so what is true?

Options
so i hav come a long way and learned many things about weight loss and have successfully lost 17 pounds so far,but their are still few things that make me confuse.......that being said ..i am not gonna ask how much should i eat ..my question is that almost every article and fitness mag says that weight loss is 80% nutrition and only 20% workout so you should not overdo it and harm your body....but every other day on mfp itself i have read so many members saying that they burn abt 600-700 cal day...now why i ask this because as much as i really want to lose weight fast, i want to maintain it for rest of my life and being a chronic back pain patient its really difficult for me to do workouts that hard or that insane to burn 700-800 cal...i only can manage 300-400 cal day...i eat clean ...20%minus my TDEE...i get worried that if i dont burn that much i wont be able to lose weight.....

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For *weight loss,* all you need is a calorie deficit. Whether you create that through burning more or eating less (or whatever combination of the two) is up to you and, in the end, won't cause you to lose any faster or slower.

However, working out can help your health in a lot of ways. Cardio work helps increase your endurance and cardiovascular health. Weight training will build muscle, which will make you stronger and look better. Additional muscle will also help you burn more calories during the day. And, as someone who also suffers from chronic back pain, I can tell you that my back never feels better than when I've been on a good streak of getting strength workouts in and my core/glutes/legs are feeling nice and strong. You don't want to overdo it, and of course you should consult your doctor, etc, but building strong muscles is one of the best ways to support weak joints.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 lbs. total. 44 since joining MFP. I am a member of a gym and go pretty regularly now, but from September of 2012 until January of 2013, I only made it to the gym 3 times due to health issues that one of my children has. I lost most of my weight during that time by just changing how I eat and logging everything. It has been my experience that diet does play the biggest part in losing weight. However, exercise certainly has health benefits.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So far I've been exercising almost everyday, but really not vigorously. I do between 15-30 minutes on my stationary bike while watching tv. But I've managed to lose 22 pounds in the last 2 1/2 months. I think healthy eating and portion control have the most to do with my weight loss so far.
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thanks ....i agree that building muscles are good for joints ...in my case i dont know why but i couldnt do much of toning exercise as compare to the cardio ones ...i feel tired very early with lifting workouts..
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Most of us on MFP are just a bit on the crazy side... those of us who have been around a long time, anyway. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You do you and let them do them.

I'm a runner so I burn a lot during and leading up to race season (like now). Others are into their respective sports and just do them. I'm not sure I understand why anyone would do hours of, like, beachbody DVDs or whatever, but to each their own.

You're doing great!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter . i lost my weight with no formal exercise
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The only way I came close to burning 700 cals in an hour workout was when I did a tabada workout with my trainer. Its high intensity circuit training. Most workouts are 400-500 and they are that high because I have a fair bit of weight to lose.

I think some people over estimate the cals they are burning. Try getting a HRM monitor that can tell you how many cals you are burning. Then you will know what you are doing.

And yes, eat your calories (TDEE - 20%). If you have calculated your exercise in you TDEE, that is what you need to eat everyday.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight with MILD exercise.
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ya i have heart monitor...i guess i do what i do...and wait
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For *weight loss,* all you need is a calorie deficit. Whether you create that through burning more or eating less (or whatever combination of the two) is up to you and, in the end, won't cause you to lose any faster or slower.

However, working out can help your health in a lot of ways. Cardio work helps increase your endurance and cardiovascular health. Weight training will build muscle, which will make you stronger and look better. Additional muscle will also help you burn more calories during the day. And, as someone who also suffers from chronic back pain, I can tell you that my back never feels better than when I've been on a good streak of getting strength workouts in and my core/glutes/legs are feeling nice and strong. You don't want to overdo it, and of course you should consult your doctor, etc, but building strong muscles is one of the best ways to support weak joints.

What he says.

You have to go real slow with strength training when you have a weak back because it is very tempting to overdo it. It is good to stay away from weighted squats, deadlifts, and other similar exercises. One frustration I had with Jillian Michaels workouts even for beginners is that she pushes so many of those exercises that people with back problems cannot do without injury.

I learned the sticking at your health level in the gym when I saw a lady who looked very fit and her legs were muscular, yet she was doing a certain exercise with only moderate weight like 40 lbs for an upper body exercise. You don't have to kill yourself with weight to get good results.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    so i hav come a long way and learned many things about weight loss and have successfully lost 17 pounds so far,but their are still few things that make me confuse.......that being said ..i am not gonna ask how much should i eat ..my question is that almost every article and fitness mag says that weight loss is 80% nutrition and only 20% workout so you should not overdo it and harm your body....but every other day on mfp itself i have read so many members saying that they burn abt 600-700 cal day...now why i ask this because as much as i really want to lose weight fast, i want to maintain it for rest of my life and being a chronic back pain patient its really difficult for me to do workouts that hard or that insane to burn 700-800 cal...i only can manage 300-400 cal day...i eat clean ...20%minus my TDEE...i get worried that if i dont burn that much i wont be able to lose weight.....

I know this is not your original question, but for exercise, try the Gazelle. It burns calories but doesn't hurt your joints or back.