Are we not ment to go on in starvation mode?

Options
I am trying to eat less as I use to eat A LOT like every hour every time I was bored or watching tv I would just snack constantly so now I am trying to eat less but I hear about the body going into starvation mode?

But wouldn't it do that in the first month or so of your new plan??

Confused

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No - we are not meant to starve ourselves. There's no reason to starve yourself to lose weight - that's why they call it an eating disorder.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    But I don't feel like I am...I am eating smaller portions and loving it but I hear that my body is now going to store the fat?!? Isn't it what it has been doing since I am now overweight?!? So confused
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between eating less and starving yourself.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    We lose weight by creating a deficit between what the body needs (your TDEE) and what you're actually eating. When you eat less than your body needs it looks for that energy elsewhere, by breaking down your fat stores. When you create too large a deficit it can't break down those fat stores quickly enough so it also goes after some of your muscle. If you're obese that's not such a big deal because you're not going to need that extra muscle soon anyway (the less you weigh the less muscle your body needs to support itself). If you're in a healthy weight zone though that becomes a problem. Muscle not only makes you look good but it also drives your metabolism. Less muscle means a slower metabolism which means you start to burn less and less. Your body doesn't like that and it can lead to some health issues if you eat at an extreme deficit for too long.
  • elizajane1
    elizajane1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stay focused... Try to eat at least 1200 calories and exercise! That combo has been the key for me! I have tried to just eat right and just exercise, but I need to do both!! Hopefully this is the last time I have to do this!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    OP you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP...a good chunk of them at least. Google NEAT method for weight loss. This is what MFP uses and I'm tired of explaining it.

Starvation mode is an overused and misused term and, no, you won't go into starvation mode with what you're eating...but you will burn up a lot of muscle along with your fat and ultimately your metabolism will stall itself out and you will cease to lose. Weight loss is slow and steady, not quick and dirty.

Good luck at any rate.