Walking w/ Weight (not hand/ankle weights)

Options
I'm thinking walking might be a slightly better work out if I add weight, but not sure how to do it. I don't want to use ankle/hand weights. Would using a hiking backpack with weight in it work? Recommendations?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • Kiska77
    Kiska77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm looking to lose about 55 lbs total. I'd like to start running eventually, but not til the ice has melted off of the sidewalks (not running with weight). I just thought adding weight to the walk would intensify the 'workout'. I know it won't be crazy dramatic, but every little bit helps.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to lose about 55 lbs total. I'd like to start running eventually, but not til the ice has melted off of the sidewalks (not running with weight). I just thought adding weight to the walk would intensify the 'workout'. I know it won't be crazy dramatic, but every little bit helps.

Yes and no. Walking with weight can be pretty tough on the joints. But, so can jogging.

Here's a link on weighted walking:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/494473-how-to-burn-calories-by-walking-with-a-weighted-backpack/

But increasing intensity rather than weight might be safer. YMMV.

Me- I have a 55lb duffel bag full of sand that I throw on my shoulders and walk with sometimes.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You can buy weighted vest that keep the weight evenly distributed that is easier on the joints.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted vest. It allows me to balance the weight. I don't use it very often.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    when you said "weighted backpack" my first thought was do you want to carry my books for me? I don't suggest a back pack, my back hurts at the end of every night i have class.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking walking might be a slightly better work out if I add weight, but not sure how to do it. I don't want to use ankle/hand weights. Would using a hiking backpack with weight in it work? Recommendations?

Yes, this is what I do from time to time. I have an excellent day pack that is loaded with field guides, water and a rain-jacket and weighs between 10-20kg. My recommendations:

1. A good backpack will ensure that you are comfortable for longer.
    2. Carry lots of water. Remember 1 litre of water = 1kg. If you find you are carrying too much weight then empty some of your load.
    3. Wear good shoes, pref. with ankle support.
    4. Enjoy!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    i say screw it and walk around with a 45 lb weight in your hands all day.
  • Kiska77
    Options
    Ok, looks like I'll stick with a backpack for now. It has padded straps and a waist strap.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ok, looks like I'll stick with a backpack for now. It has padded straps and a waist strap.

I used to walk with a heavy backpack of great construction (Tom Bihn). I wasn't walking for exercise, but my legs began to hurt. A weighted vest is the best option.
  • Kiska77
    Options
    I may eventually switch to a vest, then again I may not. The end goal is running, which I do not want to do weighted. I guess I'm not sure I want to spend money on a vest I may only use a month or so, just til the ice then the muck is cleared from the sidewalks. I used to have to walk 2+ hours to work and the grocery store and while carrying the groceries two hours home was a b*tch, it was more b/c I was tired from 8 hours of work or oddly shaped items digging in than from the walking itself (at least, once I got used to it). I won't be starting with 2 hours nor will I be carrying strange objects, but I will be using the same pack, so I think I'll be ok. I'll keep tabs on my legs and back though, just to be sure.