Nursing Mom

Options
I've started the MFP and I really like it... I'm having some issues knowing what my calorie goal should be. I'm a nursing Mom and I'm doing the P90X work out... I put in all the typical information for my weight and my goal weight and all of that and it says that I should be taking in 1200 calories but I read some where that as a nursing Mom I should be taking in 2000 to 2700 calories and I don't know how to adjust my settings. I still want to lose weight, but I want to be able to produce enough milk for my newborn. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Replies

• spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    There should be a spot to enter nursing moms... I am not sure if you did that...:)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Try setting your activity level to very high and see where that puts you. If it's not enough, add an exercise every day for nursing and the amount of calories you need.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

There are a couple different ways to add in calories for nursing.
    1) Add a personal exercise that burns somewhere between 400-600 calories (this is what I recommend, but that's just me:happy: )
    2) Add in the number of ounces you produce per day into your food diary (it is enterred as a negative calorie food)

But you are absolutely right to be concerned about supply. If you don't take in enough calories, it will decrease. Also be sure that you are enterring your exercise from the P90X. Try to eat all the calories you are given!

Another option you might want to think about is to look at what your maintenance calories would be for both your current weight AND your goal weight. Then just keep your daily intake between those two numbers.

If you want to adjust how many calories MFP says you should have as a base (without exercise) go to "Goals" (under the "MY HOME" tab), and click on "Change Goals." From there, select "Custom." Then you can enter values for all KINDS of things.

If you have more questions, let me know!
  • mtracy11
    mtracy11 Posts: 13
    Options
    Maybe while you're nursing, you should workout, but not watch your calorie intake as strictly. I definitely know you need more than 1200 while nursing, around 1800-2000 should be enough to keep losing while nursing.
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Under food diary type in "breastfeeding" and an option comes up. If the baby is under 6 months and all food is from nursing, you should add at the LEAST 500 calories each day. It enters it as a negative 500 to your daily caloric intake. As the baby eats less, you can lower it. Good luck!!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    It also depends on how much you are nursing. If you are exclusively nursing you should add about 600 cals to your daily diet, if you nursing less you can go down closer to 400. Remember you BURN all those calories nursing so its not like it will cause you to gain. If you go to low you will affect your supply. Congrats on Nursing. I nursed both mine past a year so if you have any further questions let me know :flowerforyou:
  • BecLynn
    BecLynn Posts: 2
    Options
    I just want to THANK EVERYONE for all of your input! It helps tremendously!!! I really appreciate it. I really want to keep using this teriffic tool online I just need to figure out how to make it work for me =) Much appreciated! =)