Need Outside Perspective on 'healthy/normal eating'

Options
I've never had a very healthy relationship with food and at one point struggled through exercise bulimia and binge eating. I am up the mend and recovering (yay!) with the help of the intuitive eating principles. I am definitely trying really hard to listen to my body and honor my hunger and respect my fullness. I don't allow myself to calorie count anymore and obviously I've put on weight (120lbs to 130lbs for a 5'5" female) and my pants size has gone from a 2 to a 4. It's hard to watch the weight come back, sometimes really hard, but my outlook on food and my happiness has improved. I no longer exercise 3 times a day and I restrict no foods which has helped to restrict the extent of my binging. It seems the more I thought I couldn't have something the more I wanted it.

Anyway I try to eat very mindfully but I still often end up overeating. For example today my day went as follows:

Class at 6:30am-8:00am
8:00am Large homemade smoothie made of frozen bananas, chopped apples, cinnamon, and a little orange juice and skim milk
10:30am Nutrigrain bar and handful of almonds
11:30-12:30 Ab and arm workout
2:30pm Veggie Salad with hemp vinaigrette, whole wheat toast with peanut butter
4:00pm (felt hungry again) 3 apples, 2.5 bananas, .5 container of peanut butter, 1 cup of fat free greek yogurt, granola with cinnamon/brown sugar/skim milk
7:20: 10 minute run to a presentation on campus
8:45pm Chocolate covered strawberries, fruit on a stick, cherry tomato basil and mozzarella on a stick after guest speaker
11:00pm Bed

I definitely overate (all the portions were really large as well) but I would like someone with an outside perspective to kind of look this over. I know I need to pay more attention to my satiation cues, but it's difficult because sometime the binge mentality takes over a little. I'm getting better, it just takes time, and hopefully some advice and comments from the healthy people here on how to do better. Just to reiterate, I'm not calorie counting, it really doesn't help me to develop a healthy mindset towards food, but I do want to be healthy and fit (intuitive eating style). My days are pretty long and I have good energy the entire time, so I think along with my vitamins and supplements I've giving my body good stuff… Just too much too often. Opinions? Help?

Replies

• ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Looks like you lack Protein. Protein keeps you full :)
  • kelseybuch
    Options
    I have to admit I'm no nutritionist but I do have a similar struggle going on. My family has a history of diabetes and heart disease so when I started gaining weight exponentially I went into my doctor and she basically told me to do some research and figure out what I need to do. Granted, I do have metabolism problems because of my messed up thyroid :( but I have figured out something that works. I've been vegan for a little over 3 weeks and I have lost 10 pounds. I'm not suggesting that anyone go to these extremes, but I think that everyone needs to find something that works for their body and their lifestyle. I'm definitely a person who needs extreme structure and knowing things I can and can't eat makes it easier for me. I know another option would be to give up white carbs, my doctor said it makes people lose about 20 pounds in a few months. But finding out what suits your body is what's best. I feel so much better, and I know I'm getting the nutrients I need because of the research I've done. If you're interested in veganism I suggest watching the documentary forks over knives. Netflix is full of diet-related documentaries! I hope this helps somewhat because it sure took a long time...
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    I am very interested in the intuitive eating process. I really want to one day be able to completely listen to my bodies on natural wisdom. if I can only quiet myself long enough to hear it.

I would love to eat like a naturally thin person.... one day!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

This! I think if you up your protein quite a bit by having some with every meal then you'll feel fuller longer and won't eat so much. My doctor even said this.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    What did you eat for dinner - was my first thought. It seems like there'd be no need to eat that much fruit and snacks in the afternoon if you knew you were having a filling healthy dinner later,
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    By now you are probably tired of hearing it but: protein. I notice that you are filling up on very large amounts of fruit (3 apple and 2.5 bananas is a lot of carbohydrate in one shot) Try adding a high quality protein source with each meal and snack (peanut butter is nice but does not pack as much protein as many think). Some of my favorite snack items are cheese portions or cheese strings (usually less than an ounce of mostly protein and some fat that helps with satiety). A hard boiled egg. A tiny can of ready to eat tuna or salmon (75 - 85 grams) or a piece of some kind of meat - chicken on your salad, etc. Then watch the macros on your food diary to ensure your protien, carbs and fat are in good balance.

PS. Your current weight is probaboy quite healthy for you and a size 4 jeans are quite slim for a 5'5" woman.

PPS. You are giving your body good food, but the balance could work better for you.

Good luck and good health.
  • foxxykitten
    Options
    Thank you for all the words of advice (and dealing with my typos up there)! I am def going to try for more protein today and see how that goes. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks you all!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

This! I think if you up your protein quite a bit by having some with every meal then you'll feel fuller longer and won't eat so much. My doctor even said this.

I disagree with this. I find a balanced meal with fruits vegetables starches and proteins keeps me full and satisfied.I read in forks over knives that when the stomach is full the full signals will start to go off and keep you from eating. So if you eat a balaned meal with a lot of volume it will fill the stomach and signal your body that it is full and keep it satisfied for a longer period of time.
  • bigsargeofsc
    Options
    Way too much sugar from all the fruit and not near enough protein.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    I am very interested in the intuitive eating process. I really want to one day be able to completely listen to my bodies on natural wisdom. if I can only quiet myself long enough to hear it.

I would love to eat like a naturally thin person.... one day!

I would like that too. I am not very good at listening to my bodies own natural wisdom though. I tried intuitive eating and it did not work for me.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    I've never had a very healthy relationship with food and at one point struggled through exercise bulimia and binge eating. I am up the mend and recovering (yay!) with the help of the intuitive eating principles. I am definitely trying really hard to listen to my body and honor my hunger and respect my fullness. I don't allow myself to calorie count anymore and obviously I've put on weight (120lbs to 130lbs for a 5'5" female) and my pants size has gone from a 2 to a 4. It's hard to watch the weight come back, sometimes really hard, but my outlook on food and my happiness has improved. I no longer exercise 3 times a day and I restrict no foods which has helped to restrict the extent of my binging. It seems the more I thought I couldn't have something the more I wanted it.

Anyway I try to eat very mindfully but I still often end up overeating. For example today my day went as follows:

Class at 6:30am-8:00am
    8:00am Large homemade smoothie made of frozen bananas, chopped apples, cinnamon, and a little orange juice and skim milk
    10:30am Nutrigrain bar and handful of almonds
    11:30-12:30 Ab and arm workout
    2:30pm Veggie Salad with hemp vinaigrette, whole wheat toast with peanut butter
    4:00pm (felt hungry again) 3 apples, 2.5 bananas, .5 container of peanut butter, 1 cup of fat free greek yogurt, granola with cinnamon/brown sugar/skim milk
    7:20: 10 minute run to a presentation on campus
    8:45pm Chocolate covered strawberries, fruit on a stick, cherry tomato basil and mozzarella on a stick after guest speaker
    11:00pm Bed

I definitely overate (all the portions were really large as well) but I would like someone with an outside perspective to kind of look this over. I know I need to pay more attention to my satiation cues, but it's difficult because sometime the binge mentality takes over a little. I'm getting better, it just takes time, and hopefully some advice and comments from the healthy people here on how to do better. Just to reiterate, I'm not calorie counting, it really doesn't help me to develop a healthy mindset towards food, but I do want to be healthy and fit (intuitive eating style). My days are pretty long and I have good energy the entire time, so I think along with my vitamins and supplements I've giving my body good stuff… Just too much too often. Opinions? Help?

You are eating a LOT of fruit. Fruit is pretty calorie dense and sugar dense. I like fruit too so your eating is understandable. Your meal plan does not include many whole grains in their natural state either. Those can help take the edge off of hunger. ( I never found granola, nutrigrain bars, and the like very filling.)
  • foxxykitten
    Options
    Too much fruit? Okay, but gosh I love it… Keep the advice coming!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    one way is to understand that *food is fuel*, nothing more, nothing less. it is not love, not a way to avoid boredom, not something "to do". your body needs food to do things (like survive) and food is the fuel. much like a car, you need to fill your car with good quality gas to keep it running efficiently and well. ever went to one of those cheap gas stations (no name) and the gas you get is crap? ie. it runs out pretty damn fast and doesn't give you much mileage?

food is the gas. your body is the car.

to keep your body running at its optimal level, you must feed it properly -- healthy fats, healthy carbs, lean proteins and whole grains. plenty of fresh fruits/vegetables. lots of water.

your diet is missing fats, carbs and lean proteins. increase your protein intake to stay full longer. too much fruit will eventually cause your sugar levels to spike. while fruit is great for you, in excess isn't good for you... everything must be eaten in moderation.

fats are not the enemy..... in fact, your body needs a certain amount of healthy fats to stay healthy. avocados, nuts, fish oils etc are great sources. it also helps you stay full longer as well.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    one way is to understand that *food is fuel*, nothing more, nothing less. it is not love, not a way to avoid boredom, not something "to do". your body needs food to do things (like survive) and food is the fuel. much like a car, you need to fill your car with good quality gas to keep it running efficiently and well. ever went to one of those cheap gas stations (no name) and the gas you get is crap? ie. it runs out pretty damn fast and doesn't give you much mileage?

food is the gas. your body is the car.

to keep your body running at its optimal level, you must feed it properly -- healthy fats, healthy carbs, lean proteins and whole grains. plenty of fresh fruits/vegetables. lots of water.

your diet is missing fats, carbs and lean proteins. increase your protein intake to stay full longer. too much fruit will eventually cause your sugar levels to spike. while fruit is great for you, in excess isn't good for you... everything must be eaten in moderation.

fats are not the enemy..... in fact, your body needs a certain amount of healthy fats to stay healthy. avocados, nuts, fish oils etc are great sources. it also helps you stay full longer as well.

^^Took the words right out of my mouth!^^

Seriously, fat is not the enemy. I seem to get anywhere from 20-40% calories from fat per day, and I eat a lot of whole grains, too. Of course, it does take a while to get around that thought, but you're headed in the right direction.

For me, as far as portion sizes go, I find that it helps if I estimate a good portion and eat that. Then ask myself if I am still hungry. If I am, I'll eat more. If not, theoretically I'll stop. I say theoretically, because I don't always. Hence opening an account here! But basically, yes, you need to take time to listen to your body, and make sure you eat enough per meal so that you aren't hungry too soon. I find that when I am hungry (and by hungry, I mean, really hungry, not just snack-worthy hungry), I tend to eat too much. If I am just normally hungry, I will eat better. Now, I eat larger meals and only 2 to 3 of them, because I don't believe in snacking, but you need to figure out what works for you. For me, eating a larger meal (currently 750-1000 calories each, depending on whether I eat 2 or 3 meals that day) works, but I have to eat some fat with it, otherwise I could not get that many calories into my stomach!
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am not at all an expert but I would suggest starting your morning with more protein & less fruit (sugar). Eggs, bacon, even a protein shake?? Having all that sugar will spike your blood sugar & you'll end up craving more later (binging) I know the cycle too well myself! Feel free to add me for support! :)
  • foxxykitten
    foxxykitten Posts: 19
    Options
    Added protein powder to my breakfast today! Cut the fruit down to an apple, banana, and some grapes… Work in progress, but it's definitely true that food is fuel!