Dietary potassium

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
I've been doing a little reading about potassium lately. It seems most of us don't get the RDA of potassium. I read some scary things about potassium deficiency etc. OK, maybe I should see if I can work a little more into my diet.

Then I checked my bloodwork from 2008 and 2011. K levels are dead center of the recommended range (4.5 mmol/L; reference range 3.6 - 5.3).

It seems this is one of those things you don't need to worry about if you're not deficient. Am I missing anything?

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Not that I can tell. A lot of foods don't include potassium in their nutritional info and the database is lacking in that area as well. It's very difficult to tell how much potassium you are getting.

I'm kind of surprised that you're only having blood work done every 3 years instead of annually, though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not that I can tell. A lot of foods don't include potassium in their nutritional info and the database is lacking in that area as well. It's very difficult to tell how much potassium you are getting.

I'm kind of surprised that you're only having blood work done every 3 years instead of annually, though.

I just don't bother going to the doc that often. I have another appointment in about a month.