Pre-diabetic

Options
kiffypooh
kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
Hello All,
So my dad is pre-diabetic and my mom isn't sure what to buy for him. I do not know anything about what diabetics should and should not eat so I thought I would ask on here. His biggest issue is night time snacking. He loves fruit and ice cream and eats a lot of it. What are some basics I can share with my mom so she can make good choices when shopping? He is not really ready to make a life style change so she's trying to work with that. I think if we could provide him with a list of foods that he would like he would feel more empowered to make good choices. I also feel that if he can see that little changes can make a big difference in his weight it will motivate him to make much better choices. I can see he is struggling with this and I just want to help.
Thank you!

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am scared to death of becoming diabetic. My A1c is climbing and the doctor told me today that the best thing to do is to watch your total calorie intake. So my suggestion would be to start with small substitutions. Add a few more vegies to meals. Substitute Ice cream with low fat ice cream. Fruit isn't quite as bad as the ice cream is. Suggest that he takes a walk in the evening instead of snacking. He will probably feel better. Unfortunately, if he doesn't make changes even small ones the pre diabetes is going to become full blown diabetes. I have seen so much pain and difficulty come from diabetes in people that I have decided I don't want to deal with it so I am making changes now to attempt to prevent that in me. You can tell him you are worried about him, give him a little tough love. Tell him it isn't about changing everything but taking one step in the right direction a little at a time. Make it a family affair. Go for walks together. It has been shown that 30 min of exercise in the morning helps to decrease blood sugars through the day. Ok, I will get off my soap box--

So as far as a list goes--go back to the basics

Poultry--boneless skinless, white meat preferred
    Fish--salmon, mahi-mahi and tuna are my favs
    pork tenderloin
    lean beef

All fresh or frozen vegies.

Avoid--high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, premade cookies, candies, crackers(save those for special occasions)

Ultimately each meal should consist of a protein, vegetable and a carbohydrate. So have mahi-mahi, grilled, some asparagus and some rice. Or pork tenderloin cooked in the crockpot all day with some bbq sauce on a roll with mixed vegies.
    The deal is that you don't need to change everything over night, just make "simple swaps" to a healthier life style.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck!
  • debnu1
    Options
    Just because I believe knowledge is power, read this article... http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100302/prediabetes-precautions-often-ignored
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have a similar organisation in America, if that is where you are from, but diabetes Australia provides some great free diet info http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/en/Living-with-Diabetes/Eating-Well/

For pre-diabetes, weight loss and increased exercise are really the most powerful tools in preventing the development of diabetes.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Here's a "what you can eat" from the American Diabetes. Have your mom flip the box of everything and check the sugar.....things like Baby Carrots seem great but made my dad's sugars go sky high.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Just about everything I read online is the same for diabetes as weight loss....

Snacking Smart with Diabetes
    Planning meals is important for managing diabetes, but what about snacks?

When it comes to snacking, people often think of foods that are high in sugar or added fats but you have lots of other options.

Snacks can help curb hunger while adding a nutritious energy boost to your day. But that means choosing foods wisely.

It’s a great opportunity to fit in another serving of whole grains, fruits, or vegetables! These foods are lower in fat and calories compared to most salty snacks and sweets. They will also fill you up and give you the energy you need.

Regardless of how many snacks your meal plan includes, portion sizes are the key to controlling your blood glucose and avoiding weight gain. So, resist those trips to the vending machine – plan ahead and pack a healthy snack!

Below are a few snack ideas listed by how much carb they contain.

Snacks with less than 5 grams of carbohydrate
    •3 celery sticks + 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter
    •5 baby carrots
    •5 cherry tomatoes + 1 Tablespoon ranch
    •1 hard-boiled egg
    •1 cup cucumber slices + 1 Tablespoon ranch dressing
    •¼ cup of fresh blueberries
    •1 cup of salad greens, 1/2 cup of diced cucumber, and with vinegar and oil
    •1 frozen sugar-free popsicle
    •1 cup of light popcorn
    •2 saltine crackers
    •10 gold-fish crackers
    •16 green olives
    •½ cup sugar-free gelatin
    •1 piece of string cheese stick
    •2 Tablespoons pumpkin or sesame seeds
    •¼ of a whole avocado (~4 g.)
    About 10-20 grams of carbohydrate
    •½ cup almonds or other nuts
    •¼ cup dried fruit and nut mix
    •1 cup chicken noodle, tomato (made with water), or vegetable soup
    •1 small apple or orange
    •3 cups light popcorn
    •1/3 cup hummus + 1 cup raw fresh cut veggies (green peppers, carrots, broccoli, cucumber, celery, cauliflower or a combination of these)
    •¼ cup cottage cheese + ½ cup canned or fresh fruit
    •1 cheese quesadilla (made with one 6-inch corn or whole wheat tortilla + 1 oz shredded cheese) + ¼ cup salsa
    •2 rice cakes (with a 4-inch diameter) + 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
    •5 whole wheat crackers (or ¾ oz) + 1 piece of string cheese
    •½ turkey sandwich (1 slice whole wheat bread + 2 oz turkey + mustard)
    •½ cup tuna salad + 4 saltines
    About 30 grams of carbohydrate (good to eat before exercise)
    •½ peanut butter sandwich (1 slice whole wheat bread + 1 Tablespoon peanut butter) + 1 cup milk
    •6 oz light yogurt + ¾ cup berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or a combination of these)
    •1 English muffin + 1 teaspoon low-fat tub margarine
    •3/4 cup whole grain, ready-to-eat cereal + ½ cup fat-free milk
    •1 medium banana + 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
    Tips to remember:
    •Know your portion sizes beforehand, and if you aren’t sure, use measuring cups and spoons!
    •Don’t forget to count the carbs into your overall meal plan!
    •Avoid mindless snacking in front of the TV, reading, or while driving
    •Stock up on healthy options and avoid shopping when you are hungry to decrease temptation the store
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,711 Member
    Options
    My dad had full-blown diabetes, and he watched his food very carefully. Some of the things that helped him were eating complex carbs instead of simple ones, eating protein with carbs, and eating smaller meals more often. These are all things I try to do so I don't follow in my dad's footsteps and develop diabetes myself. I DO try to follow in his footsteps when it comes to the example he set for how to deal with it, though. :heart:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    My dad had full-blown diabetes, and he watched his food very carefully. Some of the things that helped him were eating complex carbs instead of simple ones, eating protein with carbs, and eating smaller meals more often. These are all things I try to do so I don't follow in my dad's footsteps and develop diabetes myself. I DO try to follow in his footsteps when it comes to the example he set for how to deal with it, though. :heart:
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I'll fwd the information onto my mom. I'm not sure my dad would respond really well to knowing I posted anything on here but I will try to help where I can. I really hope I won't have to explain to my almost 3 year old why her papa isn't with us any more when the reason is because he choose to eat badly and not take care of himself.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,711 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I'll fwd the information onto my mom. I'm not sure my dad would respond really well to knowing I posted anything on here but I will try to help where I can. I really hope I won't have to explain to my almost 3 year old why her papa isn't with us any more when the reason is because he choose to eat badly and not take care of himself.
    I hope your dad surprises you and does take good care of himself. My pop did a complete 180 when he was diagnosed. Shocked the crud out of all of us! :happy:
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    He got the news about 6 months ago and his and my mom's mentality on it was, "he will just use insulin" and I kept saying, "it's more then that and it's not that easy." The whole thing kind of died down (although I've noticed he doesn't eat cake at every bday party our family has, which is at least once a month) and he just went in for a check up the other day which re-sparked it. I wish my mom would get on his butt about the whole thing because I know he won't talk to me about it, but she won't. After this post and an email I received from a wonderful person on MFP I think I'm going to take a note card with a picture of his two granddaughters on it and write a heart felt note and leave it for him. I really just want him to see that this doesn't affect just him and my mom and that my daughter loves him so much and it will make her very sad on the day he goes.
    Thank you for all the information and sharing your stories.
  • debnu1
    Options
    Just using insulin scares me. I have seen (I am a nurse) many people who think it is ok to eat whatever and then shoot up with insulin afterwards. These are the ones who are in the hospital going blind, about to go to surgery to lose a leg, and having a heart attack. Food is our most powerful drug. It is the one we have the most control over and really we are what we eat. The body can't survive on sugar alone.

I think your note is the best idea. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    Just using insulin scares me. I have seen (I am a nurse) many people who think it is ok to eat whatever and then shoot up with insulin afterwards. These are the ones who are in the hospital going blind, about to go to surgery to lose a leg, and having a heart attack. Food is our most powerful drug. It is the one we have the most control over and really we are what we eat. The body can't survive on sugar alone.

I think your note is the best idea. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

It scares me to. When I met my husband his roommate was diabetic and he would have to see what we were eating for dinner or rather we were getting ice cream so he knew what he had to do. He would pull out a needle after he would order his dinner and I hate needles. He ended up having a huge seizure in the middle of the night and was lucky my husband was there or he could have been very badly hurt. My family doesn't know anyone besides my grandpa (who pretty much has it under control) who has had issues with diabetes so they don't know how hard it really is. He seemed open to the Splenda my mom had me buy for him, so that's a start. I need to get that note together this weekend.

Thank you again!