Counting Calories: Not for Me

Options

Replies

• ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get a grip. Your post just makes me think you don't have enough understanding of nutrition and how to manipulate it to make changes in your body.

Gee, I made it quite apparent that I have a problem with food. (Which is a symptom and not the main issue, as with anyone with an ED.) I'll try to get a grip though, just for you.

I'd actually say I know a considerable amount about nutrition. I'm certainly *not* an expert or professional by any means, but I've read a bevy of information about healthy weight-loss and nutrition, and I've learned many things about cooking and eating in more healthful ways. Please don't assume I'm ignorant and I won't assume you're a jerk by the insensitivity of your post. ^_^
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    First of all, please ignore the rude commentors who stepped in merely to make themselves feel cool. It's quite the common thing around the message boards.

Secondly, if counting calories arises ED tendencies in you, I strongly suggest to stop counting calories. I don't count mine either, because doing so can cause psychological issues for me. It just doesn't work.

As far as being a special snowflake, you are in fact. Every one who is a member here has a unique story and if someone doesn't want to count calories, so be it.

Oh my gloob, thank you! It's nice to hear that someone understands what I mean without being a judgmental prick! XD I think that for some people, counting calories stirs up a very negative mantra in the brain that propels them to behave in an illogical and unhealthy way. I really don't think it's for everyone, regardless of whether one's doing it "right" or not. It aggravates me that some people assume there's only one right way for everyone. I think that part of my struggle has involved believing in that falsity.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    I'd encourage undertaking some sort of activity that will build the mental toughness and resiliance you're lacking to succeed at anything in life.

Woooow, THAT is the sweetest thing I've ever heard! You're giving me diabetes, like for serious. With angels pinions, you've just lifted my sullen day from the doldrums of despair. How will I ever repay you? ; )
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Does looking at your bank statement cause erratic spending?

Hxll Yes!
    Plenty of $$ in the bank = not much interest in shopping
    Broke with more month left = tempted by every impulse item in the store

The Principle of Scarcity does not just apply to macro economics.

The Doritos Conundrum:
    I am having a good day, not worried about calories, I grab a handful of chips from the bag, put them on the plate, and eat them in the other room. I enjoy the eating experience while watching tv and don't think any else about it.
    or
    I'm having a bad day, I am going to go "over" on my calories, the bag says a serving size is 6 chips. I count six PERFECT chips onto a plate (no broken chips unless two broken ones count as one whole chip). I attempt to relish each individual chip without paying attention to tv or anything else around me because I ONLY HAVE SIX! The experience does not satiate but frustrates --- I end up sneaking downstairs at midnight and eating the rest of the bag.

I know I'm not the only one --- that's why I'm on here.

Perhaps we need to petition MFP to make Calories an OPTIONAL instead of required component of the Daily Diary.
    Of course, it is to the advantage of their advertisers to keep us all counting our calories tightly and obsessing over those little details -- it makes us more susceptible to the ads for McDs, Chili's, etc. that are so pervasive on this "health" site.
    Let us never forget that the true purpose of this site from the perspective of its owners is to sell ad space and make money.
    All of our chatter and support and trolling etc. just provides them a more amble and successful medium for their merchandizing.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    ^ Nice!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You. Are. Not. A. Special. Snowflake.

Chances are you're just doing it wrong.

Wow, did you even read the post?
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    As far as being a special snowflake, you are in fact. Every one who is a member here has a unique story and if someone doesn't want to count calories, so be it.

The point is that the same rules apply to everyone as far as nutrition and diet are concerned unless you have diagnosed medical issues. The fact that the OP doesn't like counting calories because she becomes "too obsessed" is hardly a problem. You need to be obsessed to succeed. If anything it sound like she needs a psychiatrist.

Life tip: Please do not EVER try to speak to someone with any mental disorder, including eating disorders. You obviously have absolutely NO idea how these things work and how idiotic you sound.

OP, counting is not for everyone. I've had to stop a few times too because I found myself crying over whether to go out with my friends and go over on calories, or stay home all alone but keep to my goal. I don't think life should be like that. I've reached most of my weight loss goals and I'm much happier when I'm not counting calories. Do what works for you! Your mental health is just as important as your physical health!
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options
    (Brace yourself for brutal honesty, lol.)

Okay, so I've just realized that I really need to stop counting calories. I can't seem to manage without being subdued by ED behaviors (in my case, binging/purging) I don't know that I'd consider what I have to be bulimia, (due to frequency) but I definitely have exhibited bulimic tendencies off and on for at least the past year. While I became far more obsessed with weight-loss/body image/fitness than I've ever been in my life, I didn't start binging and purging until I began counting calories.

were your calories too low?

bingeing is a normal survival response to eating too few calories. That doesn't mean all bingeing is caused by that, because sometimes it's purely a psychological thing, but IMO that needs to be ruled out before diagnosing yourself with a psychological problem. So when someone only starts binge eating in response to calorie counting or any particular diet they started, IMO there's a strong likelihood that they were undereating significantly, and the binges were the body's survival responses kicking in. Purging is not a survival response, but it is a response to the binge that just happened, most people feel really guilty after a binge, because they think they did something bad and terrible.... rather than seeing it for what it is, a survival response caused by eating too little. many people respond to binges by being more restrictive with their diet or exercising excessively, or purging, and all of these actually make the problem worse, not better, because the body is still deprived of the food that it needs, the survival response of bingeing is going to kick in again sooner or later, and the more restrictive you are, the more likely it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

The way to stop this, is to stop the excessive calorie restriction. Bring your calorie intake back up to a healthy level. If you're already fairly lean, you should not eat less than TDEE -10%. If you are unable to do that due to psychological issues such as fear of weight gain, fear of eating that much, etc, then seek professional help. Additionally, if you're absolutely certain that you were not undereating, and that the bingeing is purely psychological, seek professional help for that.

I think it's probably been both for me; the physical as well as the psychological. I'm familiar with the mental aspect, and I know why (to a certain extent) I'm triggered to behave irrationally. However, "fixing" it is not as simple as just will power, and I think there are some aspects of myself that will never be "fixed", so to speak.

I'd been trying to eat between 1500-1800 calories, and I'd considered upping them for the very reasons you've illustrated. However, I'm not sure it's going to do me any good. I have enough internal demons as it is, and the constant thought/allure/nag of food isn't helping accomplish any of my goals. That's why I think it may be best to stop counting at all. I feel as if the added stress is only hindering my progress.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I'm considering stopping with tracking, too.

My reason is that I still struggle with EDNOS tendencies, and I refuse to get sucked back into the ED world this many years outside of recovery (8 years ago - hospitalized and "recovered" but still kept the obsession up, disguised as dieting sometimes, and other times totally binge eating and gaining an insane amount of weight very quickly).

If MFP is making you more obsessed, then I agree it may be time to log off and stop counting. If you need MFP to make sure that you are eating enough, then maybe stick around and also look into seeking counseling for your ED behaviors.

Just a couple of thoughts, along with some (((HUGS))). :flowerforyou:
  • jade14b
    jade14b Posts: 22
    Options
    Long story short, no, you do not have to count calories to loose weight. Many people choose to count calories because they never really thought about what theyw were eating before and counting the calories gives them that "wake up call." Some people count calories because they like the sense of control/ structure that comes with it. Others count for other reasons. Many healthy people do not count calories. They simply choose to exercize, eat healthily, eat when hungry, and eat reasonaable portions. People have been healthy for thousands of years without counting calories. As long as you are in a deficit, you will loose weight.

I count but I can relate to your choice not to. It really can make an ED worse. I, like you, have a tendency to obsess about my weight loss and food. I have come a long way, and while I have never binged and purged, in the past I have resorted to taking ephedrine based diet pills and have even gone as far as putting something in my mouth to eat it ( a doughnut hole) and then spitting it out. This was a wake up call for me. Seriously, that one doughnut hole was not going to make me obese or even overweight.

So sure, do not count if it makes you unhealthy. Instead try to walk or jog a local park for an hour every evening after dinner. Think of a healthy (key word here is HEALTHY, not just thin) body role model and maybe try to ask yourself questions throughout the day like "what did Jessica Alba do to get there?" or "How many of these could Jessica Alba eat everyday and still have her smoking bod?"
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get a grip. Your post just makes me think you don't have enough understanding of nutrition and how to manipulate it to make changes in your body.

Gee, I made it quite apparent that I have a problem with food. (Which is a symptom and not the main issue, as with anyone with an ED.) I'll try to get a grip though, just for you.

I'd actually say I know a considerable amount about nutrition. I'm certainly *not* an expert or professional by any means, but I've read a bevy of information about healthy weight-loss and nutrition, and I've learned many things about cooking and eating in more healthful ways. Please don't assume I'm ignorant and I won't assume you're a jerk by the insensitivity of your post. ^_^

Why does food cause such a different reaction to anything else in life that has boundaries. Does knowing you have to live to a certain budget, or drive on the correct side of the road, or follow protocol in your job cause such a strong reaction?
  • GreenChile3
    Options
    try Paleo. you dont have to count calories and you can eat as much as you want; it's a bit restrictive but you get used to it. Think of it as fuel for your body
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think theres a happy medium between the perceived insensitive jerks and the people who are 100% understanding. Obviously counting calories has triggered something for you that is very negative. This is not a normal response, and you seem to understand there is an underlying problem that needs to be resolved. I hope for your health that you find a way to cope or a way to solve the underlying issues you have with food. I'm not an expert, I don't know you, and I hate to speculate on what might be the cause of your problem, but I like to think of food as fuel. We have such an emotional connection to food, that I like to eliminate that and think of it as needing calories, needing nutrients. I find foods I enjoy eating that fit my goals, and I eat them when its convenient and sometimes when my body needs them most (carbs and protein in the post workout 30 minute window, for instance). Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't. Good luck!

Someone else mentioned that calorie counting isn't for them b/c they have issues if they should go out with friends and go over their count or stay in and be a slave to the number. This comes down to goals... If you are counting calories your goal is obviously to lose, gain, or maintain weight. Calorie counting is merely a way to achieve this goal. Is that goal more important than your social life, your friends, your personal life, work, etc? It probably shouldn't be... Can you modify your behavior to achieve both goals? Yes... there are plenty of people on here that drink go out with friends (me included on occasion) and manage to achieve our fitness and health goals. You eat better when you go out, you choose lower calorie drinks that you still enjoy, and you live your life. Plus one day going 300 calories over isn't going to kill your goal, you'll get it back... Just don't make it a habit, and do better next time.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You. Are. Not. A. Special. Snowflake.

Chances are you're just doing it wrong.

Love it when people don't even bother reading the post

I read the post, twice. My point still stands.

The point is that you haven't made any point... But ok....
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    try Paleo. you dont have to count calories and you can eat as much as you want; it's a bit restrictive but you get used to it. Think of it as fuel for your body

Yes, let's recommend a restrictive diet to someone with ED tendencies *facepalm* :noway:
  • LaurenAOK
    Options

Someone else mentioned that calorie counting isn't for them b/c they have issues if they should go out with friends and go over their count or stay in and be a slave to the number. This comes down to goals... If you are counting calories your goal is obviously to lose, gain, or maintain weight. Calorie counting is merely a way to achieve this goal. Is that goal more important than your social life, your friends, your personal life, work, etc? It probably shouldn't be... Can you modify your behavior to achieve both goals? Yes... there are plenty of people on here that drink go out with friends (me included on occasion) and manage to achieve our fitness and health goals. You eat better when you go out, you choose lower calorie drinks that you still enjoy, and you live your life. Plus one day going 300 calories over isn't going to kill your goal, you'll get it back... Just don't make it a habit, and do better next time.

That was me that said that, and I 100% agree with you. I have gone over on calories plenty of times and still reached my goals. However, mentally it was becoming a struggle for me. I would literally cry over the decision to go out with friends. That's not healthy or normal, and it's why I stopped counting. We can't always control the way things affect us mentally. Calorie counting was going great for me, and then all of a sudden it wasn't. Now I only count occasionally (for a couple weeks at a time to make sure I'm staying on track). I've reached all my goals to date and now I'm striving for my dream body, and slowly getting there. Calorie counting is a great method for losing weight; however, it CAN trigger ED tendencies in some people. Obviously those people should avoid this method.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works for me, most of the time. Sometimes it is discouraging. If its not working for you, and it sounds like that is the case, there are ways to lose weight without counting calories. Weight Watchers has a diet where you eat foods from a list, but never count the calories, and you eat until you are satisfied. There is the Red Light Green Light Eat Right diet. It was designed for kids/teens, but there is an adult plan, too. I am sure there are other diets with no calorie counting. I know someone that lost 100 pounds just by writing down everything he ate. Keeping track of it, helped him realize when he over ate. He never did add up the calories. Also if you have ED tendencies have you considered seeing a counselor, just to help you work through it. It can be helpful.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Why does food cause such a different reaction to anything else in life that has boundaries. Does knowing you have to live to a certain budget, or drive on the correct side of the road, or follow protocol in your job cause such a strong reaction?
    Why do some people have road rage, and others don't? Why do some people find it easy to live within a budget and others struggle? Why do some people have ED or ED tendencies and others don't? This is just a weakness that needs to be overcome.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I have suffered from OCD since I was a kid and also went through a bout with an ed in my late teens. I don't think everyone who has offered their "help" have any kind of understanding about triggers and mental issues. It is very obvious in the idiotic posts on this thread. If food and more specific counting calories triggers these issues for you then I would first suggest speaking to a phsychiatrist to work through your issues.

There really aren't any cures for OCD or EDs. They can be controlled but most will have to be diligent about keeping the disordered thinking to a minimum. For me I find that counting calories aggravates my OCD and ED. It is about control and it sometimes manifests itself in specific triggers. For me calculating my calories is a trigger but other things would be fine for me to do like balance a check book.

I only count calories when I have to adjust my intake. Recently my activity level went up and it caused my maintenance cals to go up as well. I will count for a week or two to adjust to the new calorie intake but then I will stop logging unless my weight and or energy level changes. It has worked for me, I have lost 130lbs (125lbs of that maintained for two years without counting).

Those who are cluless about triggers and mental issues, please don't offer you "help" as you have no clue what you are talking about.