Best exercise for toning abs

Options
Hi there,

I need some advice. I have been doing so well with my weight loss and exercise. However, it seems like my tummy never tones up. I have 5cm's to lose and never seem to see any progress.

I do have a sever back injury - so sit ups, weights etc is totally out of the question.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to tone the stomach muscles. I hear water jogging is good, apart from getting fitter, will it tone my stomach muscles too? :sad:

Hope to hear from someone soon, before I throw in the towel.

:noway:

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know this too.
    My stomach has gotten a lot smaller but it needs some serious toning!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that will cause you to lose fat around your stomach (or any other specific area)

The only thing that causes your stomach to appear toned is a very low body fat level, which you get by losing fat from all over your body.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    http://printableworkouts.com/

anyone can add me
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Abs are carved in the kitchen.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I read on a post here a while back that apparently it is 60% diet and 40% exercise.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Preparing green vegetables seems to do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that will cause you to lose fat around your stomach (or any other specific area)

The only thing that causes your stomach to appear toned is a very low body fat level, which you get by losing fat from all over your body.

this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i hope you logged that to get your exercise calories
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too have a back problem, and while I know you can't spot reduce, I have found that after losing about 14lbs my tummy was smaller, and my abs are peeking through the fat that is left! So. I have found that bodyweight squats are fine and don't aggravate the back, and, done properly, they strengthen the core and you can really feel it working lots of muscles, including those longed-for tummy muscles. A strong core will really help you look after your back too.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

This.
  • 711lucia
    711lucia Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you. I'll take this into account.

:glasses:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

agreed
  • hippypippy84
    Options
    Hula hooping is low impact and tones the whole core. Fab for burning calories too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

this!

Another vote for this.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

this!

Another vote for this.

I 3rd!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Once again, this.

I'm sick of the amount of times I've heard women say they want to tone their abs. It means absolutely nothing. Your skin is an organ, you can't lose fat from one area only. Also, doing sit-ups makes no different if your stomach is covered with a layer of flab.
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pilates is wonderful, and very easy/good on the back. Try Rael Pilates system. It starts you with 7 basic moves, and progresses you up to 27 strengthening moves.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Burn more cals than you eat
    Add some cardio
    Planks/Pushups
    Kettlebell exercises

This is what works best for my body.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I read on a post here a while back that apparently it is 60% diet and 40% exercise.

More like 80% diet... They are definitely made in the kitchen.. That is my weakness. I love to eat. So while the rest of me is looking good, and even my abs look better, they are not as 'toned' as I'd like. Eat well, exercise and you will see results