Doctor's Orders....good advice!

Options
Doctor's Orders (Edit Post)
Posted on 2013-04-29 by Eclips50
I went in last week to for a checkup after a 3 year absence in the Doctors office. Usual round of tests, blood work, pap, ultrasound?, mammogram, stool occult sample? More bloodwork? What?!
I find out the results on Wednesday. My doctor doesn't call to let me know results, UNLESS "they find something abnormal". Gulp. O.k. then. I wait until Wednesday.
I like my Doctor. She is kind and patient (no pun intended). She seems to have a sense of humour and she is understanding. When I whined about my lack of weight loss since Christmas, she gave me this advice: don't sweat it. And follow the five S's.
SUGAR. Don't eat anything refined. including Agave. Only honey and cane sugar.
SALT. Eat it. Not the table salt (which I don't, ever). I use Kosher or sea salt only. She maintains a lack of salt in the system will have your body be,ieving it is hungry. Hmmm.
SLEEP. Get it. As much as possible and and least 8-10 hours a day.. Easier said than done when you have a spouse that snores louder than a chainsaw and "travels the world" in his sleep! But, I have adopyed earplugs (still hear him) and grasp the blankets with a death grip.
STRESS. Ditch it. Meditate. Breathe. Take yoga. Scream. Whatever it takes to lower the stress and cortisol levels that coincide with it. Your belly will thank you.
SATIATION. Listen to your body. Eat ONLY when you are hungry (even if that means once a day) and STOP when you are satiated, not FULL and it hurts. When you don't feel hungry anymore. Simple.
Eat whatever you want, featuring 1/3 of your plate protein, 1/3 veggies, 1/3 good carb. Stay away from nuts and quit worrying about losing. Take a walk instead.
The lady knows of what she speaks! The scale has finally started moving! Now, I will just wait for the results of my tests........

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    That's odd advice about sugar. I eat some sugar, but if I'm dieting, sugar, all of it, cane included, is the first thing I cut out, along with refined carbs.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    awesome, maybe I should go to see my GP
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Stay away from nuts? :huh:

I eat almonds, walnuts, and/or pistachios pretty much daily. Good stuff.

The rest seems legit, I just don't get why you should stay away from nuts, unless you have an allergy.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Agree about the sleep and stress. I can pack away 3,000 calories if I'm sleep deprived, it's like flipping a hormonal switch. Don't feel full, either. If I've had enough rest it's easy to stick to goal.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Doctor's Orders (Edit Post)
    Posted on 2013-04-29 by Eclips50
    I went in last week to for a checkup after a 3 year absence in the Doctors office. Usual round of tests, blood work, pap, ultrasound?, mammogram, stool occult sample? More bloodwork? What?!
    I find out the results on Wednesday. My doctor doesn't call to let me know results, UNLESS "they find something abnormal". Gulp. O.k. then. I wait until Wednesday.
    I like my Doctor. She is kind and patient (no pun intended). She seems to have a sense of humour and she is understanding. When I whined about my lack of weight loss since Christmas, she gave me this advice: don't sweat it. And follow the five S's.
    SUGAR. Don't eat anything refined. including Agave. Only honey and cane sugar.
    SALT. Eat it. Not the table salt (which I don't, ever). I use Kosher or sea salt only. She maintains a lack of salt in the system will have your body be,ieving it is hungry. Hmmm.
    SLEEP. Get it. As much as possible and and least 8-10 hours a day.. Easier said than done when you have a spouse that snores louder than a chainsaw and "travels the world" in his sleep! But, I have adopyed earplugs (still hear him) and grasp the blankets with a death grip.
    STRESS. Ditch it. Meditate. Breathe. Take yoga. Scream. Whatever it takes to lower the stress and cortisol levels that coincide with it. Your belly will thank you.
    SATIATION. Listen to your body. Eat ONLY when you are hungry (even if that means once a day) and STOP when you are satiated, not FULL and it hurts. When you don't feel hungry anymore. Simple.
    Eat whatever you want, featuring 1/3 of your plate protein, 1/3 veggies, 1/3 good carb. Stay away from nuts and quit worrying about losing. Take a walk instead.
    The lady knows of what she speaks! The scale has finally started moving! Now, I will just wait for the results of my tests........

I was deficient in Vitamin D when I went for my physical. That was why I had to fight to keep my eyes open all the time. It was a terrible problem that was easy to fix. I am glad I found out what was dragging me down.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

The rest seems legit, I just don't get why you should stay away from nuts, unless you have an allergy.

I was thinking the same thing... she lost me at nuts. Nuts have healthy fats and are perfect take along snacks. I love nuts and they ARE healthy.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I would imagine because very few people are able to properly eyeball a portion of nuts/seeds, and even if they could, it's unlikely that most people would stop at that. Nuts are healthy, yes, but people who don't understand the concept of calories and energy density may construe that as "eat as many as you like, they're healthy!" which, calorie-wise, is going to be an issue in dieting.

Most folk who ask their doctor for weight loss advice, actually most folk in general, don't... do calorie counting.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with nuts?? I get the other stuff but not that
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I would imagine because very few people are able to properly eyeball a portion of nuts/seeds, and even if they could, it's unlikely that most people would stop at that. Nuts are healthy, yes, but people who don't understand the concept of calories and energy density may construe that as "eat as many as you like, they're healthy!" which, calorie-wise, is going to be an issue in dieting.

Most folk who ask their doctor for weight loss advice, actually most folk in general, don't... do calorie counting.

I calorie count, and I asked my doc for advice. I hate to say, I think your statement is wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of it.
    The sugar recommendation is a bit...naff.
    The difference between unrefined sugar and honey against refined sugar is inconsequential. I haven't cut it out of my diet - just cut it back.
    Disagree with her recommendations regardng nuts. Nuts in small quantities (so long as one is not allergic to them) are good and a far better choice than many other energy dense snacks.

I agree whole heartedly with recommendations regarding stress and sleep.
    In fact, very little is discussed here on MFP on the role of sleep in maintaining health and also its impact on weight gain/obesity.
    I also agree with her recommendation to go for a walk rather than obsess over how little one's scales have moved.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I question this as well. I don't see a problem with nuts.
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The problem with nuts is moderation. While healthy, unless you take the time to measure it out then most people are eating way more than they should be. At least that is the only reason I can see for avoiding nuts.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i agree with most of it except for "eat only when hungry" and "avoid nuts".

nuts are fantastic.

doctors are doctors, not nutritionists. so don't take dietary advice from them.

you wouldn't ask your nutritionist about a broken ankle, because they didn't study to treat that.......
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would imagine the no HFCS thing would be very helpful for your average non-calorie-counter, since HFCS snacks are cheap, high in calories and ubiquitous. Nothing magical about cane sugar.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I disagree with "only eat when hungry" and about avoiding nuts...

I don't go to my GP for nutritional advice as their studies are not focused in that area. I would rather get info from someone who specializes in food and nutrition like I don't know a nutritionist or dietician.

I had a GP try to put me on 800 calories a day and she wanted me to take alli along with it. I laughed in her face and asked how much training she had and why she thought that was the best option for me. Her reply started with the studies have shown that alli... I stopped listening after that and told her I would talk to a nutritionist from now own when it came to weight loss. She is no longer my doctor and the nutritionist I saw after was not thrilled with my GP ill adviced attempt to try her hand at nutrition and weight loss.

All in all if you need to have brain surgery and you go to a consult with an ENT doc then the outcome is on you.