Breakfast Quinoa

Options
Jacqsie
Jacqsie Posts: 51
Hey guys!

So I'm looking some healthy ideas to help me out. I'm swapping my morning oats and fruity mash up breakfasts for Quinoa. I am uncertain of how to make it and would love some help and ideas.

I'm vegan and do not use any alternative milks, butters, eggs, cheese stuff.
Any ideas? I would like it to be creamy so I was think about mashing a banana up with it?

Replies

• Jacqsie
    Options
    Come on...don't be shy :p
  • katunder
    katunder Posts: 41
    Options
    Breakfast Grains

Ingredients

1/2 cup cooked grains (rice, quinoa, kamut or wheat berries would be a good choice)
    1/4 cup milk (vanilla rice, soy or cow’s milk are good choices)
    1 teaspoon honey
    pinch cinnamon
    2 tablespoons berries (i use blueberries)

Preparation

1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over low to medium heat until the dish is creamy and most of the liquid has absorbed into the rice.
    2. Cool and serve.
  • katunder
    katunder Posts: 41
    Options
    Banana Quinoa Rice Pudding (Serves 4-6)

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
    1 14 oz can light coconut milk
    1 cup milk
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    3 tablespoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation

1. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse with water.
    2. Place quinoa, coconut milk and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes stirring continuously until thickened.
    4. Pour into individual ramekins and chill for 1-2 hours.*
    5. Serve.
    * The pudding can also be served warm.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/03/14/steel-cut-oats-recipe/

I like this recipe for quinoa and steel cut oats. With pictures !

I prepare it on Sunday for the entire week.

Each morning I take a portion from the fridge and is ready in 1 minute at the microwave.

Please try it
  • reachme
    reachme Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.queenofquinoa.me/2013/03/carrot-cake-smoothie/

This is yummy. Substitute the milk for soy milk/almond milk.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later. If you have a rice cooker, you can cook it in there too
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bumping for more ideas
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever eat quinoa is at breakfast. It just seems like a breakfast food to me! I take a little bit of olive oil and lightly toast the seeds first to get rid of the bitterness. Then cook the quinoa in almond milk for calcium and creaminess. Right after I pour the almond milk in I add some dried fruit for sweetness. That usually does it for me, but if it's not sweet enough you can add a bit of stevia at the end. Tasty! :drinker:

ETA: Oops! I see that you don't use alternative milks. So instead of the almond milk, just call it almond juice instead. :wink:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Coconut milk (which is not a milk substitute!) and banana, mango, and/or pineapple.

I've heard of people mixing in PB2 or peanut butter.

You could go savory with a nutritional yeast and Bragg's kind of thing.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    for a "creamy" texture, i would suggest blended silken tofu, mashed avacado, or something like tahini or peanut butter. that aside,

i noticed you don't do milk substitutes. does that include hemp, rice, almond, soy, or coconut milk? all of those have vegan friendly brands...is it by choice or just flavor preference?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've found that red quinoa works better in the breakfast recipes. For me. Not sure why. If you can find it, try it (co-op stores are the best bet if you don't want something packaged).
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has been a go-to breakfast for me! I usually add in a scoop of Amazing grass greens or spirulina as well

Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa
    1 cup homemade Vanilla almondmilk
    ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
    ½ Tablespoon chia seeds
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon vanilla
    2 Tablespoons raisins
    1 Tablespoon almond butter (optional)

Choco-coco Quinoa
    1 cup homemade coconut milk
    1/2 cup quinoa
    2 tbs raw cacao powder
    3 tbs shredded coconut
    1 tbs cacao nibs and goji berries each

Apple-cinnamon Quinoa
    (Same as cinnamon raisin except add 1 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of raisins and almond butter)

Pumpkin Pie quinoa
    (Same 4 first ingredients, 1 cup pumpkin and 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice) I top with caramelized pecans

EDIT: woops, missed the alternative milk part...Sorry, I'm out of ideas for that one. How on earth do you go without alternates? I'm pretty sure coconut milk was my life when I was vegan-then again, I'm an avid baker.
  • Jacqsie
    Options
    Thanks all!! They do sound so yummy even with the alternatives :P I made some this morning

80g quinoa
    water- I didn't measure, just poured it in until the quinoa was well covered hahaha
    One banana 80g also
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 a pomegranate

Okay so what I did was rinse them firstly rubbing them with my fingers then placed them in a pot with water, bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Added cinnamon and stirred.
    Then I mashed up one banana and added a little water to it to make it creamier, mixed this with the quinoa and garnished with pomegranate seeds..............it was sooooooooooooooooo good!!!
    I would like to know how much is a serving of quinoa....was 80g too much?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have bought quinoa that is powdered so if you can't get it blitz it into a powder yourself then you just cook it with water/milk and add what you like.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later. If you have a rice cooker, you can cook it in there too

I do this too!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    SFW Quinoa Breakfast Bake

I saw Quinoa Breakfast Bake on a friends thread in January, googled it, came up with about 5 recipes and have adapted it as follows:

Ingredients:

75-100g Quinoa

2 Egg Whites (or if I'm making a slice, I'll use one whole egg plus 2 whites)

1/4 Skim Milk (or less)

1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (mine is 35g)

100g Frozen Berries (or fresh)

Method:

1. Soak Quinoa for about 10 minutes, wash and drain.

2. Whisk Egg Whites.

3. Whisk in the scoop of Protein Powder, add milk and whisk that too.

4. Add Quinoa and mix, fold fruit into mixture.

5. Pour into oven proof dish.

6. Place in pre-heated moderate oven (180C) and bake for 20 minutes.

7. Eat warm - easy to prepare the night before and serve with a dollop of plain greek yoghurt and sprinkle of LSA.

8. Delicious!!

If it is a touch dry... I heat in the morning with a bit of water to soften it a bit, but I like a bit of crunch, so I like it that way. Tastes great!!

Serves 3

about 300 calories per serve, depending what protein powder you use, this can change.
    I've also added coconut into one version, yum.

38g Carbs

5g Fat

26g Protein

I've made this when friends are coming for afternoon tea and cut into squares. Delicious!