Could this be right?

megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
The other day on my bike we went 15.5 miles on a gravel path. For 6 miles I went 14.8 MPH then averaged about 9.8 on the rest. My bike computer said I burned around 1250 calories. I have it set for my weight.

Yesterday we went for a ride. We had a strong head wind all the way back and only did 4 miles total. I averaged around 8 MPH. My computer said I burned 2133 calories. Both are way different then what MFP says I would burn and on my exercise chart I have been only counting about half.

Which is accurate? Thanks.

Replies

• quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    are you using a heart rate monitor with your bike computer? I cycle a lot. I recently wore my heart rate monitor and we rode 22 miles, about 6 of that uphill and averaged 16mph and my HRM said I burned about 750 calories (i'm 26, 5'4" and 120lbs).
  • megamom
    No HRM. I am quite a bit heavier then you and the trail is hills and flats. Would that make a difference? I haven't been eating back the majority of my exercise calories because I am just not sure of how accurate it is.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I have to say it sounds *impossible* for anyone fit enough to ride a bike to burn 2133 calories in 30 minutes (which I'm assuming is how long you rode since you said you did 4 miles at 8mph). :noway:

I typically bike around 18mph and wearing my HRM I burn somewhere near 400 calories in 30 minutes (9 miles) I weigh 198 pounds and I get my heart rate up to around 150 when I bike. If I run and keep my heart rate around 180-190 (which is a really high rate to sustain), I burn about 500 calories in 30 minutes according to my HRM.

Edit: Is it possible the bike's weight entry is based in kilograms and you have entered your weight in pounds? I'm 198 pounds, but 89.8kg. So, if I entered I was 198kg into a HRM or something that estimates calorie burn like your bike, the numbers would be WAY off because it would think I weighed 437pounds.
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    sorry this is a bit unrelated but to all you bikers. im starting to bike.. could you recommend a bike odometer.. or is a heart rate monitor sufficient enough.. if so could you recommend one of them? im new at this.. thanks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I would tend to agree with LittleSpy on this one, while I'm not sure how long you rode, you'd have to ride for a very long time to burn over 2000 calories.

In a 45 minute spin class (which you simulate some pretty rough hills) I average about 650 to 750 calories, granted I'm in pretty good spin shape, but even if you double my output, you're still only talking 1500 calories MAX.
  • megamom
    I am going to try to recalculate my bike computer. It is very accurate as far as distance and speed as I have checked it against 2 other bikes. It is a Trek Navigator so it is comfort bike and on the trails I use the fastest I have been able to get it up to is 16.9. The bike is a lot like me, built for comfort, not speed. Now my husband on his light road bike can get to much higher speeds without exerting as much effort. Would that make any difference? Not that the computer would know but I want to know how to set it up correctly. Thanks for the help.

We would have rode a lot further, even with the head wind but my husband snapped a cable. Hate that when that happens. Oh, and do hills make any difference?
This discussion has been closed.