Dr. said no more carbs

Options
Went to yearly check up..all good except for high sugar... Dr. Said to get my energy through protirn...is this the adkins diet?

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Protim sounds yummy
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Went to yearly check up..all good except for high sugar... Dr. Said to get my energy through protirn...is this the adkins diet?

I'd guess, with high blood sugars, s/he is probably recommending the diabetic diet which is lower carb. Unless your doctor actually said "no carbs" .
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Protim sounds yummy

Don't be a jerk. She clearly wrote "protirn". Protirn is delicious, by the way.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Atkins would be one of the low-carb diets suitable for diabetics. You might want to look into diets that focus on low carb/high fat. There are several helpful groups on MFP where you won't get the amount of snark you'll find in the regular forums

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Only bc I'm curious and do not trust some of the doctors I have worked with but did your doctor only run 1 test and decide this? Ever consider follow up testing to make sure there's a trend and see if the change is necessary?
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My husband and I try to eat foods that don't spike your bloodsugar ....low glycemic load foods. It has helped lower my husbands blood sugar numbers and seems to help with cravings and energy.We still eat carbs like fruit..veges..stay away from processed carbs.
  • presshard
    presshard Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My doctor did 3 tests, each a month apart....
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Only bc I'm curious and do not trust some of the doctors I have worked with but did your doctor only run 1 test and decide this? Ever consider follow up testing to make sure there's a trend and see if the change is necessary?

This. And if he said "no carbs" , its pretty clear he knows 0 about nutrition.
    You can't possibly eat well with 0 carbs.

Ditching processed foods, and reducing the amounts of sugars you take in would be easy to sustain. 0 carb is impossible.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My husband and I try to eat foods that don't spike your bloodsugar ....low glycemic load foods. It has helped lower my husbands blood sugar numbers and seems to help with cravings and energy.We still eat carbs like fruit..veges..stay away from processed carbs.

<<<<<Newly diagnosed T2 diabetic here
    :huh: the syle of eating that is the average 'low' glycemic diet are not geared toward diabetics. Still too many carbs.

Check out bloodsugar101.com

I'm only 2ish weeks in and have already seen a downward trend in my BG's, both fasting & post meal.
    The only way to be able to tell which foods spike your BG (blood glucose) is to test like crazy.

Recommendation is to keep below 140mg/dl 2 hrs post meal & below 120 pre meal and if you can get better, do it.
    I'm 44 so I'm hoping to have a lot of years without complications. It's widely held that BG's in the above 140's range are associated with organ damage & diabetes related complications.

What can I eat?....anything but potatoes, rice, pasta, bread & starchy veggies (peas, corn etc).
    That leaves you with things like full fat butter, cream or 1/2 & 1/2 (if it doesn't spike you, some people, sadly, it does) bacon, all meats and not necessarily lean either.

Fats are your friend (don't go overboard as extra weight from extra calories are not) as they help slow down absorption of carbs and will blunt your BG's so you don't have those damaging spikes.

I'm still adjusting, my diet is no carb mod fat. Here are my stats if you think it may help you.

I'm 44 yr old mixed asian female casual BG at diagnosis on 4-13-2013 was 266mg/dl, A1C 9.9
    Januvia 100mg PO SID
    Fasting BG's were 150-200mg/dl
    Post meal BG's were 160-240mg/dl

Currently, my fasting BG's are around 130-140mg/dl and my post meal BG's have made the biggest improvement are trending at 112-120mg/dl.

For additional VERY VERY specific info, Check out tudiabetes.com and I'm pretty sure bloodsugar101.com has a page wtith a list of dibetic specific bulletin boards that I've found incredibly helpful.

A couple of wonderfully helpful diabetics here on MFP tossed me the lifeline above when I first reached out a few weeks ago & without it, I'd not been able to get my numbers down this far. I'm looking forward to my 2nd A1c, planning on kicking *kitten*.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend you go to a diabetic nutritionist. I'm not diabetic, but I had gestational diabetes with my second, and the dietician helped me understand how to eat to keep my sugars under control with diet alone. Obviously, that's a bit different than being T2, but it's a place to start. There's also a ton of trial and error in getting your diet just right for you. I could NOT have carbs at breakfast, or my next number was high. But, If I wanted a good fasted morning number, I needed carbs right before bed. It took some trial and error to find that, but eventually I found a happy place where I was mostly satisfied food-wise, my numbers were under control, and I gave birth to a healthy baby. That might be a very good place for you to start.
  • hookilau
    Options

Ditching processed foods, and reducing the amounts of sugars you take in would be easy to sustain. 0 carb is impossible.

If I have more than 15 g of carb (that's 1 slice of ezekial sticks & stones bread) in one sitting, my blood glucose spikes to above healthy levels of upwards of 170mg/dl. If balanced out with 1 oz of cheese, I may be able to get 150-160mg/dl. Then I have to go for a brisk 30 minute walk & I can get it down to about 115-1120mg/dl (within acceptable range).

I eat close to NO carbs per meal until I can get my BG's in a good range. Anything above 140mg/dl is associated with organ damage. My meals are things like stuffed peppers, steak & eggs, salads with meats etc.

No rice, pasta,(brown or otherwise) potatoes or starchy veggies. Bread only in moderation and only just before the gym because weight training first spikes my BG (yes, I tested at the gym) but then I get nice even lows of 110-112 for the rest of the day.

It's complicated. A lot more complicated than you realize. :ohwell:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

If I have more than 15 g of carb (that's 1 slice of ezekial sticks & stones bread) in one sitting, my blood glucose spikes to above healthy levels of upwards of 170mg/dl. If balanced out with 1 oz of cheese, I may be able to get 150-160mg/dl. Then I have to go for a brisk 30 minute walk & I can get it down to about 115-1120mg/dl (within acceptable range).

I eat close to NO carbs per meal until I can get my BG's in a good range. Anything above 140mg/dl is associated with organ damage. My meals are things like stuffed peppers, steak & eggs, salads with meats etc.

No rice, pasta,(brown or otherwise) potatoes or starchy veggies. Bread only in moderation and only just before the gym because weight training first spikes my BG (yes, I tested at the gym) but then I get nice even lows of 110-112 for the rest of the day.

It's complicated. A lot more complicated than you realize. :ohwell:

I'm curious what there was about his comment that makes you think that he doesn't understand how it works.

Was there something about his statement that you don't agree with?
  • hookilau
    Options

this...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I'm curious what there was about his comment that makes you think that he doesn't understand how it works.

Was there something about his statement that you don't agree with?
    I was wondering the same thing haha

I understand that it's a rather complicated issue, and I think she should probably see a dietitian who specializes in working with diabetics. But 0 carb is not possible, which is why I stated the doctor was clearly uninformed if thats what he recommended.

Even non starchy veggies have small amounts of carbohydrates.....
  • hookilau
    Options
    Really?....I'm not going to argue semantics with you. That's not what I'm here for :flowerforyou:

If you read my post, you'd see that I'm referring to rice, potatoes bread & starchy veggies.
  • SideSteel
    Options

this...

Nothing you said in your post has refuted his information.

You do realize, I hope, that there's a massive difference between 15g carbs per meal and ZERO CARBS.
  • hookilau
    Options
    :noway: :laugh:
    have a nice day.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Really?....I'm not going to argue semantics with you. That's not what I'm here for :flowerforyou:

If you read my post, you'd see that I'm referring to rice, potatoes bread & starchy veggies.

That's fine, but before you attempt to insult him you should take a step back and read that he is literally talking about ZERO CARBS because the subject of this thread is "Dr. said no more carbs" which implies ZERO CARBS.

0g carbohydrate =/= 15g carbohydrate (and I would suspect your total daily intake of carbohydrate is above 15 since 15 is your per-meal threshold based on your blood glucose issues).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

This.

The fact that your doctor has no idea how the Krebb's cycle works, which he should have learned in elementary biology, makes me question his credibility.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    In your position hun I would go back and ask for further info. To just say get energy from protein and no carbs isn't really helpful. You could do with regular checks ups to watch your blood sugar levels.

In the first instance I'd suggest trying to cut out processed foods. Try sticking to things like fish, meats, eggs, fresh vegetables (things like leaft green type of veg tend to be the lowest) and salad. Some fruit is very high in carbs so try to stick to things like strawberries and blueberries.

Don't shy away from fat. Usually things that are "low fat" are higher in carbs than their full fat versions. Try full fat greek yoghurt and things like full fat mayo. Although higher in carlories they are more filling than their low fat versions so you can still control your calorie intake.

But I would definitely be asking for more information or referal to someone who can help you out with your diet. Good luck!