostly concerned about superficial cleanliness as opposed to the way the food was grown but i could have taken that wrong.

Now about the farmers market: all are not created equal. A fruit stand along the side of the road might advertise fresh produce but often times that stuff comes from Mexico/ Cjile just like the stuff at the supermarket (at least here in california). You are better off with a local city/co-op run farmers market. At these places the farmers or their representatives are standing right there with information about their farm, location, growing practices, etc. I like these types of farmers markets because I try to buy local , in season foods as much as possible. Also, you can tell te legitamacy of a farmer's market/farm stand by the produce they are selling. If it is April and you know that Watermelon is not in season yet in your area (it's too cold, dry, etc), chances are the farm is selling imported produce (again, probably from south America).
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

^^THIS. Though I'd like to know where in Minnesota these "farmers" growth their bananas.
  • iclaudia_g
    Options

^^THIS. Though I'd like to know where in Minnesota these "farmers" growth their bananas.

Can you even grow Bananas in the US? I thought these were tropical climate fruits? Let alone Minnesota.