So sick of restarting

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I got sick of restarting too. I got sick of the super sore muscles from starting over again. I got tired of my new clothes that I bought when I first dropped the weight suddenly becoming too tight again. I got tired of feeling like I was never going to reach my goals.

So I quit stopping. I finally just said this is it, and resolved that this time, there wasn't going to be any stopping, but I was going to stick to good, healthy, reasonable changes, making exercise a priority, and making healthy food choices. Part of that involved finding this thread and setting my calorie goals at 20% off my TDEE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 It also meant getting my workout clothes out the night before, setting my alarm for 4:45, and starting my workout by 5am, before the family is up.

I started tracking all my food again, every day, every bite, even when I was sick, even when I couldn't exercise for over a month. I logged in every day, rest days, exercise days, sick days, etc. And tomorrow will mark my 610th straight day of logging in at MFP. I think I can safely say it's become a habit now. :bigsmile:

This is my lifestyle now - eating well, fueling my body, making time for exercise, even if it's only 30 minutes with weights, or a fast 20 minute walk with my dogs. I make time for it. But when life gets in the way, I don't beat myself up for it. Birthdays, holidays, dinners out with friends, celebrations happen - make room for it, enjoy it. And keep moving, make better choices the next day, or the next week, or whatever, but keep logging, keep building good habits.

If you don't quit, you won't have to restart. So I quit quitting. :drinker:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Forget about all the ignorance posted here.....their brains havent fully developed to their full potential.

Im in the same boat as you...so I can relate. Its not that we dont want it bad enough; we do. Its something else going on inside our brains that causes us to give into this type of behavior.

Add me for support :flowerforyou:

So, everyone else's brain isn't fully developed, but yours isn't functioning properly? :huh:

Exactly. I'm going out on a limb and adding that WHEN you want this bad enough - YOU WILL DO IT. It has nothing to do with your brain malfunctioning or ignorance. It has to do with wanting one thing more than you want another. No one else can help you find that.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Forget about all the ignorance posted here.....their brains havent fully developed to their full potential.

Im in the same boat as you...so I can relate. Its not that we dont want it bad enough; we do. Its something else going on inside our brains that causes us to give into this type of behavior.

This explanation is much less painful than accepting responsibility.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know this is not a solution. But there's a lot of negativity here when I think what you need is a vote of confidence.

You can do this!!!

I find the people on this site who are really dedicated (as well as people you meet in your everyday life who are dedicated) can be overzealous and forget what it was like to be where you are.

They're right that it's about commitment, but the worst thing you can do for yourself is judge yourself too harshly. JUST BELIEVE!

I've started believing in myself and it's made all the difference.

I believe in you too.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

This explanation is much less painful than accepting responsibility.

yep.
  • beckyb1031
    Options
    I have had the same problem over the years. What I finally realized is that it's not about how bad I want it, it's about whether or not I believe I deserve it and I finally believe I do and you do too! You can do it!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Tired of restarting?

Quit stopping.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    We can't find it for you.

You just don't want it bad enough..

This... You just need to push yourself. I use to be the same way. But everyday you miss is one day farther from where you want to be.
  • reachme
    reachme Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You will do it! 5 bad days are not too bad. The decision to stop it ... is what matters. Tomorrow is a new day. You can do it.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

So, everyone else's brain isn't fully developed, but yours isn't functioning properly? :huh:

Exactly. I'm going out on a limb and adding that WHEN you want this bad enough - YOU WILL DO IT. It has nothing to do with your brain malfunctioning or ignorance. It has to do with wanting one thing more than you want another. No one else can help you find that.

Agree. I've though I wanted it bad enough before. But it wasn't enough to change
    Habits etc. I believe I want it bad enough now ill succeed because I believe it like never before
  • cbkirkman
    Options
    Hi there -

Thought I would reply to your post. One thing I've found that's super helpful is to have some accountability with someone. It can be a trainer, a friend, whatever, but someone who helps you keep on track. Tough love. I know I need to see some results every week or I get very frustrated, when probably your body is changing but you can't see it. Then the junk food creeps in and you go off the wagon. Forgive yourself, hop back on, and find someone to check in with once a week so you can stick to it. Also, make sure you measure and weigh yourself so you can see the progress! It really helps when you're down to the last bit. That's where I'm at and it's a pain!

Good luck!

Cindy
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Then, quit giving up so easily! It wasn't easy for any of us.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was expecting 20 pages of this...

fit-stop-giving-up.jpg

Literally I was JUST about to post this picture too!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Then, quit giving up so easily! It wasn't easy for any of us.

That's silly.

Your brain must only be halfway developed

:tongue:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Try baby steps. Pick something you KNOW you can do. When I started, I rebelled hard at first, but my first baby step was logging and I dutifully logged the thousands of calories of crap I ate for a few days while the toddler in me threw its tantrum.

Maybe try looking at what your TDEE will be at your goal weight and eating that. If you can't do that every day indefinitely you aren't ready to commit to the whole shebang. Maybe try committing to your TDEE at your current weight. Pick something, something you know YOU CAN DO, and DO IT!!
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's funny reading through some of these threads. Some comments are so harsh, but realistic. Now I don't feel so bad for thinking what I was thinking.

That aside, I'll add my two cents.

I never started, I just changed direction. Still eat cookies and and go out to eat, but I also stay within my daily goals. Not that hard if you have the mind to do it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

That is absolutely it. When you want a healthy, fit life more than you want chicken fingers, you will take the time to arrange your daily life whereby you won't run into chicken fingers. Yes, I spend a lot more time shopping and cooking and packing little containers of food for myself, but the pay off is that I don't crave food that isn't good for me and I have a lot of satisfaction in having met my goal and maintained it.
  • lovechattys
    lovechattys Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I went through the starting and stopping. It wasn't I didn't want it bad enough (cause I did and still do). I just was going about it the wrong way. If I had a bad day, full of bad choices...that was it I had failed so I gave up. I finally realized I didn't have to just because I made a bad choice. The next meal is always an opportunity to make a healthy choice. And hell I still have pizza and ice cream, I just log it. I am not giving up all the things I love (chocolate, never giving it up). I just try to stay under my calorie goal most days. I move more. I eat less. That is what I gotta keep doing. I no longer beat myself up. I embrace everyday (every meal) as a new opportunity to do what I need to for my health. And its working. Three months and still here still working it. The weight is still coming off (although some weeks are better than others).

Stop kicking yourself and make the changes one at a time. You will be able to stick to it better. Give yourself smaller goals so you can celebrate your victories.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have had to be my own motivator. I don't have anyone to take the food out of my hand and smack me. I agree with not wanting it enough. I have spent many years not wanting it enough. This time its different. I put blinders on and I have only looked ahead of me.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This news story got me kick-started. http://www.pubsub.com/weight-loss-AHA-moment_CNN-dFoXk5Zkw90,lwJSGan6WZqE

People like this are my heroes. The article just left me with no excuses somehow. And I committed that I could walk at least 15 minutes a day, no excuses. Now, I can run for 30, four months later. I can run a 5K to support kids with cancer who can't run.

I can burn 400 calories in a workout session. I can control my eating. I keep my choices with me so that I'm not tempted by other's choices and I try to eat alone as much as possible so that it's not an issue. I'm just not that strong yet.

I've learned there are such good foods out there that fried foods and many desserts aren't worth it. I know it takes me about a mile to earn 70 calories or so. It's just not worth it. I remember the cost.

I am almost at goal after four months and still set my calories just low enough that I have to earn the last 200-300 calories if I want them bad enough. It may not be the best way, but it's what is working for me until those habits are more fully engrained.

Read Prevention magazine. Inspire yourself. Read better recipe books. Go grocery shopping, just for you. Prepare yourself treats you can enjoy when others are making different choices. I really hope this works for you...it's too much effort to waste it.