Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

weight loss and pain in arms and legs?

My daughter and I both are experiencing pain in our arms and legs, similar to restless leg syndrome, on the nights before we record a weight loss. It can drive you crazy and make sleep difficult. Does anyone else experience this and do you know why this would be happening?
If so, what if anything do you do about it? Thanks for the help on this!

Replies

• Riddleme11
    Riddleme11 Posts: 1 Member
    I am not sure what would be causing it, but I take Calcium Magnesium for my restless leg syndrome and it helps.
  • chillmcgren
    chillmcgren Posts: 31 Member
    sometimes I have a hard time sleeping/staying asleep because I feel so muscley.

a warm bath (or very very cold shower) helps with the pain. or deep pressure. I make my husband sit on my legs to reset them.
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Potassium and making sure I am hydrated helps me. You may drink less since it is the day before your weigh-in.

This may sound weird, but go to the Dollar store and pick up some bars of soap. Place these under the sheet at the end of your bed. When you feel your legs starting to hurt and/or cramp, place your foot on the soap.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Without looking at your diary, it is hard to tell. I would guess that you are not getting enough potassium. Most people don't track it. It should be twice your sodium level. Even if you are taking a potassium supplement prescribed by the doctor, you need to check your numbers. Remember that potassium is also water soluble and with all the water you drink, you are washing it out of your system.

Also, magnesium is vital to a woman's well being.

The soap thing does work. Haven't figured that out yet either.
  • smr1015
    smr1015 Posts: 6 Member
    It's most likely due to something in your diet. If it's just general pain, you may not be eating enough carbs. But as others have mentioned, if it's just the day before the weigh in, I would suspect that you're not getting enough water, as you're trying to improve your numbers. If your arms and legs are sore from working out, and aches occur just with movements similar to what you did at the gym (going up stairs, lifting groceries, etc.) I would say eat more protein.

I think the soap trick is probably just to get you to relax your legs. To get your back to actually lay flat, you need to bend your knees. If this is working for you, you're probably getting tightness from your calves, hamstrings, glutes, and maybe even a sore lower back. These muscles are all connected, and if one is tight, it will pull on the others. My suggestion here is similar - drink lots of water, stretch like crazy after working out (spend a good 10-15 minutes!), stretch when you get out of a hot shower or bath (your muscles are warm, you won't hurt yourself), and introduce yourself to a foam roller to massage out your leg muscles. Sometimes I lay on the floor with my feet elevated on a chair and just breath deeply 10-15 minutes before bed, and this helps to relieve all kinds of mental and physical stress.

When all else fails, and my legs are tight before bed, I'll take some ibuprofen to help them relax, at least until I fall asleep.
  • I get this when I'm low on Magneisum. Try eating 2 bananas or you can get a magneisum supplements or powders from your local nutritionist and online. It really helps. I used to feel like ripping my leg off it was so bad.
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    I'm one of those people who weighs herself everyday, so it's not the drinking less water those days to weight less. I do think I probably don't get enough magnesium or potassium and will start supplements.
    The soap thing sounds interesting and I am willing to try it and all of your suggestions to get relief.
    Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate how members are willing to help one another figure these things out.
    NOTE: I will begin tracking nutrients today if MFP allows you to.
    Thanks again!!!:yawn: :smile: