Replies

• MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Rack your damn weights!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When walking back and forth through the free weight area, respect the "bubble" of space around someone who is lifting and in the middle of a set, or wait until they are finished with their set to walk right next to them.

It is so freaking distracting to have someone walk right up into your space when you're trying to concentrate on getting those last few reps done. I hate it when people walk too close to me and I feel like I have to stop lifting because I might hit them with a weight.

Also agree with taking two steps back from the dumbbell rack so others can access the equipment while you are doing endless reps of curls/rows.
  • MyPureSteez
    Options
    Don't STINK but don't come in smelling like a AXE commercial
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    What is proper ettiquite on doing heavy shrugs in the squat rack when there really isn't any open space to do them on the floor?

Does your gym really have no intermediate racks of any kind? Just a full squat rack or nothing?

thats all my gym has. if you want to use olympic bar curls you have your choice of two flat benches, one inclined bench, one declined bench or the squat rack.

i will use the squat rack if one flat bench is taken if the inclined bench and declined are not being used i will survey the area to see if anyone is doing chest at the moment. if they are then i go to the squat rack.

if someone else is doing legs and someone is doing chest, i pick one flat bench.

if many are doing chest and a few doing legs, i swap out olympic bar curl with something else
  • ednaflores619
    ednaflores619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, be courteous of others first and foremost.

Also -
    when you are finished using something put it away
    if you sweat all over equipment, wipe it down
    use equipment for what it is meant for, if what you are doing can be done somewhere else then don't use specialized equipment (aka don't curl in the squat rack)
    if you have questions/need help then ask someone
    don't slam stuff around or be extra dramatic
    if you check someone out, be discreet not creepy
    blow dryers in the locker room are not meant for your entire body
    seriously, don't take my spot in class.

Agree. Do not take my spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Zumba, I would like to be able to take 10 sec to get a sip of water without losing my spot. Also, if you are late to class, don't cram an area and expect others to move for you when there is plenty of space elsewhere.
  • MyPureSteez
    Options
    WIPE it DOWN (even if you think it doesn't need wiping down)

I'm the guy who wipes down before and after. I know it pisses the non-wipers off but good!
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Throw weights, make loud noises while lifting, jump from one machine to the next, hit on girls...

^ this.
    also, curl in the squat rack and those shower stalls are ALL made for 2 people. it actually conserves water, so hop into the first occupied shower stall you see.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Where to begin....LOL....JK. Just use common sense and you should be good. Study everyone else to see what they are doing and go with the flow.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    shower stalls are ALL made for 2 people. it actually conserves water, so hop into the first occupied shower stall you see.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MyPureSteez
    Options
    Don't bother me (my ear-buds are in a for a reason) Grown man work going on over here!
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Most of my pet peeves have alreayd been listed.The two biggest are not wiping down sweaty equipment and coming late to class.

The one I didn't see yet it using the toilet stalls as your personal private changing area. My gym is small - it is for employees of my building only. There are only 3 toilet stalls in the women's changing room. There is a large community changing area where the lockers are. If you are so self conscious and you simply cannot change in front of other women, there are ten showers stalls, each with a separate curtained off changing area.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    The locker room should not smell like an autopsy
    Don't talk to me, I didn't come here for that
    Wipe up the DNA, please
    Cover yourself or at least act modest/ surprised when I walk in the locker room
  • AliBuffer
    Options
    Rule #1

WORKOUT.
    Please don't come to chat, read, or play-workout in your jeans you've worn all day. It's just awkward
  • ednaflores619
    ednaflores619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't come in late to a class with a several friends all being loud, and then crowd out the people who got there on time and picked their spot before the class started, particularly when there is plenty of room on the other side of the room. We all ended up having to re-arrange part way through.

I used to go to a zumba class where I did end up coming in late a lot..it was the only one of that type in a reasonable distance, but the time between getting off work and the class start was pretty tight so if the traffic was bad I'd end up slightly late. But I was always already dressed, ready to set my stuff down and go, and slipped into the back of the class as unobtrusively as possible. It was a big big room with plenty of room and the door by the back of the room.

Oh my, I just wrote about this. I get there 10 minutes early to get my spot on the 2nd row at the end closest to a wall because I am a tall and big girl and I am being considerate to not block the people behind me. Then, there is that one little cutsie girl who walks in 5-10 min late and crams me and expects me to move over. Heck no. All of a sudden my steps get wider and my arms reach out further. They give up and move. Yep!!!!
  • MyPureSteez
    Options
    How'd did this guy really just come in here in jeans and flip flop's?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

6) At busy times do not use Cardio equipment more than 30 minutes.

But ... But my old trainer said that the first 25 minutes of cardio "don't do anything for you and are useless. you don't even START burning fat until about 20 mins in ..."

I think there's a reason he's my former trainer ...
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Don't bother me (my ear-buds are in a for a reason) Grown man work going on over here!

can i get a spot, brah?
    Rule #1

WORKOUT.
    Please don't come to chat, read, or play-workout in your jeans you've worn all day. It's just awkward

psh please! i dont tell you what to do at the gym, so you cant tell me. if i wanna pay a monthly fee to watch curvy chicks walk on a treadmill, then thats my prerogative!

bobbie-brown_1452815a-e1344985568531.jpg?w=457&h=372
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Cant agree more with the others that are saying wipe down the machines.

There is an older dude at my Goodlife that seems to do nothing but shoulders and wow does he sweat but he never wipes down the machines.

Question....should I say something to him or to the staff or leave it alone?
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you're a man... stay out of the women's only area. Seriously, its bad enough that its round the back of the gym, and quite damp, without having a man in there because the "normal" section is busy. I know some people don't agree with women's only sections, but I am far too intimidated at the moment to lift with the very strong, very intimidating looking men!
  • MyPureSteez
    Options
    Just wipe down before for you use it (and give them a look of disgust as you throw the wipe away).