Cottage Cheese

Options
StrongAndHealthyMommy
StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
Please don't laugh...

I have never tried cottage cheese, but I see that a lot of people eat it and like it..... so I got some cottage cheese...

How can I eat it?
What can I put in it?

Advices please!!!! Thank you pals!

Replies

• GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like mine with crushed pineapple or some other fruit on top as breakfast, lunch, or dessert.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You can cut the insides out of a tomatoes and mix it with some salt/pepper/cottage cheese/dill and then stuff it back in the tomato shell. They are really good that way.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Honestly I love it straight out of the container

Other options:
    Cottage cheese topped with drained canned peaches (light syrup)
    Also I top it with Barlean's Key Lime swirl oil which is a very high source of Omega-3s

Easy fun low cal recipe - Orange Fluff
    2 - 11 oz cans of mandarin oranges, drained
    1 - 15 oz can of crushed pinapple, drained
    1 - 16 oz container of cottage cheese
    2 small packages of sugar free orange jello
    2 cups whipped cream (or 1 - 16 oz container of sugar free cool whip)

Toss everything together and refrigerate for a couple hours before serving.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    Thank you guys!!
  • d3va
    d3va Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat the 2% cottage cheese because the fat free just doesn't taste as good. I add grape jelly to my cottage cheese - it's super delicious and I consider it afternoon snack or after dinner snack because its sweet but has protein to keep me feeling fuller (high content of casein protein a longer-lasting protein) . The calorie and fat difference between fat free and low fat is small so I go with the 2% low fat because of the taste.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I used to love it with fruit mixed in but lately I've just been eating it by itself. I only eat it sweet, too scared to try it savory.

Anyway, you can do fruit cocktail mix, pineapple, peaches, strawberries, etc. Any fruit really. Oh and I have an idea in my head that would be awesome. Take some strawberries and put them in a small pot and add a little bit of honey to sweeten. Bring it up to boil and reduce the heat down to low-ish. Let it cook for a few minutes and kinda mash it up to make a compote of sorts. Refrigerate it for a little while to let it get cold and then mix that with cottage cheese. Haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it'd be like those pre-made cottage cheese & fruit cups at the store.
  • ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I usually get 2% small curd. (I tried the no-salt and it was gross.. i loaded that container up with salt!)

I usually eat it plain, with pepper, fruit spread mixed in (strawberry is awesome), or eat it with fresh fruit such as pineapple, strawberries, etc. also great with tomato.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is one of those foods you can make salty or sweet. you can put it in a sweet protein shake or have it with some salt and pepper and avocado. experiment!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I had trivia, and powdered cinnamon, nutmeg ang ginger. Also banana if i have the calories. Yum
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try the sea salt cottage cheese. So much beter on the sodium.
    I use it in salad to cut down on dressing. Do up my greans, straberries (or cranberries), almonds, roasted chicken.
    I use it with fruit salad.
    On baked potato with chopped jalapeno and tomatoes (looks pretty too)
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I like mine with black pepper and I use reduced fat wheat thins as chips to use it as dip. mmmm

I put it in my sweet protein shakes too. I havent been able to get into the fruit and cottage cheese though. Something with it doesnt set right with me.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    I used to love it with fruit mixed in but lately I've just been eating it by itself. I only eat it sweet, too scared to try it savory.

Anyway, you can do fruit cocktail mix, pineapple, peaches, strawberries, etc. Any fruit really. Oh and I have an idea in my head that would be awesome. Take some strawberries and put them in a small pot and add a little bit of honey to sweeten. Bring it up to boil and reduce the heat down to low-ish. Let it cook for a few minutes and kinda mash it up to make a compote of sorts. Refrigerate it for a little while to let it get cold and then mix that with cottage cheese. Haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it'd be like those pre-made cottage cheese & fruit cups at the store.

sounds yummy
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    Try the sea salt cottage cheese. So much beter on the sodium.
    I use it in salad to cut down on dressing. Do up my greans, straberries (or cranberries), almonds, roasted chicken.
    I use it with fruit salad.
    On baked potato with chopped jalapeno and tomatoes (looks pretty too)

that salad sounds great
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    I had a chive and onion one which i mixed into the egg for an omelette. Very tasty. Or with jacket potato...
  • laurahnl
    laurahnl Posts: 1
    Options
    Mix in banana and a little honey. I saw the recipe online and thought it sounded gross but decided to try it and now it's a regular thing for me.
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just had it for breakfast :P
    I eat it with jam, berries, fruits...
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    Im so excited for tomorrow... I will have cottage cheese for breakfast!
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    savory: mix it with (not all at once :)) salt, pepper, herbs (basil, chives, parsley), sun-dried tomatoes (heaven!!), cumin, curry powder, paprika, onions/garlic. You can eat it with celery sticks, grilled button mushrooms, next to an omelette, baked potatoes/sweet potatoes, on top of a steak, in a tortilla etc.

sweet: i don't like it too sweet. Combine it with some honey/splenda/sweetener of choice, add a few droplets of vanilla extract and you are good to go. Top with fruit if you want to. I love it next to some pancakes (paleo for me) and drizzle everything with a tsp of honey. You can also fill crepes with it or make cheesecake out of it (base: crushed nuts like almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts mixed with a bit of butter, filling: fat free cream cheese, eggs, sweetener of choice, vanilla, grated citrus peel, a dollop of sour cream. topping: fresh mango).

Its one of the most versatile things I have ever eaten. Im paleo so I "shouldnt" eat cheese, but I am not giving up on my cottage cheese and goat cheese- so much protein in a bite! Also, I have no issues with lactose or casein so I don't see the problem.

Enjoy your cottage cheese, its awesome!
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I mix it through tuna, with a red onion and then use it as a filling for a jacket potato. I also mix it through salad and put it in a Pita bread. Mixed through tuna is my favourite though :)
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    blend with smoked salmon and lemon juice, eat with vegs eg carrots etc