Help The scale is stuck for months!

So what do you do when the scale is stuck? Or worse you fluctuate back and forth by 3 pounds. Read all the fitness ideas... Increase the protein, increase the water, increase the fiber. I have even heard you shouldn't be counting your fitness calories. So real people...what is working for you?!

I have my activity level set as lightly active. Being a nurse I am always on my feet. Plus I figured my workouts wouldn't be calculated in my daily calories. I am eating 1250- 1350 in calories a day. Some days even under. The app states I should be eating 1250. But some days when I burn 500 calories at the gym I use some not all of those calories. The only time I might use all of the calories is if I know I will be splurging that day. Which is rare treats of the Olive Garden ( once a month or less)

I was on average drinking 4 glasses of water and now drinking 5-8 glasses, all it seems to do is make me pee more. Running to the bathroom does that count as exercise??

I changed up my workouts also. Now what?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,171 Member
    The first thing people will tell you is to eat more. It may work for you.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Really? Eat more? It knew going under 1200 was unhealthy. So I tried fluctuating between 1250 and 1350 thinking that would help. How much more ? I don't want to gain back the weight after all my hard work either. People keep telling me you only have 5 pounds left just be happy on what you already lost. What they can't wrap their head around is that for my height/weight/age I should be between 114-128lbs. I want 127. Just in that range. Or even under 130 would be awesome! Haven't seen that since high school. I want to look heathy not skinny. I like some meat and not all bones. I don't want to look sick. If I could lose the stomach pouch weight wouldn't be such a factor.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Hi yes it does sound like you aren't eating enough. I don't think you are lightly active first of all since you said you are on your feet a lot as a nurse. Here is a quick way to work out what you should be eating. When you don't eat enough you plateau like this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Are you wearing a pedometer? Being a nurse, you walk more than 10k steps, right? Change your activity to the highest you can, very active is it? I don't eat back my calories from my workouts. Also, keep track of your sodium. I have noticed a huge change once I lowered mine to 1500 mg/day. I read online to up your potassium to 40x your desired weight. My desired weight is 130, so my potassium should be 5200/day; not all food labels recognize potassium though. Make sure you are drinking a ton of water, at least 1/2 your body weight in oz...your body will get used to it.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    I am an ER nurse. Wore a pedometer for a few weeks busy nights...3 miles slow around a mile a night. So I was afraid to make my activity level high. Not to mention I work night shift. Making my first day off a lounge day...I get my gym in on that day still. However I find myself lounging a little more. The second day off I am more active. So being on the safe side I choose the lightly active, Giving me an even amount since thought the week it changes.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    How in the world are you not in the bathroom ALL the time?? I have a 3 glass water bottle I use daily. However working night shift I drink a ton of coffee ( less calories than soda). Does that count as water since I fill the coffee maker with a whole pot of it?
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Thanks for the link
  • Livingdeadnurse
    okay so on the link it gave me a better calculator on figuring out what my daily calories should be. 1862 to maintain and then I should eat 20% less to lose. which would be 1490. I think i did that right. So what is everyone else's daily count?
  • I work part time, on my feet, I eat around 2000 a day for a loss of a 1lb a week. On average I burn 2500 calories a day just doing normal things daily. Your job is far more active than mine, you are under eating by a long way. My Fitness Pal is designed so you add in your exercise calories and EAT them. The deficit created by eating 1250 daily is already there before you exercise. Any exercise you do is considered a bonus to your calorie intake for that day.

You are probably not losing because your body is reluctant to shed any fat as it doesn't feel like it can spare it when you are eating so little. It will fight to keep it if it feels like it's being underfed.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    okay so I am going to increase my food calorie intake. I don't want to eat all my exercise calories but I will start eating more. My problem...extra calories usually means i eat the wrong things... :(