I've discovered something amazing...

Options
Maybe I'm like 36 years late to this party, but I've just discovered that omelets may be the greatest food ever for those of us aiming for high protein and low carb.

I'd always thought omelets were kinda gross, because I'd only ever had ones with slimy eggs and gloppy cheese and sausage or ham thrown in....too heavy.

But I've been experimenting with thick/thin, all kinds of veggies and herbs, little add-ins like capers and feta cheese.

My breakfast had 19 grams of protein, at least one complete serving of veggies, was only 288 calories, and was absolutely yummy! Where have these been all my life? How did I not know this before!?

Replies

• beckslite
    beckslite Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like them with spring onions, red peppers, small amount of cheese. And curry powder. And some type of meat, small amount though :)
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Yeah but the cheese! Gotta have the cheese. In all seriousness, you are right. Eggs are great and omelets give you an option to really add in the veggies. And meat...LOTS of meat. And...and...and...
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I like it loaded with veggies, sometimes I put it into a tortilla wrap with cheese and salsa. Yummy and fast.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    my omelets always turn into scrumbled eggs whats the secret haha
  • calculustiger
    Options
    Vegetable omelets are incredible if you want a low-calorie super healthy food.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I'm clearly not the expert on this topic. But I've had good luck whipping two eggs with a splash of water in a bowl, then pouring the mixture into a pre-heated pan. Then letting it cook about half-way before I start adding the toppings. I add herbs and spices and broccoli and kale and capers and stuff before I add the feta and diced tomatoes and spinach, so by the time these last toppings go in the omelet is nearly done.

I've tried it twice now and it seems to work pretty well.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Eggs / Omelets are GREAT when made at home cause you know what goes in them. At a restaurant they add too much grease, sodium, etc. Totally turns me off, so I stick with 1 pancake & s/f syrup. You learn & move on, jus sayin.... :smile:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Go to you tube and put in "perfect omelet." Lots of videos come up with different ideas. I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27BigIWxMMw
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I love omelets! But unfortunately, anytime I try to make anything other than scrambled, they end up scrambled anyway. I've even had lessons by various family members who make awesome omelets but, alas, I fear I will never master the skill!

So, I make scrambled eggs and add in veggies/cheeses/meats and stuff! It's not quite the same but it works!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    For more volume at the same calories, substitute egg whites for one whole egg.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    mmmm... I think I'll have one for dinner! lol
  • motoole19
    motoole19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love egg white omelets. I add peppers, onions, tomato, spinach and low fat cheese. I'll occasionally add some turkey sausage or turkey bacon as well. I usually make mine as a scramble though, it's easier for me.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you like light omlettes with vegetables and no cheese, you might like stir fries even better! This morning I made one with broccoli, carrots, celery, leeks, and garlic. Four full servings of vegetables! I steam the veggies in the pan for just a few minutes, then scoot viggies to side of pan, add olive oil, scramble up an egg and/or add some cooked brown rice. Quickly cook egg and stir into veggies! You can leave out the rice to make it lower carb, or you can leave out the egg to make it Vegan (or, as I like to call it, Plant Based!). Some days I chop up some cabbage and scallions for it, some days I add some green beans or peas or whatever bits of vegetable I have about that day. If you are really being tight with calories, you can whik up the egg is just a tiny bit of olive oil rubbed on the pan, just enough to keep it from sticking.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    jimmie dean turkey sausage crumbles are awesome in omletts. It doesn't take much to get a punch of sausage flavor. I add lots of veges andfat free feta cheese too. And the sausage adds the only salt you will need so don't add any more!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Love omelets! I find it's a great way to use up leftover meats and veggies that I've got that aren't enough to do much else with too. I made a great one yesterday with leftover grilled red peppers, asparagus, onions and just a tough of extra sharp cheddar. YUM! I make a 4 egg one and split it with my husband, took less then 10 minutes to whip our brunch up too, score!
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    my omelets become scrambled eggs so I gave up at making omelets for the time being and my favorite is mixed with spinach and turkey ....i love the taste of the spinach, new favorite!!!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    One of the best omelettes is a thinnish one with some chopped herbs (I like chervil and chives). And salt. This is absolutely delicious!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I love me some omlettes. I use the liquid egg whites will use a 1/2 cup and load it up with lean deli meat, fatfree or 2% cheese, sometimes I put broccoli in it or peppers and onions. I like newmans own black bean salsa on the top.. mmmmm
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    LOVE omelets also! I have one most mornings made with southwestern style eggbeaters, fresh spinach, Jimmy dean lean turkey sausage crumbles and laughing cow cheese... OH MY YUM!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to make an omelette, but I lovelovelove having a veggie scramble for breakfast. I'll nuke a whole BAG of frozen veggies for 3 minutes, throw them in the skillet to brown with a teaspoon of butter, then put in an egg - or two if I'm headed to the gym for strength training. So much food, it's almost a struggle to eat it all... Under ten minutes from fridge to table... And it's under 300 calories, with near-perfect macros. LOVE!!!